New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Niche
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  20:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sig Sauer is known for manufacturing some of the most high quality and reliable handguns on the market. The most popular model - P226, used by the Navy Seals, has built its reputation up to what some would call the gold standard for combat pistols. The P229 seems to be a slightly more compact variant of the P226. It has proven itself on the field as the chosen weapon by both the FBI (.40 cal model) and CIA (.357 Sig model). But enough with the background story (as if it needs one), and on to the review!

P229 Disassembled

Here's the specifications of this model:

Item Number E29R-40-SSE (.40S&W)
Caliber .40S&W
Action Type DA/SA
Trigger Pull DA 10.0 lbs
Trigger Pull SA 4.4 lbs
Overall Length 7.6 in
Overall Height 5.4 in
Overall Width 1.6 in
Barrel Length 3.9 in
Sight Radius 5.7 in
Weight w/Mag 38.0 oz
Mag Capacity 12 Rounds, 14 with Hi-Cap mags
Sights SIGLITE® Night Sights
Grips Custom Rosewood / Crimson Trace Lasergrips
Frame Finish Stainless
Slide Finish Stainless
Accessory Rail Yes
Features Accessory Rail, SRT™ - Short Reset Trigger, Beavertail Frame
MSRP $1,350.00

A look down the iron sights

The P229 comes in many varieties. There are many flavors such as Black Hard Anodized, Nitron, Stainless; along with every combination of the three to give some real unique options. I would also like to note that the beavertail only comes in the "Elite" versions.

T h e U p S i d e :

Quality: This gun screams quality. From the sturdiness of the frame/internals to the excellent finish. You can tell Sig takes pride in their work. It costs more than a grand and you'll be damned if you can't tell.

Rosewood grips are just one of the many top-notch quality touches with this gun. I leave them off at the firing range to preserve their flawless beauty

Accuracy: I'm not a great shot by any means, but with this gun I can have my moments. For a less than 4" barrel this gun can easily perform as well as it's full-sized counterpart, making it "scary" accurate when the laser sight is activated.

Crimson Trace Laser grips are an option to increase functionality. In a stressful situation, a laser lets you concentrate more on the target and less on the sights

Options: Sig has tailored to its fan base by including several additions from the factory that other manufacturers just can't compete with. Easily change your gun's caliber by a mere barrel swap. For instance I can chamber my P229 .40 into a .357 Sig(compatible with .40 S&W Magazine and vice versa) or a 9mm for less than $150. A .22LR conversion kit can be purchased for a little bit more, as it includes an entirely new slide along with the barrel. Talk about plinking in style. Along with that, the factory night sights and SRT(Short Reset Trigger) are options that really enhance the P229 as a target or combat weapon.

Trigger: To me, a trigger can either make or break a gun. In this category the Sig really shines. As I already mentioned the short reset trigger is a great addition to making follow up shots quick and deadly. The trigger pulls smooth and is without any "mushy" or "grit" feeling that plagues many trigger pulls.

Soft Recoil: Simply put, the P229 handles recoil like a king making the .40 caliber feel like a puny 9mm; allowing you to get back on target that much quicker.

Reliability: Not susceptible to FTF, or FTE's on the FMJ or HP ammo I've put through it.

T h e D o w n s i d e :

Weight: The thing is as heavy as a brick, no joke. This gun(in stainless/with beavertail) is NOT a good CCW gun whatsoever. Your pants would not stay up due to the gravity this thing pulls. As for a home defense gun it's not all bad though as the weight soaks up the recoil and in the worst case scenario of running out of ammo, one good swing could send a BG into a coma.

Likes Lube: What can you expect with a Steel on Steel frame? Not to say it wouldn't function without lubrication, but the metal on metal scraping would be too much for me to stand. I recommend using grease rather than oil. A little more maintenance necessary than a typical Polymer frame Metal slide firearm.

C o n c l u s i o n : This has set the bar as far as semi-auto handguns go for me. I find it the most all around enjoyable to shoot pistol from what I've experienced thus far. It's not everyone's cup of tea, that's a fact, but if this gun perks your interest you can bet it'll treat you very VERY good. Highly recommended.

PKL
Advanced Member

USA
2915 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  06:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice gun, I have the same one without the laser.

Living in California and still own lots of guns
Go to Top of Page

LKline
Jew-Jitsu Master

USA
5029 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  09:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an older 229 in 40 and 357sig with no rail. Absolutely love the weapon. It was the first one I ever bought on my own.
Where can you get a 22 conversion kit or 9mm conversion kit for $150 or less?
Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8413 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  11:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beautiful gun and great review. Unfortunately, I have no need for a $1,000+ safe queen.
Go to Top of Page

Niche
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  11:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.40, .357, and 9mm barrels used to be on topgunsupply.com for around $135, they might still have them if not you'd have to look around as they're a bit pricier coming directly from sig. I mentioned in the review that the.22lr kit is a bit more, nearing closer to $300 I believe.
Go to Top of Page

LKline
Jew-Jitsu Master

USA
5029 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  12:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reason I asked is because the 357 sig barrel was tough to find. Ended up getting a previously used law enforcement barrel. $75 on gunbroker.

As for the 9mm conversion, would it just require a new barrel & new mags or would I need to replace the recoil spring or any other parts?
Go to Top of Page

Niche
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2010 :  12:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah you'll need a drop-in barrel, new mags, and a 9mm recoil spring.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Concealed Carry Forum © ConcealedCarryForum.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000