Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ohio9
Advanced Member

USA
4240 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  14:20:14  Show Profile  Send Ohio9 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've decided my next CCW gun is going to be a single stack 9mm subcompact. Now I'm trying to figure out what the best one would be.

So far it's a toss up between a Walther PPS and Kahr PM9. I'd also like to try a Smith and Wesson Chief's special, but I can't find one with a double sided safety (I'm left handed). Also I've considered a Springfield EMP, but so far the price is just too high.

So are there any other types I should check out? And among the ones I've considered, which one is best?

Jonny B

371 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  14:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Jonny B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Between the Kahr and Walther whatever fits your hand best. Both are quality guns.

I kinda like the feel of the PPS myself.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
Go to Top of Page

YeeeahSteve
Advanced Member

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  16:04:04  Show Profile  Send YeeeahSteve an AOL message  Reply with Quote
PPS all the way
Go to Top of Page

"Bogie"
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  16:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consider the KelTec PF-9?
Go to Top of Page

YooperTrav
Average Member

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  16:34:55  Show Profile  Visit YooperTrav's Homepage  Send YooperTrav a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i love walther quality but the pps doesnt work in my hand.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

NRA Life Member
G-27 Gen 4/CBST
Shield9/CBST
Ultra Carry II/VM2

Go to Top of Page

graceandtruth
Evangelical Ninja

953 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  17:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on how you define "best". You certainly can't go wrong with the kahr or the pps. The kel-tec pf9 is going to put you in a much lower price bracket, but like everything else in this life, you will compromise on fit, finish, and overall reliability. If money is not an issue, I would probably go with the kahr pm9. But, the bottom line is that you won't go wrong with any of them listed above, and so whatever feels most comfortable in your hand should be your choice.

-G&T
G23
Go to Top of Page

Ohio9
Advanced Member

USA
4240 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  17:43:58  Show Profile  Send Ohio9 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by "Bogie"

Consider the KelTec PF-9?

I've tried the Kel-Tec before. I don't like the trigger on it.
Go to Top of Page

jeffwrv23

78 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  18:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 on the PPS, it works well for me. had a couple issues in the beginning took two trips to S&W but all is fish and grits now...

"From now on, you'll carry the Walther." ("M" in Doctor No)
Walther PPS
Glock 17

Go to Top of Page

bwatkins1223
Advanced Member

USA
2837 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  19:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my experiance with guns I have owned, I can suggest with confidence the PF9 and the Sig 239. Since you didn't really care for the PF9 you might look at the Sig 239, single stack 9mm that fits the hand amazingly. I sold mine but probably should have held on to it. If you don't like the DA/SA which I don't you may look at the PPS or PM9. I have no experience with either, other than holding them. From what others have said about them on this forum, both get high marks.

Eagle Scout November, 16th 2006

Carry guns:
Springfield MilSpec .45ACP
Glock 19

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away
Go to Top of Page

hkguy
Guy of Many HKs

USA
2629 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  19:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if a PPS is a sub compact to you, you should take a look at a Kahr cw9 for the price it is one of the best single stack 9/40/45 on the market. you also should consider a sig P6 and a HK P7 as well as both are very quality single stack 9mm's. i currently have a Kahr K9 and P9 and they are both great shooters. follow up shots are very easy and recoil is also very manageable using 147gr ranger SXT's. both eat anything i run through them and ive had no problems with either.

God created all men....

... Sam Colt made them equal
Go to Top of Page

pinkhamr
Advanced Member

USA
6106 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  20:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CZ 2075 ????? Just a thought ...

"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

A 64 year old Retired U S Air Force Master Sergeant who's wife is also a Retired USAF Master Sergeant, and I have been a Life Member of the NRA since 1993. Also a Life Member of the NCOA and the VFW.

"A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24276 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  22:56:55  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
P7.

Nathan In Montana, carrying an HK45cT, .45acp loaded with Federal HST 230 grain +P JHPs carried in a Galco King Tuk.

NRA Certified Instructor, Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol and Personal Protection Outside The Home.
Go to Top of Page

LandonJ
Advanced Member

USA
6375 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  23:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan

P7.

After shooting one at a local idpa match last week, I am now saving up for one. I could not believe the trigger!

"You are only out-gunned if you miss." -Jeff Cooper
Amatuers train until they get it right. Professionals train until they get it wrong.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Utah CFP Instructor
USMC veteran

Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24276 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  23:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
indeed. if you gotta carry a single stack 9mm, carry a P7.

or as one of the great ones stated: "...if one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the Heckler & Koch P7."- Col. Jeff Cooper

...now keep in mind, colonel cooper was hardcore. if it wasnt .45 or 10mm, it wasnt to colonel cooper.

Nathan In Montana, carrying an HK45cT, .45acp loaded with Federal HST 230 grain +P JHPs carried in a Galco King Tuk.

NRA Certified Instructor, Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol and Personal Protection Outside The Home.
Go to Top of Page

Ohio9
Advanced Member

USA
4240 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  04:07:35  Show Profile  Send Ohio9 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

indeed. if you gotta carry a single stack 9mm, carry a P7.

or as one of the great ones stated: "...if one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the Heckler & Koch P7."- Col. Jeff Cooper

...now keep in mind, colonel cooper was hardcore. if it wasnt .45 or 10mm, it wasnt to colonel cooper.

Cooper's endorsement is significant, but I'm not sure about the P7. It's kind of big for "subcompact" gun, and very heavy compared modern polymer framed pistols. I'm looking for a light, thin alternative to my Xd, and I'm not sure that would be the pick.
Go to Top of Page

scrike83
Puts the cool in Coolhand

USA
3301 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  05:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty fond of the PM9 myself, but I will have a P7 eventually. Another nice one often overlooked is the S&W 3913, had one some time ago and made the mistake of selling it. With any luck I will have another one here shortly. You can find them from time to time on GunBroker and the likes, but they don't make them anymore. Don't bid on the one on GunBroker right now, or I'll kill you...

Molôn Labe!!!

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
~Edmund Burke~

Support Our Troops, Until They All Come Home... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L2vpiwvPYI

Go to Top of Page

BobMcT

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  12:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't own a Kahr PM9 but I do own and love the Walther PPS. It does not have a safety but has a safety trigger like a Glock. The PPS also has advantages for a left handed shooter as the mag release is ambidextrous. It's a little different than other pistols, but very easy to adjust to. This 9mm has about the least recoil of any of the small autos and absolutely one the most accurate. Combine all that with the manufacturing quality of Walther and servicing by S&W and it's hard to beat. Also, being so thin, it makes a great IWB carry gun.
Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8413 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  14:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scrike83

I'm pretty fond of the PM9 myself, but I will have a P7 eventually. Another nice one often overlooked is the S&W 3913, had one some time ago and made the mistake of selling it. With any luck I will have another one here shortly. You can find them from time to time on GunBroker and the likes, but they don't make them anymore. Don't bid on the one on GunBroker right now, or I'll kill you...

I had a SW 3913 on layaway as a close out at $225 a few years ago. When I finally paid the gun off, the store apparently had mistakenly sold mine instead of logging it in as a layaway. They had no more in stock. I'm more pissed now than I was then. One of those that got away....damn.

And I want to add that Smith & Wesson totally had their heads up their behinds when they discontinued these little gems. Today they would sell like hot cakes.
Go to Top of Page

KeysGuy
Advanced Member

USA
3726 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  14:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know the drill, if it doesn't fit you must.....wait a minute, that's from a different thread. You have a list of quality guns, so go fondle them all and see which likes you the best. My only experience with the PPS was a gunshop fondling session. It fit me, it fit me very well....drool.

Keys Guy

One thing we can learn from history is we do not learn from history. (Unknown)

Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up for it." -------Wyatt Earp 1920

I was taught to respect my elders. It's just getting harder to find them. (me)

Go to Top of Page

DIAMOND

USA
1908 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  14:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PM9 in stainless. Small gun, good sights, durable finish and light weight.

Loving God.
Loving People.
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24276 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  14:53:10  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ohio9

I'm looking for a light, thin alternative to my Xd
...compared to an XD, THIS is "light and thin".

Go to Top of Page

KeysGuy
Advanced Member

USA
3726 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  15:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Now that's just plain mean.

Keys Guy

One thing we can learn from history is we do not learn from history. (Unknown)

Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up for it." -------Wyatt Earp 1920

I was taught to respect my elders. It's just getting harder to find them. (me)

Go to Top of Page

Ohio9
Advanced Member

USA
4240 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  20:50:22  Show Profile  Send Ohio9 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KeysGuy

quote:

quote:

Now that's just plain mean.

I don't think so. As someone who carries an XD as an EDC, I can assure you that's an accurate statement. The fact that I'm willing to carry the equivalent of a cinder block in my pants is a testiment to how outstanding the gun is.

Anyway, my point is that I'm looking for something that is the exact opposite of the XD (In terms of size and bulk, not quality), and in that regard the P7 does not qualify.
Go to Top of Page

LKline
Jew-Jitsu Master

USA
5029 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  21:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

HAHAHAH!
Go to Top of Page

1813Anschutz
Advanced Member

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  15:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My solution to this is a S&W 3913/CS9. The 3913 is with me more often than the CS9 simply due to its fit in my hand. You would be hard pressed to find a better CCW gun at any price. And it has a lifetime warranty from S&W! How do you improve on that?
Randy
PS. I also enjoy a Star Firestar/Astra A70/75 in 9mm/40 for the same reasons. It fits, shoots well, is reliable and conceals VERY well. Might work for you also.

"The more I shoot,the LUCKIER I seem to get!"
Go to Top of Page

Ohio9
Advanced Member

USA
4240 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  17:48:42  Show Profile  Send Ohio9 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1813Anschutz

My solution to this is a S&W 3913/CS9. The 3913 is with me more often than the CS9 simply due to its fit in my hand. You would be hard pressed to find a better CCW gun at any price. And it has a lifetime warranty from S&W! How do you improve on that?
Randy

I've been looking for the Chief's special for months now, periodically checking gunbroker.com every few weeks. But to this day I have not yet found a model with a double-sided safety. It's really infuriating. At this point I'd probably be willing to even go for the .45 caliber version if I saw one with an ambi safety. Sadly it seems those versions are the rarest of the rare.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Concealed Carry Forum © ConcealedCarryForum.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000