Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Drew
Advanced Member

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  03:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we have your base model Glock model 23. MSRP right around $500. Fixed steel sites and two factory 13 round magazines. Simple, run of the mill, stock firearm. Affordable, pretty dang accurate. Add in the ability to surf the web for 15 minutes and find that you can have everything and the kitchen sink put on it.

Here you have MY Glock 23. Stock model with six 13 round magazines upgraded with the extended slide release lever, stock plug, polished feedramp and Ameriglo Tritium Fiber Optic sights.

As far as a compact("compact" being firearms with a barrel length of less than 4.4 inches) firearms goes, the Glock 23 is by far the most accurate I have ever fired. The range session consisted of 400 rounds, 250 ball rounds. 150 hollowpoints. At 7 and 14 meters I am able to put 5 rounds within a 1.5 inch box. At 21 meters that spreads out to a little under 2.5 inches. At 35 meters I was pushing 5 rounds in a 3.25 inch box. So, accuracy was very acceptable.
Dependability with a Glock is still astounding. I've owned three Glocks and with the exception of one of them which had failures due to poor gunsmithing, I have never had a failure of any sort. This is with out a doubt if not THE most dependable firearm ever made, it is the closest we are ever going to get. No matter how I hold this gun, it goes bang. I know there are issues with "limp wristing" a Glock and the failures to extract which follows. I have yet to have that happen to me while purposely attempting to make this failure occure. There were zero magazine seating failires, zero failures to feed, fire and extract. The slide locked back to the rear when the last round was fired from the magazine every single time.
The factory sites on a Glock are not that bad when you compare them to some other manufacturers. However, I still find them lacking. Enter AmeriGlo. The AmeriGlo TFO sites I have on my G23 are the green front and yellow rear dot set up. This provides for a quicker site picture from the contrasting colored dots. The fiber optic part of the sites seem to just pop out at you while firing in day light. Even after 300 rounds the front sight was easy to see and sight picture came into place easily. In darker shooting, the tritium took over and the sights maintained an easily aligned site picture. The tritium didn't seem over brite as can sometimes be the case with plain tritium sites, but rather, bright enough to maintain sight picture without the sharpness that can sometimes occure with small bright spots in darkness.
Being able to maintain site picture with this weapon helped the already speedy follow up shots. Secondary shots and multiple shot targets were easy to engage with no real loss of site picture or posture.
The trigger on the Glock 23 is typical of all Glocks that I have ever experienced. Not much over travel and not a lot of let up either. The break on the trigger is crisp and positive. Trigger reset is next to nothing when compared to other striker fired firearms.
While concealing a weapon is more an issue of what holster and where it is worn rather than just the size of the firearm, having a high capacity firearm that is as compact as the Glock 23 is a plus. They are pretty easy to conceal while wearing little or light clothing. Compared to other firearms, take a S&W model 19, they are perhaps one of the best for concealed carry. They are small, but not so small that they cannot be employed as full service weapons. They have a full stock allowing all your fingers to wrap around and control the weapon. Something that cannot be done on many sub compacts.
All in all, the Glock 23 is perhaps the finest firearm for concealed carry. It is a high capacity weapon that delivers a round that hits with enough force to stop an attacker out right. Yes, it isn't a .45ACP, but it is the best compromise you can get. Fourteen total rounds that travel at over 1000 fps and deliver a fppsi that is almost that of a .45 with the right defensive ammo.
If you were to ask my personal opinion; I would say that the Glock 23 is the closest thing to perfection you are going to get at this time in history.

Geoff
Advanced Member

USA
5361 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  05:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice review

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Gun Collector, Hunter, Sportsman, and EDUCATED VOTER lol

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Go to Top of Page

gwillis6
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  19:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice review! I think that the Glock 23 is the best carry weapon available today...assuming you can't conceal your 12 ga

Audemus jura nostra defendere
Go to Top of Page

predatorhunter22
Scooter

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  21:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you just talked me in to getting one I have a glock 26 now. But I think Ill replace the p3at with my 26 as back up and the 23 as my main. Nice review

PH22

yup!
Go to Top of Page

JCL
Advanced Member

USA
3627 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  23:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't decide on a Glock. I hate the angle and it always feels so horrible in my hand, but when I took my CCW class I had to borrow one and I shot great with it. Maybe it's just me and I should give them another look. Thanks for the review.

Molon Labe
"After You Come, Come Take"
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Advanced Member

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  01:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JCL

I can't decide on a Glock. I hate the angle and it always feels so horrible in my hand, but when I took my CCW class I had to borrow one and I shot great with it. Maybe it's just me and I should give them another look. Thanks for the review.

Glad to help. That's one of the reasons I put the review up.

Go to Top of Page

Presspass
Armed & Dangerous

USA
9057 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  09:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whiteoak is currently drooling over one down in Little Rock that has a few bells and whistles on it, for a decent price. He has a few more days before he gets off work, so it may not still be there.

You can't fix stupid, but you can slap the crap out of it.
Go to Top of Page

gunslinger
Advanced Member

USA
2107 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  11:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fine review, Drew. I'm not a Glockistina, but respect them as fine weapons. I may even break down and buy one someday just to have in my collection.
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Advanced Member

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  15:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the range today after church and ut about 200 rounds down range. 100 with the new crimson trace laser grips. 100 without. I ain't gonna show you the target with the crimson trace grips. I don't really know how anyone can shoot with them. Maybe its that I'm not used to it.
Anyhow, here's how I did for the first time with just the AmeriGlo TFO sights... It took me a little while to get sighted in. But once I was there I was spot on.

Sight picture came easy and follow up shots were not an issue. Not half bad if I say so myself.

Go to Top of Page

jaredshs

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  16:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty good shootin Drew. What was the distance you were shooting. I am curious because I just
took the plunge and went to the dark side and bought me a Glock 23. Haven't shot it yet. Got
a brand new one, can't wait to shoot it.

No matter where you go,there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Advanced Member

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  16:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaredshs

Pretty good shootin Drew. What was the distance you were shooting. I am curious because I just
took the plunge and went to the dark side and bought me a Glock 23. Haven't shot it yet. Got
a brand new one, can't wait to shoot it.

10 meters with the crimson trace grips. 7 and 14 meters with the AmeriGlo sights.

Go to Top of Page

MOBrad
Starting Member

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  06:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was the issue with the Crimson Trace grips? Ive had them on several guns and they seem to work great. It does take a little adjustment sometimes of the elevation and windage controls, but once you get it dialed in, you should be good to go.
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Advanced Member

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  15:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just couldn't get used to focusing on the dot. I am too trained in on using hard sights. Its just me and my training. I am going to give it another shot sometime this next week. If I still can't master it after another 200 rounds I may be just putting them up for sale.

Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8413 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  23:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh, yes. The Standard issue weapon of the F-B-I. If I didn't already have the G17 and a gazillion high-cap mags I would go with the G23, but with all the supply of mags in 9mm the G19 made more sense. Have any of you folks fired the G30SF for comparison to the G23? 14 rounds of .40 vs 11 of .45...now theres a discussion all its own, eh?
Go to Top of Page

dlb
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  20:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love my glock 23. It has been reliable and accurate and not to mention it is easily concealable.
Go to Top of Page

Sigboy
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  23:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 on the 23. Have always been a Sig fan, but I'm a Glock convert. The reason I bought a Glock is because I have an HK .40 USP that I just hate. Bought the Glock...HK now a safe-queen.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Clint in TX
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  07:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add me to the list of G23 fans. Recently picked one up after reading Nathan's info posts and Drew's review. (thanks btw) In the past I have owned the 22 and 27 versions. The 23 is the best of both worlds. Large nuff to the comfortable, yet very concealable. Easy to shoot, Glock reliability.

Thanks for all the great reading.
Go to Top of Page

cz223
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  21:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The G23 is my daily carry gun. It has been flawless at the range with well over 3000 rounds since the last time I cleaned it. I also have a model 32 in 357 Sig and it is just as good. I will be getting another Mid sized Glock in the not too distant future. I like the Amirglow sights on yours.
Go to Top of Page

RickC
Good American

USA
3299 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  22:46:32  Show Profile  Send RickC an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sigboy

+1 on the 23. Have always been a Sig fan, but I'm a Glock convert. The reason I bought a Glock is because I have an HK .40 USP that I just hate. Bought the Glock...HK now a safe-queen.

SB

Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance let us all meet you. Go to the "Front Desk / New Member Introductions" and say hi to everyone.

Rick

"I carry a gun, 'cause a Cop is to heavy"
-Anonymous-
Go to Top of Page

Pops 1
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  12:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New member,first post. Just got a G19 and now after reading Drews review now I got to get a G23.I hate it when that happens. Pops

Pops
Go to Top of Page

ASSASSIN
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  21:43:03  Show Profile  Send ASSASSIN a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is my second G23 the first I sold to my dad and later bought the Ruger 357 gp100, After shooting the G23 again, I went back to the Gun store and traded in the GP100 for another G23. I will never sale or trade this gun again. I also own the XD 45 4" I love both but favor the G23 more. Both are very accurate, however as mentioned above the G23 is easy to conceal.
Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8413 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  21:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ASSASSIN

This is my second G23 the first I sold to my dad and later bought the Ruger 357 gp100, After shooting the G23 again, I went back to the Gun store and traded in the GP100 for another G23. I will never sale or trade this gun again. I also own the XD 45 4" I love both but favor the G23 more. Both are very accurate, however as mentioned above the G23 is easy to conceal.

hi Dave, welcome to the forum. Be sure and stop by the new members area and introduce yourself.....good choice in weaponry there my friend. G19 and XD 45 Compact myself. Great guns.
Go to Top of Page

Tucson
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  14:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I hate to post just to pile on; that's exactly what I'm doing. The Glock 23 is my EDC. I absolutely trust it and find it easy to conceal and carry even in short and a t-shirt. I would recommend it to anyone who is wondering which compact .40 they should get.

GLOCK 19 & 23
Kimber Tactical Pro
M&P .40
Savage 10FP LE
Stag T2
Mavrick 88 12GA
Go to Top of Page

PEEPAC
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  20:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just purchased G23 today for fiance. Did I make a bad choice for a newbee?
Go to Top of Page

DIAMOND

USA
1908 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  06:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PEEPAC

Just purchased G23 today for fiance. Did I make a bad choice for a newbee?

Hey, take a moment and introduce yourself in our New Member Introduction section. Welcome.
http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=5

.40S&W is a snappy round, but manageable. My wife never shot a handgun before. Heck, she never shot a gun before.

I handed her my G27 (baby brother to your 23) and at 10 yards she put 7 our of 10 in an 8" group.

Trust me, your fiance will do fine with her new wonderful gun and will probably be out-shooting you in time.

Just be sure to explain to her that recoil is her friend and to not let it shack her confidence. If it didn't have recoil, it wouldn't stop the bad buy.

Loving God.
Loving People.
Go to Top of Page

alamo5777
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  11:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To carry Your Glock loaded or unloaded?

I've read and read and read about this subject for years now. I've always carried my Glock without a round in the chamber. Oh, I realize all the safety features the Glock offers, 3 safety's always in place, no matter what. The gun will not go off until the trigger is properly pulled. I still ignored all the ccw vet's that warned over and over what a big mistake it is not to have your weapon loadad. I always assumed I would be able to draw and cock as I've practiced for years.
Recently I suffered a relatively small injury to my left hand index finger. After a few weeks, my finger was still not 100%. After field cleaning my weapon of choice, my Glock, I put an empty magazine in it and proceed to run thru my normal practice draw and cock routine. Well folks, I could not cock the weapon, my small insignificant injury generated enough weakness and pain to my hand to prevent me from getting the job done. Oh, I figured out how to get my weapon cocked after a few tries without putting any strain on my finger. But I could only imagine the nightmare if I found myself in a life or death situation what would have happened. No more. I learned my lesson. I will never again carry my weapon without a round in the chamber. End of story.

Joe Montalvo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Concealed Carry Forum © ConcealedCarryForum.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000