Heckler & Koch P30

Nathan
Site Admin

Heckler & Koch P30

Postby Nathan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:25 am

"Highest possible safety and functionality "Safety with Function" - the result of consistently striving for the highest possible standards during the design and development of the P30. The result is the most modern pistol that combines the best possible safety with functionality. With its safety characteristics, thought-out details and optional system components, the P30 fulfils all the requirements of a modern pistol." - [url="http://hk-usa.com/p30_general.html"]SOURCE[/url].

Just as with [url="http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6884"]MY HK45[/url] I had no intention of every buying an HK P30 but an inquiry born of curiosity led to another unintended purchase. I was in my local Sportsman's Warehouse when I happened to notice my P30 sitting on the shelf. I've read a lot about them but never having held one I couldn't resist the urge to hold it and the second that it hit my hand I was sold. I put a 24 hour courtesy hold on the weapon to give me a chance to compare their $799.99 price tag and when I couldn't beat the price I went back the next morning to claim my weapon.

The P30 comes with a hard-sided case, lock, three different sizes of back straps (small, medium, and large) as well as three different sizes of side panel inserts that are sure to fit most any hand.

No matter how good something feels in your hand it means nothing until you fire it. I took my P30 with 50 rounds of Federal 147 grain JHP, 50 rounds of Federal 147 grain JHP +P, 50 rounds of Corbon 115 grain JHP +P, 50 rounds of Corbon 125 grain JHP +P and 300 rounds of WWB. As with all HKs my P30 performed flawlessly. The P30 did an amazing job of taming even the hottest loads. Accuracy was excellent by combat standards; placement was completely predictable and grouping certainly exceeded my expectations.

[size=4]What I Like:[/size=4]

Image Ergonomics: From the familiar Browning controls to the grip that seems to melt itself into my hand, I have never found a more ergonomically perfect weapon and the various sized back-straps and side panels ensure a perfect fit for most any size hand. I purchased this weapon based on ergonomics alone. While the HK45 is a dang near perfect match for my hand, the P30 fits my relatively small hands even better. The familiar grip angle makes the P30 a truly natural pointer, and the grip texturing ensures a positive grip which gives the shooter absolute control.

Image Recoil Reduction: While the 9mm is a soft shooter in most any platform, the P30 soaks up the recoil like no other. To put it simply, there is (virtually) none. When firing single action my seven year old daughter has no trouble shooting the P30. If you need a weapon in a service caliber for someone sensitive to recoil, this is the weapon you've been looking for.

Image Image

Image Overall Size: Being virtually the same overall size as the Glock 19, the P30 is also the perfect size weapon for concealed carry. Although this weapon would serve as a very good service weapon, offering typical service size capacity in a grip substantial enough to grasp yet small enough to easily conceal, this weapon was designed with concealed carry in mind.

Image Accuracy: Although the weapon itself is capable of meeting any reasonable combat or service standard, the sum of all attributes of this weapon enables the shooter to shoot accurately with confidence.

Image Magazine Release: This is one of those items you will either love or hate. I very much prefer this lever style release to a push button since it would be much harder to accidentally release your magazine. I have rolled over on my Glock causing the magazine to release. I cannot foresee that ever being an issue with the P30.

[size=4]What I Don't Like:[/size=4]

Image Trigger: The P30 trigger is simply God-awful. The DA pull is both long and cumbersome. In all fairness it's not particularly heavy which makes it servicable, and it is a little better than the HK45 trigger. There is nothing crisp about the SA release, and the reset is nearly as long as any DAO pistol I've ever fired making shooting controlled pairs from reset impossible. Out of the box, this is one of the worst triggers I have ever fired.* Hopefully someone will find a way to clean this trigger up.

Image Night Sights: These sites are more accurately described as "glow in the dark" sights. So long as your weapon is exposed to bright light prior to walking into the dark the "night" sights are very bright and highly effective. If you carry your weapon concealed and you draw your weapon in the dark you will get nothing from the so-called night sights. This will be disappointing to those intending to use this weapon as a night stand gun.

Image Owner's Manual: Perhaps this was a simple packaging mistake, but the owner's manual included with my weapon is for USP-Series weapons. I had a similar issue with the manual that came with my HK45. Ironically the P series manual for my HK45 included more information on the P30 than the manual that came with my P30.

Image Ambidextrous Slide Release Rattles: The slide release on my P30 is very loose. So loose in fact, that if I bump it with my finger it gives me a metal on metal tap noise. I don't like this due to the potential of giving away my position while attaining the proper ready position.

[url="http://media.concealedcarryforum.com/p30noise.wmv"]CLICK HERE[/url] for a 10 second video of the problem in question.

my HK45 does the same dang thing. I'm told by some that this is "normal", and I disagree completely. There is no reason that an upper shelf weapon should have a rattle like this. Despite how perfect this weapon is in many ways, this seems to cheapen it; at least a little.

* - I will be the first to admit that after a lifetime of shooting finer 1911s I have become a blatent trigger snob. Factor this in when considering my harsh criticism of the P30 and HK45 triggers.

[size=4]How Does It Compare?[/size=4]
In order to determine overall value and appeal I am comparing the HK P30 to a comparable size polymer 9mm, the Glock 19.

Ergonomics
P30 [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
G19 [B)]

Reliability
G19 [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Accuracy
P30 [:)][:)][:)][:)]
G19 [:)][:)][:)][:)]

Trigger
P30 [B)]

Cost
P30 [B)]

Concealability
P30 [:)][:)][:)][:)]

Asthetics (irrelevant and relative)
G19 [:)][:)][:)]

[size=4]Conclusion[/size=4]

When I first learned of the P30 (P3000 at that time) I felt it was an interesting concept and I believed that it would make a good service weapon. While I looked forward to seeing one I really never thought (looking at pictures) I would ever buy one and I certainly never expected this weapon to be such a perfect match for my hand. It fits me so perfectly in fact, that if I can clean up the trigger it could very well become my primary carry weapon. Words cannot describe how perfect this weapon feels in my hand. This is one you just have to hold for yourself. Bring money. [:)]

Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Return to “Weapon Reviews”