New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8413 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  20:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is a quick range report as a followup to the pics I posted a couple of weeks ago on the Glock 30SF in .45ACP. Finally broke out of work early and headed to East Orange Shooting Sports in Orlando.
Since I won't make any attempt to give the Guns&Ammo type review that Nathan gives, I'll keep it short.

The Glock 30SF is the new shortened frame version of the compact .45ACP that came out a few years back. It has similar dimensions to the Glock 19/23, but is a bit thicker and noticeably heavier than my Glock 19 9mm. I'm just guessing, but I would say its easily 30oz with a loaded mag. Very close to my XD compact .45 with a 10 rounder.

Since East Orange is a slow fire range, all shooting was done at 7 yards at one shot per second max. Since I'm on the other side of 50, the eye sight is not what it was, so unfortunately, I don't bother embarrassing myself by shooting at longer ranges than 7-10 yards. I don't want to give the impression that the gun is inaccurate because I am.

The Mags: New Glock mags are a B_____!!! I could only get 9 rounds in one mag and only 8 in the other, even with the mag loader. I'm sure the springs will loosen up with use.

The Sights: Standard Glock rear U shape with big white dot on the front. Easy for old guys like me to pick up even in the dim light of the range. First mag I shot was left, and I noticed that the front dot was a bit off center of the front post. I corrected for that on the other two mags.

The Recoil Like all Glocks, the G30 sends most of the recoil straight back and has little muzzle flip. Very easy to control.

The Trigger: It's a Glock. You shot one, you've shot them all. Right around 5 lbs.

Fit and Finish: Again, its a Glock. Tennifer treated slide and virtually indestructible polymer (not plastic)frame.

Reliability: No malfuctions -its a Glock

Accuracy: With a little practice with this weapon, I might be dangerous.

Conclusion: The only thing I would change about the G30SF is to upgrade to night sights. With the new shortened frame, the pistol feels more natural in your hand than the standard G30. The pistol is more than accurate enough for my intended purpose for Concealed Carry and I can highly recommend it to anyone that feels the need to carry a caliber ending in .45. While most consider Glocks to be ugly pistols, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I be holding this one a lot. I think its freaking gorgeous.

First 9 rounds fired at a 14"x11" target:

Second Mag shot at center of mass with third mag shot at the head - Human size target:

whiteoak

464 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  20:43:55  Show Profile  Visit whiteoak's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good shooting.

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who do not" Abraham Lincon
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Advanced Member

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  21:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a cute widdle gwun....

Go to Top of Page

sarge197
Advanced Member

USA
4356 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  21:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! Thanks for the review!

Sarge197

NRA Life Member
California Rifle & Pistol Association Annual Member

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

ram2500

103 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  16:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zonker have to compared the 21sf which I have to the 30sf frame size?
Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8413 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  18:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ram2500

Zonker have to compared the 21sf which I have to the 30sf frame size?

My Glock experience is limited to the G17, 19 and 26 so the .45 was a totally new thing for me. I blame it on this d___ forum and all the talk about .45's
I compared the G30SF to the regular G30 and found it to be much better suited to my hand. I do know that the 21SF is a vast improvement over the regular G21's which I have shot. Unless you have HUGE paws, the regular G21 feels pretty bad. Someday when I hit the lotto I know I will add a 21SF to my Glock family, but for right now the G30 will do for my purpose of concealed carry.
Go to Top of Page

Doc Blase

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2008 :  22:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Doc Blase's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Darn nice shooting. Have you knocked that sight over to the right a little, yet?

Glock G21SF, S&W 638, Colt 1991A1 .45
The cure for fear... is courage.
Go to Top of Page

brandon911

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  02:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the report. I have been thinking of getting a G30SF. This only makes me want one more.

Thanks
brandon911
Go to Top of Page

Slayer of Paper

USA
488 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  21:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent report, and good shooting. I've been thinking about a G30SF myself. but I'm leaning more towards are G27, mainly because of the lighter weight. No doubt though, I'll eventually have a 30, too.

"If someone is so fearful that they are going to start using their weapons to protect their rights, it makes me very nervous that these people have weapons at all." ~Rep. Henry Waxman

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." ~Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8413 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  21:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slayer of Paper

Excellent report, and good shooting. I've been thinking about a G30SF myself. but I'm leaning more towards are G27, mainly because of the lighter weight. No doubt though, I'll eventually have a 30, too.

the 27 is much lighter and a whole bunch easier to conceal than the G30. I love the gun, but it is a chunky little brute. I don't think you can beat the G27 for a balance of power and size. If you have the G22 or G23, it only makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8413 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  21:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Blase

Darn nice shooting. Have you knocked that sight over to the right a little, yet?

waiting to install Trijicons and let the gunny do that for me.
Go to Top of Page

hpurey
Average Member

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  18:56:10  Show Profile  Send hpurey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ha Ha...hey zonker....I too have been finding myself going towards the .45acp route since I have started reading these forums here.

That glock30 is the exact one I've been researching...I have been suggested to look at the g23 which I believe is almost the same size as the g30 other than being slightly thicker its only 10 rounds compared to g23's 13 rounds..I could be wrong.....I originaly was traveling down the 9mm cuz its cheaper route but again this site has put me onto the .40s&w for the added stopping power. But now after reading and reading all of these topics I find myself in that bigger is cooler...I mean better catagory. We shall see. it really isnt much more money to practice with the .45 vs 9mm.. maybe an extra $10 per wwb at wally world.. I look at it this way..every 10 boxes of range ammo in .45 could be an extra 5 boxes of wwb 9mm..

question i ask myself now is...when the time comes to use my gun on some dumbass(aka BG) wouldnt it be worth it to spend the extra few dollars on the 45ammo.

Go to Top of Page

redhotz28

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2008 :  01:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can you tell if a glock is the short frame? All I see listed on their site (and on the guns) is the model number. Held a 30 today, didn't like it too much, the 36 was much nicer, but I would like to be able to interchange magazines.
Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8413 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2008 :  02:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look on the right side of the frame at the arrow. It says "SF" just above the trigger guard.

Go to Top of Page

redhotz28

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  18:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, sounds good. Going to look tomorrow afternoon. I have seen a ton of stuff about the 36, and it has not been favorable. I really prefer the 36's feel, but a gun that doesn't feed doesn't interest me at all. Most of the things I read seem to be from 06 and before. Anyone know if they have adjusted the frame or magazine since? I plan on buying one tomorrow evening.
Go to Top of Page

ARdude
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  06:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review. I picked up the 30SF last week for ccw. I like as much as my S&W M&P .45. Great gun! The 30SF is chunky but the feel is awesome. I picked up a Black Hawk inside the pant soft holster and I'm trying a few configurations to comfortably carry.

ARdude
Go to Top of Page

adrstout
Average Member

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  07:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good on paper and a good review! Does the slim (short?) frame help concealability in any significant way? I don't have aframe of reference as I have not ventured into Glock ownership yet but I was just wondering compared to the standard G30? Are the any drawbacks to the SF?

Adam in Indiana
Lover of guns, knives, dogs, and the outdoors.
Go to Top of Page

zonker1986
Advanced Member

USA
8413 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  11:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrstout

Looking good on paper and a good review! Does the slim (short?) frame help concealability in any significant way? I don't have aframe of reference as I have not ventured into Glock ownership yet but I was just wondering compared to the standard G30? Are the any drawbacks to the SF?

only difference between the SF and standard G30 is the grip circumference. Less chunky grip feels better in the hand than the regualr 30 to me, but does nothing for concealability. The SF stands for "Short Frame" and has nothing to do with the width of the gun.
There are no drawbacks to the 30SF that I have found other than being 1.27" wide (same as the Glock 21 and 20/29 10mm). The width does make it a challenge to carry IWB.....which is why I ended up getting a Glock 36 "Slim Frame" which is a single stack .45acp, but is only 1.13" wide. Makes all the difference IWB. The Glock 30 is much more pleasant to shoot at the range than the G36 since the 36 does exhibit a lot of felt recoil....don't ever expect a 20 oz polymer gun to be fun when shooting a .45acp bullet down range. Physics.

The nice thing about a 30SF is the ability to accept the mags of the G21 giving you 13+1 capacity. The G36 does not take other mags so you are stuck with 6+1.
Go to Top of Page

adrstout
Average Member

USA
909 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  14:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Zonker! You answered all my questions to a tee. I really like the idea of the G36 because I do agree that thin pistols are a fair bit easier to conceal and I think it would be a great ankle gun. However, I carry a XDsc from time to time and used to carry it most of the time. It is also a thick gun but the short grip allows it to be concealed easily and with a good belt/holster combo it is quite comfortable so the G30 would probably be ok for me. Just thinking and typing and the same time...

Adam in Indiana
Lover of guns, knives, dogs, and the outdoors.
Go to Top of Page

wranglerjeepguy

187 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  01:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ZONK....."don't ever expect a 20 oz polymer gun to be fun when shooting a .45acp bullet down range. Physics"....call me crazy but like to shoot the heck out of my 36 ha ha ha...but yes your correct, she's a little jumpy, not horrible though...

for a righteous man may fall seven times and rise again, but the wicked shall fall by calamity (proverbs 24:16)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Concealed Carry Forum © ConcealedCarryForum.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000