Dan Wesson V-Bob

Nathan
Site Admin

Dan Wesson V-Bob

Postby Nathan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:21 am

[center]Image[/center]

"The popular Bobtail Commander is now available in the Valor series. Both the original Valor and the new V-Bob are available in our black duty finish over stainless steel, or a matte stainless finish.

These guns are the realization of all of their desires in a defensive style 1911. They offer everything you need and nothing you don't.

The Valor series features a forged frame with 25 LPI checkering front and back and undercut trigger guard, Heinie Ledge Straight Eight night sights and slim line G10 grips as well as billet alloy steel fire controls and all the other premium small parts you have come to expect from Dan Wesson. While the components are the best available, the components alone do not make the gun. We believe the Valor series is the best built production 1911 on the market." - [url="http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-v-bob/"]MANUFACTURER LINK[/url]

"Dan Wesson V-Bob (Valor Series Bobtail Commander)

The popular Bobtail Commander is now available in the Valor series. Both the original Valor and the new V-Bob are available in our black duty finish over stainless steel, or a matte stainless finish.

These guns are the realization of all of their desires in a defensive style 1911. They offer everything you need and nothing you don't.

The Valor series features a forged frame with 25 LPI checkering front and back and undercut trigger guard, Heinie Ledge Straight Eight night sights and slim line G10 grips as well as billet alloy steel fire controls and all the other premium small parts you have come to expect from Dan Wesson. While the components are the best available, the components alone do not make the gun. We believe the Valor series is the best built production 1911 on the market.

Item # and Suggested Retail Price: #01982 $1,658 (Stainless - .45 ACP); #01983 $2,040 (Black - .45 ACP)" - [url="http://www.cz-usa.com/press-releases/143/"]PRESS RELEASE[/url]

[hr]

As a lifelong 1911 enthusiast, 1911 purist, and proud 1911 snob I've spent the last six months or so searching for the ideal carry 1911. With a passion for 1911s that rages as strong as mine, I knew that finding one I would deem the ideal carry 1911 wouldn't be a simple task. Simply put, I've standards that [img]smileys/poop.gif[/img]-1911s just cannot meet; in fact, most upper-medium shelf 1911s fall short.

In order to get an ideal carry 1911 I was preparing to cough up $3600 for a custom build, but after closely studying what i wanted everything seemed to point to the black stainless bobtail Dan Wesson Valor series (V-Bob) and the search to locate one began. I'm certain that a custom build would meet all my criteria, but I've learned enough about the Dan Wesson Valor series to believe that everything I wanted could be had without paying for a big name custom. I had no problem finding the V-Bob in the $1800.00 to $2000.00+ price range, but still I was determined to hold out for a better price.

I eventually found my gun at [url="http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/gun-room/dan-wesson-v-bob-45acp-01983-black-duty-finish"]Cove Creek Outfitters[/url] (ordered and shipped 2/10/12, delivered and in my hands 2/13/10) for $1600.00 shipped. I considered that price to be so good in fact, that I first questioned if this gun was either used or factory blemished. An agonizingly painfully scrutinous inspection clearly suggests this gun is neither used nor blemished, but just to be safe I ran the serial number through Dan Wesson for verification. Many thanks to Bobby and Cove Creek Outfitters for selling me this wonderful 1911 for $200.00 cheaper than I found anywhere else. The customer service was outstanding; Bobby set my local FFL up for shipping purposes and he shipped the gun the same day I purchased it.

The V-Bob comes as shown above. The package consists of the gun, two magazines, bushing wrench, oil, owners manual, Dan Wesson sticker, gun lock, and spent shell casing from factory testing. The V-Bob also comes standard with a grin that runs from ear to ear.

[hr]

[size=4]Shooting The V-Bob[/size=4]

The V-Bob did an outstanding job managing the recoil of many of the hottest +P commercial loads available. I was notably impressed to find that the V-Bob reliably cycles Corbon ammunition. It is the only 4"/4.25" 1911 I've ever tried that would cycle Corbon ammunition reliably (I've never had a problem with 5" 1911s cycling .45 Corbon, just the sub-5" versions). I ran 120 rounds of 230 grain Corbon .45 +P ammunition through the V-Bob without a single issue using Wilson Combat magazines.

These two pictures (shot with a fully automatic Canon DSLR camera) show the position of the V-Bob just prior to pulling the trigger.

These two pictures show the extent of the muzzle rise upon discharge of a Corbon 230 grain +P cartridge.

These two pictures show how nicely the V-Bob recovers from the hard hitting +P load. I was able to recover and get back on target before the spent casing was even out of reach.

[url="http://youtu.be/L3sCU_mp32Y"]Image
Shooting the Dan Wesson V-Bob[/url]

The wind was blowing so hard today that it was difficult to keep targets on the stands. It was difficult to judge accuracy because it was difficult to hold the weapon still in the wind. This also noticeably slowed my acquisition and recovery time. Because of the strong wind I could not test grouping, but the combat accurcy was simply outstanding.

When using OEM magazines the slide continually failed to lock back on empty, but when using Wilson Combat magazines I suffered no failures even when shooting the Corbon.

[hr]

[size=4]What I Like:[/size=4]

Image Bobtail: Bobbing a 1911 not only makes it feel better in the hand, but it also makes it even more concealable.

Image Fit & Finish - The fit and finish on this weapon is simply incredible. This is the quality of a custom for the price of an upper shelf production 1911. Slide to frame mating is outstanding, equal to the Springfield TRP that I promote regularly on this forum. This level of precision machining is rarely ever found in a production gun.

Image Ergonomics: It's a 1911!

Image Series 70 Trigger: The trigger is very smooth and crisp. Thank you Dan Wesson for remaining true to the original design!

Image Accuracy: The match grade barrel, outstanding trigger, and incredible 1911 ergonomics make this an extremely accurate 1911.

Image Zero MIM: I know that if MIM is done properly it is reliable, but even under the best circumstances, MIM is a cut corner in the weapon build. Manufacturers use MIM internals because it saves them a little money. I just like knowing that Dan Wesson firearms use no MIM what-so-ever. As I said earlier, this is true custom quality at upper-end production prices.

Image Contrast Night Sights: The V-Bob has a large green front night sight and a smaller white rear night sight (I'm still trying to determine if the rear sight is white or yellow; it looks a little like both). The point in having night sights is to be able to acquire your target with proper sight alignment in low light conditions. Using unloaded guns equipped with standard green night sights left out specifically to test this, in the past at night when waking up to piss I have tried acquiring sight alignment within a sight picture to see how well I could utilize my night sights. To my disappointment, while still half asleep I have a bit of trouble distinguishing my rear night sights from the front. They're all the same green color and when they are the only thing you see (while half asleep) it can take a bit of effort to distinguish between the front and rear sights. By having contrasting colors its much easier and faster to line up your night sights allowing you to focus on identifying the threat instead of spending more time than is necessary acquiring proper sight alignment.

Image Checkering: the 25 lpi checkering on this weapon is perfect. I've always preferred the 20 lpi to the 30 lpi, but the 25 lpi seems to grip as effectively as the 20 lpi without the slight bite that sissy-boys whine about.

Image Concealability: Thanks to the bobbed grip this weapon will disappear quite nicely.

[hr]

[size=4]What I Don't Like:[/size=4]

Image Magazines: I suffered several last round failures to feed using the factory magazines. Since I only carry Wilson Combat magazines this shouldn't bother me, but it does. I don't understand why any company would build such an ideal 1911 and then stick [img]smileys/poop.gif[/img]ty magazines in with it. This certainly isn't unique to Dan Wesson; all of my Springields, all of my Colts, all of my Kimbers, all of my 1911s for that matter come from the factory with [img]smileys/poop.gif[/img]ty magazines. Since Dan Wesson doesn't cut any other corners on this weapon it was just a disappointment to find the [img]smileys/poop.gif[/img]ty magazines. I'm confident its not just these two magazines either, as I also suffered magazine related failures in my [url="http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33759"]Dan Wesson Guardian[/url] that I also shot for the first time today.

[hr]

[size=4]What It Needs:[/size=4]

Image Font Slide Serrations: Seriously Dan Wesson, how could you have overlooked front strap serrations? This is a mod I will have done, as I always rack the slide by grabbing the front of it.

Image Ambidextrous Thumb Safety: This isn't a modification I will have done, but ambi-safeties have become an expectation.

Image Full-lenth MSH Checkering: The rounded bobbed MSH would benefit greatly from full-length checkering. This is a modification I will have done.

Image Speed Chute: I don't yet know if a speed chute is even available for a bobbed grip, but if it is this is a modification I will have done.

Image Full Thickness Grips: There is nothing wrong with the beautiful G10 grips that come on the V-Bob; I'm just not into this latest thin grip fad that I'm noticing industry wide. I very much prefer full thickness G10 grips and will be ordering a set of Monkey Grips for it.

[hr]

[size=4]How does it compare?[/size=4]

For comparison sake, I will be comparing The Dan Wesson V-Bob to a Colt Combat Commander and a Springfield Loaded Champion. Since neither has a fit and finish comparable to the Dan Wesson, I'm also comparing the Springfield TRP.

Fit & Finish
V-Bob [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
S-TRP [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
ColtC [:)][:)][:)]
Champ [:)][:)][:)][:)]

Reliability
ColtC [B)] ([url="http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3927"]CLICK HERE[/url]...it is what it is.)
Champ [:)][:)][:)][:)] (won't feed Corbon JHP, all else fine)

Accuracy
ColtC [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Champ [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Trigger
ColtC [:)][:)][:)][:)] (Series 80)

Cost
V-Bob [:)][:)][:)] ($1600.00)
S-TRP [:)][:)][:)] ($1500.00)
ColtC [:)][:)][:)][:)] ($850)
Champ [:)][:)][:)][:)] ($850)

Concealability
S-TRP [:D][:D][:D][:D]
ColtC [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Asthetics (irrelevant and relative)
ColtC [:D][:D][:D][:D]
Champ [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Springfield TRP and the Dan Wesson V-Bob

Overall Quality - Equal. These two upper-shelf 1911s are so close that I could not choose between the two.

Features - Advantage TRP. While both offer fantastic features, the TRP offers many that I wish the V-Bob had (front slide serrations, speed chute, ambi-safety, full-length MSH checkering).

Configuration - Advantage V-Bob (bobtail, commander length).

Value - Equal. Both weapons are priced similarly, and both give you a lot for the money!

Were I forced to choose between the two it would come down to the application. For concealed carry I wouldn't hesitate to carry either, but the V-Bob carries a little easier due to the bobbed grip and the commander length. With Wilson Combat magazines I trust either completely.

[hr]

[size=4]Conclusion:[/size=4]

This is one of the finest production 1911s made today. The only realistic comparison I have available is the Springfield TRP, and it cannot be had in a Commander length or with a bobbed grip. What it lacks in features it makes up for with the length and grip. This is without a doubt my ideal carry 1911, and a few modifications will make it my perfect carry 1911.

See my review on the [url="http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33759"]DAN WESSON GUARDIAN[/url].

Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Return to “Weapon Reviews”