New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

packinpastor86
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  20:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question that I hope you all can help me answer. I posted a few weeks ago about deciding between a Glock 23 and a M&P 45c for concealed carry. Well, when looking for a M&P to test I ran into a Sig Sauer C3 1911 compact with Crimson Trace laser grips. It was so beautiful and I had to do everything I could to keep myself from buying it then.

My question: which is better for a Self Defense concealed carry gun? A striker-fired pistol or a 1911? I know that the 1911 is easier to conceal due to its width, but is there any strategic advantage to having say a Glock 23 over a 1911? It's only about $300 difference so I would be willing to pay a little more for the 1911 if it's truly better to carry. What do you all think?

RickC
Good American

USA
3299 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  22:18:14  Show Profile  Send RickC an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm a 1911 snob, I only carry 1911 pistols for SD, but for you I'm going to recommend the Glock. I went back and read your introduction post and it said you were a rookie. A 1911 takes dedication and practice, practice, practice to train your muscle memory to automatically sweep the manual safety off as the pistol is drawn from the holster. Any instance where you are going to draw and use your weapon will have the adrenalin pumping in your veins and tunnel vision, as a rookie you need to be able to draw you weapon, pull the trigger, and expect it to go bang. With the Glock that's all you have to do, it's going to happen everytime. I have made this recommendation before for rookies and will continue to do so. Buy the Glock as your first gun. Shoot the hell out of it until until it is like an extension of your hand. Later we will let you come to the 1911 side of the house.

Rick

"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to heavy"
-Anonymous-
Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8416 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  22:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Rick....I have a few 1911's but never carry them because I just don't get to practice enough to be comfortable using them in an oh, situation. Been carrying a Glock 19 for a long time, and yes, its an easy pistol to master. Draw, point, BANG. When helping new shooters decide on a pistol I usually limit the choices to Glock, M&P, XD. All three are reliable, accurate, and durable. Once you've mastered your first carry pistol and still have your heart set on carrying a 1911....get some real good training and practice, practice, practice.
Go to Top of Page

gunslinger
Advanced Member

USA
2107 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  10:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a C3, I can say it is a fantastic CCO 1911. Conceals easily, dead on accurate, handles +P HSTs as well as any target load. Add to that it is gorgeous and has SIG Customer Service behind it, and it is my favorite carry gun.
As far as being a new shooter and learning, you can learn on any gun. I learned on a Woodsman, Blackhawk .357 and a Hi-Power. 1911s can be a bit more critical than a striker fired, but you learn any gun through experience. I'll be honest, I don't like striker fired guns, although I have a 24/7 OSS that is a good pistol. If you won't be shooting much, then perhaps the Glock makes sense--or better yet a M&P. But don't be put off by 'complexities' of the 1911 that can easily be overcome with practice. You need to do the same with a Glock. It is no "magic" pistol that grants expert status after two mags worth of shooting.
Go to Top of Page

2wheels
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  11:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no "strategic advantage" to a Glock over a 1911, though some Tupperware fanatics may argue otherwise. It's just personal preference.

When given the choice between my XD40-SC or my New Agent (1911), I usually choose the 1911. I just prefer 1911s, I have no logical arguments for why.

I don't believe it takes a seasoned pistol expert to carry a 1911, it just takes training and practice. The SAME amount of training and practice I believe you should be spending with a Glock. Opinions differ, but I don't believe it's difficult to train yourself to disengage the safety on the draw.

I would agree that if you can't/won't take time to really practice with your weapon, the Glock would probably be the better choice.

Springfield EMP9, Colt New Agent, Sig P238, S&W 442, Ithaca/AutoOrd 1911
Go to Top of Page

packinpastor86
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  19:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not a rookie handgunner and have handled and shot both striker-fired and 1911's. I am new to concealed carry and was curious if there were any advantages that I hadn't picked up through my time with both. Thanks everyone though for your input.
Go to Top of Page

1813Anschutz
Advanced Member

USA
2726 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  20:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use whichever you shoot the best and have the most confidence in. For me the answer is not a Glock as they do not fit me well. A 1911 fits me great. Hope it helps......
Randy

"The more I shoot,the LUCKIER I seem to get!"
Go to Top of Page

strider72
Average Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  21:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would choose the Glock 23 for the fact that I prefer a few more rds. on tap that a 1911 single-stack offers. 13+1 rds. vs. 8+1 rds. is a nobrainer. I don't particularly care for the 1911s though I always enjoyed the Commander. Of course the Commander has a 4" barrel and so does the Glock 23 so again I would lean towards the 23. However, the Glock's grip does not work for everyone so you may want to look at other options besides these two.

Glock 19/FEG HiPower/Keltec P32/NAA .22Mag for me...til I can get my 870 or Marlin 336 of course.

WOLVERINES!!

Long Live the U.S. Constituition!

"Choose you this day whom ye serve." Joshua 24:15

Ahh, man... they locked the Nothing thread..
Go to Top of Page

RickC
Good American

USA
3299 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  22:13:16  Show Profile  Send RickC an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by packinpastor86

Well, I'm not a rookie handgunner and have handled and shot both striker-fired and 1911's. I am new to concealed carry and was curious if there were any advantages that I hadn't picked up through my time with both. Thanks everyone though for your input.

I apologize, I took the quote from your introduction, "and rookie gun enthusiast", to mean you were a rookie. No foul intended. If you like the 1911 better, it fits you, and you are willing to train enough to ingrain the muscle memory get one. Be warned it's like crack cocaine, once you experience a true 1911 you will never go back to the dark side.

Rick

-Anonymous-
Go to Top of Page

Waffenmeister
Advanced Member

USA
2159 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  08:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Ein Sperling in der Hand ist besser als eine Taube auf dem Dach." -German proverb
Go to Top of Page

strider72
Average Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  10:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickC

Be warned it's like crack cocaine, once you experience a true 1911 you will never go back to the dark side.

Uhh... message from the dark side... It's NOT a true 1911. It's a SIG C3 compact.

Glock 19/FEG HiPower/Keltec P32/NAA .22Mag for me...til I can get my 870 or Marlin 336 of course.

WOLVERINES!!

Go to Top of Page

RickC
Good American

USA
3299 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  10:34:58  Show Profile  Send RickC an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by strider72

quote:

Be warned it's like crack cocaine, once you experience a true 1911 you will never go back to the dark side.

Uhh... message from the dark side... It's NOT a true 1911. It's a SIG C3 compact.

gunslinger was the only one talking about a C3 not the OP.

Rick

-Anonymous-
Go to Top of Page

packinpastor86
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  11:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Rick no problem man. I appreciate everyone's input.
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24372 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  17:27:01  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger

Having a C3, I can say it is a fantastic CCO 1911.
to be a "fantastic" 1911, it first has to be a 1911. try again.

Nathan In Montana, carrying an HK45cT, .45acp loaded with Federal HST 230 grain +P JHPs carried in a Galco King Tuk.

NRA Certified Instructor, Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol and Personal Protection Outside The Home.
Go to Top of Page

bwatkins1223
Advanced Member

USA
2837 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  17:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan

quote:

LOL!

As to the question, I would say the Glock unless you are going to practice with it a lot. The 1911 is a whole different beast in learning the manual of arms, mainly remembering to wipe the safety off in a critical self defense situation.

Eagle Scout November, 16th 2006

Carry guns:
Springfield MilSpec .45ACP
Glock 19

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away
Go to Top of Page

gunslinger
Advanced Member

USA
2107 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  09:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by strider72

quote:

gunslinger was the only one talking about a C3 not the OP.

OP: " I ran into a Sig Sauer C3 1911 compact with Crimson Trace laser grips. It was so beautiful and I had to do everything I could to keep myself from buying it then."

I was simply complimenting him on his good taste.

Go to Top of Page

gunslinger
Advanced Member

USA
2107 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  09:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan

quote:

JMB's ultimate design, even to the external extractor and no full length guide rod bs. He appeared to the SIG designer in a vision...and said "this is what I meant all along..."
Go to Top of Page

OneGunCharlie

1405 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  16:37:13  Show Profile  Visit OneGunCharlie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't consider myself a snob with regard to 1911s or much of anything else, but as my two CC guns are the 1911 and a G23, I'll chime in.

The G23 is lighter and packs plenty of firepower. I think I have a slightly better edge as far as being able to successfully defend myself in a really fast and brutal incident with the Glock. This gun is my main choice M - F when I'm out and about.

The 1911 is my sentimental favorite as an Army vet and as one who dabbles a bit in military history. I carry it around the house and out and about on weekends. It's heavier and it did require more time to develop muscle memory for deploying it.

Both are very adequate defensive weapons, very different in feel, and will be liked/disliked for various reasons depending on people's tastes, skills, biases, etc.

Anti-firearm laws are NOT passed to enhance our personal safety. They are passed to increase our dependence on government and decrease our ability to shrug off oppression.
Go to Top of Page

OneGunCharlie

1405 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  16:40:30  Show Profile  Visit OneGunCharlie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
A 1911 takes dedication and practice, practice, practice to train your muscle memory to automatically sweep the manual safety off as the pistol is drawn from the holster.

I did this initially but was persuaded by Nathan and then by 1911 enthusiasts I know personally that the correct way is to sweep off the safety as you are pointing the pistol downrange / toward the target.

To disengage the safety as part of drawing from the holster invites a large wound in your leg or foot. That wouldn't be pretty at all, and could wreck your whole day.

Anti-firearm laws are NOT passed to enhance our personal safety. They are passed to increase our dependence on government and decrease our ability to shrug off oppression.
Go to Top of Page

strider72
Average Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  04:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually thumb my Hipower safety off about halfway between the draw and on target myself.

WOLVERINES!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Concealed Carry Forum © ConcealedCarryForum.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000