Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24371 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  09:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote

since i own several glock 23s i rarely ever train with the one i carry daily. every january 1st. i replace my carry ammunition and use the ammunition i have carried for the last year to function test my carry gun (5 magazazines). i have other glock 23s that i dont mind shooting for five or six thousand rounds a year so i see little point in putting the additional wear on the one that i carry every day.

i took a look at it today and could not believe the amount of lint build up that has accumulated in the barrel of my glock. i field stripped it, blew the barrel and frame out with compressed nitrogen, ran a bore brush down it and reassembled it. the lint build up over the last six months or so was as thick as cotton candy.

i know this wouldnt have affected proper function at all...it is afterall, a glock...but wow it amazes me how thick lint can build up on a carry gun.

Nathan In Montana, carrying an HK45cT, .45acp loaded with Federal HST 230 grain +P JHPs carried in a Galco King Tuk.

NRA Certified Instructor, Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol and Personal Protection Outside The Home.

moonie

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  11:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually from what I've read the biggest issue for lint is at the other end, in the fire control system, enough lint in there could cause functional problems. I check my carry guns regularly.

We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.

Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Able 5

153 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  14:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like an alternative fire starting set up to me, lol Who needs a fire steel!
Go to Top of Page

barstoolguru

141 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  15:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's a glock and shooting it doesn't hurt it. I shoot my carry gun all the time because if there is something wrong I want to know before I get into a pinch
Go to Top of Page

sinstar

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  18:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first sign of being a glock 23 hoarder

Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24371 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  18:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, im aware it doesnt "hurt" a weapon to use it. i shoot a lot. some may call it obsessive. prior to the zerO regime (back when ammunition was plentiful and relatively cheap by todays standards) i used to shoot 1200-1500 rounds a month every month (now i shoot about half that much). i take students to the range weekly, and i dont want a carry gun with 80,000 rounds through it. my daily carry glock has around 3,000 rounds through it and it has performed 100% (well...of course it has...its a glock!) so there is no need really to wear it out at the range when i have several others just like it that are for range duty.
anyway, i was never concerned with it failing due to the lint buildup, but a lesser gun could suffer potential failure. ive posted on lint buildup before but have never seen it quite this bad.

Nathan In Montana, carrying an HK45cT, .45acp loaded with Federal HST 230 grain +P JHPs carried in a Galco King Tuk.

NRA Certified Instructor, Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol and Personal Protection Outside The Home.
Go to Top of Page

MisterB
Average Member

905 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  23:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll notice the more cotton you wear, the more lint you'll have in your belly button lol, so it stands to reason the same would happen with a gun worn in your pants. I guess you could switch to more synthetic or blend stuff here and there if it bugs you enough. This is probably tmi, but these are what I wear, and I don't have a lint problem

Glock 20 10mm, and a Sig P938 9mm pocket gun
Go to Top of Page

barstoolguru

141 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  09:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know a lot of people for some reason feel it is not necessary to clean and wipe down a Glock but call me old school but I wipe my guns down every day at the end of the day and give it a visual
Go to Top of Page

knic

120 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  09:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree barstoolguru. I follow that exact routine with both guns and women
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24371 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  09:43:26  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterB

You'll notice the more cotton you wear, the more lint you'll have in your belly button lol
free-baller here.

Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24371 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  09:49:42  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barstoolguru

I know a lot of people for some reason feel it is not necessary to clean and wipe down a Glock
in all honesty its not necessary...but its good form.

Go to Top of Page

MisterB
Average Member

905 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  13:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan

quote:

You'll notice the more cotton you wear, the more lint you'll have in your belly button lol
free-baller here.

Lol. Look, I know you like tactical stuff, but going "commando" might be carrying it too far lmao

Glock 20 10mm, and a Sig P938 9mm pocket gun
Go to Top of Page

barstoolguru

141 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  13:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knic

I agree barstoolguru. I follow that exact routine with both guns and women

unlike my woman, when I wipe my gun down I don't owe it anything
Go to Top of Page

mattinglyt
Watchdog

USA
12451 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  15:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another simple reason I like grease to lube a carry gun. The gun oil tends to attract more lint as well. The grease stays put and doesn't wick away into the clothes.

Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24371 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  16:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barstoolguru

unlike my woman, when I wipe my gun down I don't owe it anything
OMFG! LOL! i literally gagged with laughter when i read that one!

...you are now the most awesome newbie ever!

Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24371 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  16:18:16  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know you like tactical stuff, but going "commando" might be carrying it too far lmao
...plyggin' aint easy, yo.

Go to Top of Page

Johnde
Average Member

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  18:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm heading toward 60. I can barely keep the lint blown out of one 23 and one woman!

Ohio 4-H Certified Pistol Instructor, dedicated to preparing our youth to excercise their Second Amendment rights.
CCW License Holder.
Law Abiding American Citizen.
NRA Life Member.
STAND YOUR GROUND
Go to Top of Page

Oban

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  18:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way TMI guys. :)

Julie

CCL holder
Member NRA

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

MonkeyScribe
Lex Communis Chondrichthyes

1010 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  02:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude, Im suprised you didnt find a fuggin spider in that tube.
Go to Top of Page

Jollymann
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  08:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have lint build up in anything I pack (even in "lesser" guns, yeah.) But since I rotate almost all of my handguns including large revolvers(even those lesser guns too, yeah.) for carry nothing ever builds up that much. They also all get used for shooting too. They get rotated for that too. I'd feel pretty ridicues about myself if I ignored a pistol for that long to have that much junk cake on in the barrel.

I'll add that it seems to make a difference as to whether you carry inside the pants or outside. Inside might catch more lint or not. Goes without saying that a closed end holster is going to be cleaner for the muzzle end.

D.J.
Go to Top of Page

GunNut
Average Member

USA
834 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  09:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted, thank you for that valiant attempt to keep these girls on topic. I'm not a member of THAT many gun forums, but that much men's underwear talk from guys still seems unusual for the "forum". :D

And Johnde- too funny...

An armed society is a polite society.
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24371 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  11:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jollymann

I'd feel pretty ridicues about myself if I ignored a pistol for that long to have that much junk cake on in the barrel.
for a free-baller who uses nutsack powders (corn starch...keeps the boys from sticking to your leg when you get sweaty) and carries IWB it doesnt take that long for it to build up like that.

Go to Top of Page

1813Anschutz
Advanced Member

USA
2726 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  12:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glock said you should be able to just shoot the lint out of the barrel and be done with it.......

"The more I shoot,the LUCKIER I seem to get!"
Go to Top of Page

Bulldog
Whiney [img]smileys/censored.gif[/img]er

USA
3246 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  20:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always check all of my gun barrels for lint, Even my hunting rifles etc. I use one of those air blast cans,That they use to blow out dirt on computers etc & they work great,& blow out any lint etc.
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Big Sky Guy

USA
24371 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  11:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1813Anschutz

Glock said you should be able to just shoot the lint out of the barrel and be done with it.......
of course...i just didnt want my DNA trapped in my nut-sack powders to end up in a bad guys heart.

Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8416 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  14:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
since I work in an office, I just snag a couple of cans of compressed air we use to blow crap out of our computer keyboards.
Couple of blasts of compressed air keeps my carry guns squeaky clean and free of belly button fuzz.

If you ankle carry, check your guns more often....I checked mine once and I had a tree growing out of the barrel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Concealed Carry Forum © ConcealedCarryForum.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000