Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nolt

1664 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  21:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RANGE DATA
Typical glock reliability so far. 900rds of bang/eject/feed in a row. (500 since frame reduction, 300 since 3.5lb connector installed.) No failures. I will update the bolded round count as I shoot.

Its been awhile since I shot a G30 but shooting it is probably more like shooting a G30 than a G36 naturally. It definitely felt tamer than shooting the G36. I dont know that I would call this thing a VLB.
I would suspect that the reduction in my perceived recoil could perhaps be due to the fact that the grip is thicker and that the force being transferred into your hand is distributed over more area?
Who knows.

If Im just holding the G36 or the G30 frame I would probably say I like the feel of the G36 frame better. But when shooting it I think maybe the G30 frame feels more stable. Easier perhaps for me to keep true.
edit for round count...

PIC UPDATE
Here is the G36 slide on the OD G30 frame sitting next to my G23. In all fairness the G23 does have rubber decal grips that make it look a little bit wider but as you can see here we have an 11 round Glock in 45acp that is marginally thicker than the G23 body. What makes the unmodified G30 so perceptively thick (IMHO) is the fat butter-stick slide...

No rounds through it yet. Im actually thinking about starting a blog on the progress of this. I'll link it here if I do.

UPDATE:
ive got an OD G30 lower on the way to my FFL and im going to be doing extensive testing of this hybrid. my earlier dabbling with it last year with a friends G30 frame and my G36 slide had been festering in the back of my mad scientist mind.

now my unholy glock abomination nears birth.

i totally understand that conventional glock wisdom around here is 'dont with glocks' and i agree to a certain extent, but where i start to wander (wonder?) is when i decide i want something bad enough that im willing to test and analyze and test and analyze and find out if this hybrid will be reliable enough for me to be serious about for defense.

ill post back here when the lower comes in. in addition to the simple frame swap im contemplating considerable frame reduction near the top of the G30 frame. it wouldnt be reasonable to do with a fat G30 slide but with the G36 slide the frame could potentially be reduced up top with only the fatter double-stack grip above the belt.

we'll see.

ORIGINAL POST 10-1-09:
anybody here ever messed around with this?

let me upfront and foremost say that this is not per manufacturer spec and not recommended by the manufacturer and something that people have just stumbled upon and started doing and everyone that does it does it at their own risk. fine.

if you dont know already what im talking about it involves putting a G36 slide (with barrel and gr) on a G30 frame. you literally just slide it off the G36 and slide it right on the G30. no problems with the backplate or extractor or firing pin safety lining up on the backplate notches.

WHY? WTF would you bother doing that? what glorious benefit is worth monkeying around with and potentially sabotoging the incredible reliability of the stock glock?

well to be honest if its reliable and safe it actually pulls in the best of each pistol imho.

personally i chose the G36 over the G30 because the of the bulk of the G30 slide. its wide. its heavy. the G36 slide is the same width of the G19/23/32 slide. the frame of the 19/23/32 is marginally wider than the slide, while the frame of the G36 is flush with the width of the slide.

the thing ive noticed while carrying my G36 and G23 alternatively in the same supertuck is that i hardly notice the extra width of the frame when the slide remained constant.

the G30 width, however, bothers me because its wide from the top to the bottom. no taper. its a brick. i personally find that the G36 slide riding on the G30 frame is much preferable to the G30 stock.

i do not own a G30, but have been mutually experimenting with a friend who has one. weve run several hundred rounds through the hybrid and have had no hiccups whatsoever.

this is a short term project/investigation between the two of us but if i found a G30 frame that someone had for a reasonable price i would snag it up and start shooting it at the range. i would have to say that i would need QUITE a few more rounds through it before trusting it than any stock weapon but its something im thinking about.

hmmmm?

"Bogie"
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  22:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno, my guess is that they thought the .45 would need a bigger slide to support the caliber for the G30, then when they developed the G36, they found that they could go thinner. I bet that they know this, only the managers don't want to spend the $ to change the design, change the machining, etc. They would need to see a big enough % increase in sales of the G30 taken from the competition (not taken away from the G36) to make it worth the while.
Nice find on this. Hope it continues to work flawlessly.
Go to Top of Page

nolt

1664 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  22:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bogie how do you have 0 Posts thats BS... you just posted.

Go to Top of Page

"Bogie"
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  23:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL. yeah, I should be a junior member or something like that by now.
Nathan was going to fix it, but other than not being able to have a signature (at the moment), I enjoy the novelty of being a "0 posts" member.
Go to Top of Page

~Scott~
Starting Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  19:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just brought home the G36 that I bought from FFemt5287/Brandon and swapped the slide with my G30 just to see if it fit like everyone said...

It seems like a fit but man, the G30 frame is horribly thick. I just don't know if I see a benefit there.... I didn't holster it though.
Go to Top of Page

nolt

1664 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  21:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eh well the G30 wont fit in my supertuck but the G30 frame with the G36 slide on it will.

i remember Nathan and others griping about how or why all the polymer pistols have thick slides and frames.

it really WOULD be cool if Glock would make a weapon that was a G36 until you get to the grip. let it be a double stack 45 grip but keep the frame the same width as the (thinner) G36 slide down to the muzzle.
it would tuck nicely.

the G36/30 hybrid doesnt really solve any problems it just kind of hybridizes the two weapons and imho minimizes the downsides of each. in a way though from a geometry standpoint all it does is make it more like an XD. tapered slide and then it gets fatter in the frame.

Go to Top of Page

J.Harris

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  22:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to say that it is pretty awsome that you are experimenting. I personally do not have the B#@@s to "experiment" like that. It is alot of fun to read about. Please keep us updated.

"What you don't see with your eyes, do not invent with your mouth".
Go to Top of Page

Beagle09

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  07:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any pics with the 36 slide on a 30?

John

Go to Top of Page

nolt

1664 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  10:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i do NOT. silly me!
since ive been doing it with a buddy i have not really taken the time to try to take pics of it while we are messing around with our collective hybrid weapon.

i think i can probably find some online that ive seen in the past though...

Go to Top of Page

nolt

1664 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  10:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok check this thread out:
the pictures worth noting are on page 1: general G36 vs G30 slide pics and pics of the G36 slide on the G30 frame etc...
about halfway down...
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894436

and then on page 3 of the same thread here are some pics of the G36/30 hybrid next to a G19:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894436&page=3

in all honesty the pics arent the best.... zonker or i would have been much more successful IMHO of capturing the true comparative sizes but this is all i have to offer up right now.

when i get a chance ill do the pics right.

Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8416 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  12:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all the pics have been deleted? Thats spacial.
Go to Top of Page

nolt

1664 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  12:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i noticed that photobucket or whatever has crapped out.
they were there (at least in MY cache) when i posted that...

Go to Top of Page

nolt

1664 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  22:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok more pics from another thread...

this is G36-slide/G30-body on left and G30-slide/G36-body on right:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/glockhybrid003.jpg
the only reason i guess you would want that big ugly slide on the G36 body is just so you arent wasting anything... a weapon to stash somewhere.

these are comparisons of the G36/30 hybrid next to a G19 (hybrid on the left in both pics):
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/glockhybrid006.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/drc767/glockhybrid005.jpg

again these are not my pics....

edit: linked pics because the were ing up the table

Go to Top of Page

nolt

1664 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  22:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so basically it gives you the 10+1 capacity of the G30 without the 'megacephaly' slide sitting up there.

Go to Top of Page

d strokes
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  22:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nolt

so basically it gives you the 10+1 capacity of the G30 without the 'megacephaly' slide sitting up there.

Yep. That's why I tried it, more capacity. I have a 36 and my friend has a 30, so we tried it (didn't shoot it though) and it seemed to work fine. Fit in the crossbreed well, and handled pretty well too. Also, it was significantly lighter.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Joshua
Advanced Member

3382 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  22:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must have missed this thread last year. That is pretty cool. I'm looking forward to finding out how well it works.

Where did you order the lower from?

Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8416 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  22:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nolt, I'll bet there was not one thing mechanical in your house as a kid that you did not tear down to see how it worked.....hmmm things have not changed, eh?

Make sure you wear your shooting glasses and a kevlar vest....not sure why. Kinda like messin' with mother nature when you mess wit da Glock.

I'll be praying for you in your quest for purely scientific knowledge. Very "Thomas Edison" of you.
Go to Top of Page

nolt

1664 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  09:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well its not like nobodys done it before. =D
i just wanna see if i can get it reliable and maybe shave the frame some more.

fwiw ive not heard or seen anyone thats done it complain of unreliability. i just dont know how many rounds these people have put through them.

Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8416 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  13:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
range report, Nolt...range report. Nice pics, by the way.
Go to Top of Page

nolt

1664 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  14:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alrighty... i just put a set of XS big dots on the slide. so i need to let the locktite set for awhile.

if i had known my FFL was gonna call with the frame i would have not put the sights on and gone immediately to the range... *sigh* i had literally just set the front sight when my FFL called.

i thought i wouldnt have it until next week.

the rear plastic glock site is still on in the above pic obviously. ive got the XS rear in now but im gonna see it if will hold with just the set screws.

Go to Top of Page

nolt

1664 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  22:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well my project is more or less on the back burner now as my parents were in a auto accident and my mom is critically injured.
not sure how its going to play out but i wont be doing nearly as much with this in the near future as i had planned naturally.

but fwiw i have trimmed down the front of the frame roughly. i havent made it smooth and pretty.
before pic:

the area in front of the slide stop notch (toward the muzzle) that bulges out has been reduced down to the width of the G36 slide. AKA the width of the G36 frame.

i dont really want to monkey with the width of the frame around the pins so i felt that the slide stop indentation would be a good place to stop.

why shave the frame at all? well that extra width between the rail and the slide stop indentation basically pushes out on the kydex of the supertuck and inhibits retention. the trigger guard indentation on the kydex of the supertuck can get a proper grip on the guard of the gun because of that lump in the frame.

but now that ive ground it off, the gun snaps in and out of the supertuck nicely.

it really doesnt feel much different than the G36 when holstered in the supertuck in my belt. it definately doesnt feel any different than the G23 does in the same holster. and i use the same holster for both.

the frame shaving ive done is pretty rough. not pretty. ill figure out a way to church it up later i guess. if i decide i give a damn.

and to be clear the frame thinning that ive done doesnt really contribute significantly to the 'feel of a thinner gun in the belt'...
the slide does all that. the slide thinning is really just because i want to use the same holster and i dont care how it looks.

shaved frame (part 1?)

Go to Top of Page

PKL
Advanced Member

USA
2915 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  05:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My best wishes to you and your family at this time Nolt

Living in California and still own lots of guns
Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8416 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  08:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry to hear about your parents. Hang in there, buddy and keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

nmuskier01

USA
1845 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  09:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice model of the M270 MLRS launcher. That was my first MOS in the Army.
Go to Top of Page

nmuskier01

USA
1845 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  09:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Prayers for your family.
Go to Top of Page

nmuskier01

USA
1845 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  09:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Prayers for your family.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Concealed Carry Forum © ConcealedCarryForum.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000