CCW Weaponry
 Considering Glock 30 to Replace S&W Model 457
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tequila

1585 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  17:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told this morning, while asking if they got anymore mags for my current .45 from S&W, that the Model 457 got discontinued. However, I found out that S&W still has spare parts for it in case my piece wears out, which haven't just yet after over 6,000 rds. of shooting. So that means I am sticking with the 457. Only will I replace it with the Glock 30 if the 457 has no more spare parts to get for it if it wears out or no more spare mags available for it. I am currently reluctant to replace it because I already have holsters designed for it as well as 6 reserve unloaded 7-rd. magazines (I currently use 2 loaded 7-rd. magazines and they are still reliable after 13 yrs. of continuous use). But if worse comes to worse, I am considering a Glock 30. Other possible choices are various 1911 subcompacts as well as H&K USP Compact in the same .45 ACP caliber. As for Glocks, are the DAO trigger pull the same in all of them? I rented a full-size Glock .45 once at the range and it did great. The trigger pull is light for a DAO pistol. But I also shot a fellow co-worker's full-size Glock .40 S&W pistol and the DAO trigger pull is much heavier. Because of that, did he modified his Glock to have a heavier trigger? Your comments and advice are welcome.

-H&K USP .40 S&W
-S&W Model 457 .45 ACP
-Mossberg 590 "Special Purpose" 12 ga.
-Rock River Arms LAR-15 "Entry Tactical" .223 Rem./5.56mm

GOA/USCCA/ACLDN/SKFC Member

"Peaceful people sleep soundly in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"-George Orwell

scrike83
Puts the cool in Coolhand

USA
3301 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  18:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tequila

As for Glocks, are the DAO trigger pull the same in all of them? I rented a full-size Glock .45 once at the range and it did great. The trigger pull is light for a DAO pistol. But I also shot a fellow co-worker's full-size Glock .40 S&W pistol and the DAO trigger pull is much heavier. Because of that, did he modified his Glock to have a heavier trigger?

Glocks contrary to popular belief are not DAO, any "true" double action gun will cock the hammer by squeezing the trigger, which means you don't have to cock the hammer manually before the first shot. Glocks are in fact a single action gun, being that you have to cock the hammer before you can squeeze the trigger. Now if you still don't believe me, go get a Glock and dry fire it twice for me!

The standard Glock trigger spring pull weight is around 5.5 lbs, this can be easily altered by a Glock certified armorer in about 3 minutes for around $1 by simply purchasing a different trigger spring. I know that there is a 3.5 lb spring for competetive shooting, as well as the NY#1 8.5 lb and NY#2 11.5 lb trigger springs.

All that said a Glock will serve you well for just about any purpose, but they do take a little time to get used to and are not for everyone. I would say hold on to the S&W for now, even if it's been discontinued they will be making parts for it for sometime I imagine. If possible it might be a good idea to order a set or two of parts that commonly need to be replaced now while they are readily available...JMO

Molôn Labe!!!

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
~Edmund Burke~

Support Our Troops, Until They All Come Home... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L2vpiwvPYI

Go to Top of Page

JBabbler

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  00:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 457 back in the mid 90's. When I got mine they called it the 457 Value edition. I didn't know they still made it. It was a great gun but I traded it off for an 03A3 a few years later.

John has a long mustache
Go to Top of Page

Geoff
Advanced Member

USA
5361 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  05:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glock 30 is a fine weapon, the perfect combination of power and capacity.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Gun Collector, Hunter, Sportsman, and EDUCATED VOTER lol

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Go to Top of Page

FFemt5287
Baron of Obscure Calibers

USA
3577 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  05:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd think the G30 would serve you well. However, don't overlook a good 1911. A compact size 1911 (officer frame with commander 4 or 4.5" barrel) is a very concealable package. I'll take and post some pictures later of my full size next to my compact. HK compact is also a great platform with very flexible trigger options based upon what you'd like/need.

The Baron of Obscure Calibers
Go to Top of Page

1813Anschutz
Advanced Member

USA
2726 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  09:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep and continue to use your S&W 457, your are already up to speed on it, have all the holsters, mags and mag pouches, it is made in the USA and is totally reliable and accurate as well. What more can you ask of a gun? And, you already own it! What a fabulous CCW .45..

Then again, I am a S&W slut...

Randy

"The more I shoot,the LUCKIER I seem to get!"
Go to Top of Page

Tequila

1585 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  18:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate it, guys. I will keep the 457 but I will reconsider the Glock, H&K, and 1911 subcompacts (I will stay away from SA 1911s as well as the ones that only feed on FMJs/1911s are also great and proven over the years but the prices, scary-LOL). I bought the S&W 457 back in 1996, out of the shelf. First time I fired it at the range, it jammed and double fed. But once I cleaned it and tried it for a second time, it never jammed as often like it used to. And even to this day, it remains my backup home defense pistol as well as hot weather CCW carry pistol. As far as the magazines go, they still have new mags for it, but they only hold 6 instead of 7 rds. So if I ever have to buy them once my 7-rd. ones are no longer functional, I am planning to carry 2 instead of just 1 spare magazine to add more firepower. Looking back in 1996 when I first bought it, S&W 457 were some of the few .45 subcompacts around. Glock and H&K didn't even had .45 then. No 1911 subcompacts too. There were other subcompact .45s such as Intratec CAT .45 and Astra .45, now defunct. I almost bought the Astra .45 then but the problem was that it came with only 1 magazine and there are no spare mags at the store. The 457, on the other hand, has a lot of spare mags at the store and to this day, I have 6 reserve/unused/unloaded 7-rd. mags for my 457 in case my first 2 gets worn out, which has not happened as of yet. When I first heard of the 457, it got a lot of good things about it and some even commented that it felt like a Colt Commander. And, for a short-barreled .45, recoil was not even that bad. And it is the first .45 ACP pistol I have ever shot in my lifetime. As a matter of fact, I shoot it much better than the full-size rental 1911s at the range that I have tried. It's just I am used to the 457 already and owning a different one would take some adjustment. And I gotta get different holsters for a different .45 whatever it may be. That is another reason why I am not giving up on the 457 just yet. But it is good to reconsider other 45 pistols if worse comes to worse. Again, I appreciate your comments and also would like to share with you how I owned and preferred a 457, which was around for a long time until it got beat by other new generation .45 subcompacts, which are more superior in performance. And they sure look a heck of a lot better too than the Spartan-looking 457.

-H&K USP .40 S&W
-S&W Model 457 .45 ACP

"Peaceful people sleep soundly in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"-George Orwell
Go to Top of Page

shak
Average Member

554 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  19:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep the 457 and get the Glock. I'm real happy with my G30 and am going to pick up a G36 after the holidays to use as a BUG and for warm weather carry. You can never own too many handguns.

"If common sense were in fact common, everyone would have it."
Go to Top of Page

Tequila

1585 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  19:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's gonna have to be one or the other. Not planning on having a 3rd handgun, which would serve no purpose other than ego. I already have another one before I bought my 457, which is the full-size H&K USP .40, that I use for cold weather CCW and my main home defense handgun. I am keeping my 457. Only will get the Glock if the 457 is no longer serviceable. Like I say, I am stubborn and it's hard for me to give up my current guns or buy another one. After all, I already bought a new gun this year, which is an AR-15 carbine rifle. I promised myself and I am a man of my word. No more guns unless each of them has to be replaced. There are other things I plan to invest in the future than just more extra guns.

-H&K USP .40 S&W
-S&W Model 457 .45 ACP

Go to Top of Page

JDJ
Advanced Member

USA
2794 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  19:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shak

Keep the 457 and get the Glock. I'm real happy with my G30 and am going to pick up a G36 after the holidays to use as a BUG and for warm weather carry. You can never own too many handguns.

Absolutely! I agree with your line of thinking!

NRA Life Member
Glock 27,23OD,22RTF2,30SF
Ruger Super Redhawk .44

Stop whining... Do something and make a difference!
Go to Top of Page

shak
Average Member

554 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  11:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do appreciate Tequilas point of view though. In the last 12 months I've bought 5 handguns and sold 7 and have 4 in the stable right now. If I own too many, choosing which gun to carry is like watching my wife try to choose a pair of shoes for the day.

"If common sense were in fact common, everyone would have it."
Go to Top of Page

Tequila

1585 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  20:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An update. I went to S&W's official website and I was able to find new, extra 7-rd. mags designed for the 457 and I ordered 2 of them from their website. Even though the 457 (which means .45 ACP, 7 rds.) has been discontinued, there are still spare parts and magazines for it. That means the 457 is here to stay and will remain my secondary gun/summer CCW gun unless it is no longer servicable or is lost/stolen. Hopefully it won't happen. I can't give up on it since I already have extra mags/holsters for it over the years.

-H&K USP .40 S&W
-S&W Model 457 .45 ACP

Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8416 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  19:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tequila

An update. I went to S&W's official website and I was able to find new, extra 7-rd. mags designed for the 457 and I ordered 2 of them from their website. Even though the 457 (which means .45 ACP, 7 rds.) has been discontinued, there are still spare parts and magazines for it. That means the 457 is here to stay and will remain my secondary gun/summer CCW gun unless it is no longer servicable or is lost/stolen. Hopefully it won't happen. I can't give up on it since I already have extra mags/holsters for it over the years.

the 457 is a great carry gun. Looks like Smith is doing away with all the metal framed guns. I'm sure you will be able to find parts and mags for that bad boy for a long time to come. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8416 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  20:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shak

I do appreciate Tequilas point of view though. In the last 12 months I've bought 5 handguns and sold 7 and have 4 in the stable right now. If I own too many, choosing which gun to carry is like watching my wife try to choose a pair of shoes for the day.

I know a guy that owns over 20 Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborginis, Aston Martins.....list goes on. I would not know which one to drive every day so I would never make it to work. I guess when you have that much money its no big deal, but seems silly to me. Guess owning more than a couple of pistols is silly too, on a much smaller financial scale....but they're so much fun.
Go to Top of Page

BearTaylor

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  23:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's why I'd be a terrible gun dealer. I probably would want to keep all of my inventory.
Go to Top of Page

Tequila

1585 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2009 :  18:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone. I also think that the reason the 457 is also being phased out is that there is already too much competition and it is not selling like it used to. There are much more superior pistols out there like subcompact 1911s, Glocks, etc. Before then, the 457 was one of the few subcompacts that first came out in the mid 90s. And I liked it because it is easy to find new magazines at the gun stores then.

-H&K USP .40 S&W
-S&W Model 457 .45 ACP

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Concealed Carry Forum © ConcealedCarryForum.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000