Dan Wesson Guardian

Nathan
Site Admin

Dan Wesson Guardian

Postby Nathan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:23 am

[center]Image[/center]

"Dan Wesson Guardian (9mm)

We are bringing back the Dan Wesson Guardian with a twist. It has long been requested that we make a commander size 9mm. Here is the twist: We have combined the best features from two of our most popular models, the Bobtail Commander and the CCO. The new Guardian has the bobtail frame to help reduce printing when carrying concealed, and the alloy frame, makes it light enough for comfortable full time carry. The commander length slide and alloy frame give it just the right feel and balance. The Guardian wears the handsome and durable black “Duty” finish from Dan Wesson..

Item # and Suggested Retail Price: #01985 $1,530" - [url="http://www.cz-usa.com/press-releases/141/"]PRESS RELEASE[/url]

[hr]

As a lifelong 1911 enthusiast, 1911 purist, and proud 1911 snob I truly appreciate a fine 1911. I really wasn't in the market for a 1911 chambered in 9mm when I happened across the Dan Wesson Guardian at my local Cabela's store. Why would I buy a weapon that retails for $1500.00+ when I wasn't in the market for it? Look at it. This is the most beautiful weapon I have ever laid my eyes on and from the moment I saw it I knew I would own it.

Mine is a factory "blemished" model, as denoted by the Image (Lambda) stamped onto the end of the serial number. The "blemish" in question is a small blemish in the finish on the frame, underneath the slide stop. It is not visible when the weapon is assembled, and even when the weapon is disassembled I cannot get the blemish to show up in pictures. This minor blemish in the finish saved me about $400.00 on the cost of the gun, and assures me that the quality control at Dan Wesson is absolutely the best in the production gun industry.

The Guardian comes as shown above, complete with the gun, two magazines, bushing wrench, oil, owners manual, Dan Wesson sticker, gun lock, and spent shell casing from factory testing.

[hr]

[size=4]Shooting The Guardian[/size=4]

Shooting the Guardian is a true pleasure. Recoil is essentially non-existant with even the hottest loads. I ran 147 grain +P (1050 fps), 125 grain +P (1250 fps), and 115 grain +P (1400+ fps!) loads and suffered no failures other than the OEM magazine failures to lock the slide back on empty (a continual issue with the OEM magazines!).

[url="http://youtu.be/_zlPZzcvxJQ"]Image
Shooting the Dan Wesson Guardian[/url]

As the video above shows, recoil was absolutely insignificant.

[hr]

[size=4]What I Like:[/size=4]

Image Bobtail: Bobbing a 1911 not only makes it feel better in the hand, but it also makes it even more concealable. This weapon will disappear just about anywhere.

Image Fit & Finish - The fit and finish on this weapon is very good. Slide to frame mating is comparable to most other upper-medium shelf 1911s.

Image Ergonomics: It's a 1911!

Image Series 70 Trigger: The trigger is very smooth and crisp. Thank you Dan Wesson for remaining true to the original design!

Image Accuracy: The match grade barrel, outstanding trigger, and incredible 1911 ergonomics make this an extremely accurate 1911. Recoil is insignificant making follow-up shots very quick and accurate.

Image Contrast Night Sights: The Guardian has a green front night sight and a two dot white (I'm still trying to determine if the rear sight is white or yellow; it looks a little like both) rear night sight. The point in having night sights is to be able to acquire your target with proper sight alignment in low light conditions. Using unloaded guns equipped with standard green night sights left out specifically to test this, in the past at night when waking up to piss I have tried acquiring sight alignment within a sight picture to see how well I could utilize my night sights. To my disappointment, while still half asleep I have a bit of trouble distinguishing my rear night sights from the front. They're all the same green color and when they are the only thing you see (while half asleep) it can take a bit of effort to distinguish between the front and rear sights. By having contrasting colors its much easier and faster to line up your night sights allowing you to focus on identifying the threat instead of spending more time than is necessary acquiring proper sight alignment.

Image Concealability: This weapon will disappear just about anywhere.

Image Aesthetics: I know aesthetics don't matter, but this is the most beautiful gun I have ever seen. While I would have preferred full thickness grips, these grips are true art and absolutely complete this package. I usually replace grips with Larry Davidson's Monkey Grips, but these OEM grips will stay right where they are.

[size=4]What I Don't Like:[/size=4]

Image Magazines: I suffered continual failures to lock the slide back on empty using the factory magazines. Since I only carry Wilson Combat magazines this shouldn't bother me, but it does. I don't understand why any company would build such a beautiful 1911 and then stick [img]smileys/poop.gif[/img]ty magazines in with it. This certainly isn't unique to Dan Wesson; all of my Springields, all of my Colts, all of my Kimbers, all of my 1911s for that matter come from the factory with [img]smileys/poop.gif[/img]ty magazines. Since Dan Wesson doesn't cut any other corners on this weapon it was just a disappointment to find the [img]smileys/poop.gif[/img]ty magazines. I'm confident its not just these two magazines either, as I also suffered magazine related failures in my Dan Wesson V-Bob that I also shot for the first time today. I'm sorry to say that Checkmate magazines are [img]smileys/poop.gif[/img].

[size=4]What It Needs:[/size=4]

Image Font Slide Serrations: Seriously Dan Wesson, how could you have overlooked front strap serrations? This is a mod I will have done, as I always rack the slide by grabbing the front of it.

Image Ambidextrous Thumb Safety: This isn't a modification I will have done, but ambi-safeties have become an expectation.

Image Full-lenth MSH Checkering: The rounded bobbed MSH would benefit greatly from full-length checkering. This is a modification I will have done.

Image Speed Chute: I don't yet know if a speed chute is even available for a bobbed grip, but if it is this is a modification I will have done.

[hr]

[size=4]How does it compare?[/size=4]

Dan Wesson V-Bob (.45) and Dan Wesson Guardian (9mm)

Dan Wesson Guardian and Springfield EMP

I will be comparing The Dan Wesson Guardian to a Colt Combat Commander and a Springfield Loaded Champion, and a lightly modified Springfield EMP.

Fit & Finish
Guard [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
S-EMP [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
ColtC [:)][:)][:)]
Champ [:)][:)][:)][:)]

Reliability
ColtC [B)] ([url="http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3927"]CLICK HERE[/url]...it is what it is.)
Champ [:)][:)][:)][:)] (won't feed Corbon JHP, all else fine)

Accuracy
ColtC [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Champ [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Trigger
ColtC [:)][:)][:)][:)] (Series 80)

Cost
Guard [:)][:)][:)] ($1,500.00)
S-EMP [:)][:)][:)][:)] ($1,200.00)
ColtC [:)][:)][:)][:)] ($850)
Champ [:)][:)][:)][:)] ($850)

Concealability
S-EMP [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] (Five [:D]'s is the highest rating, but the EMP deserves a little more!)
ColtC [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Asthetics (irrelevant and relative)
ColtC [:D][:D][:D][:D]
Champ [:D][:D][:D][:D]

Dan Wesson Guardian and Springfield EMP

Overall Quality - Equal. These two 9mm 1911s are so close that I could not choose between the two.

Accuracy - Equal. Both offer fantastic accuracy.

Configuration - Equal. Both are set up very nice, and features not found on either could be added.

Value - Equal. Both weapons are priced similarly enough, and both give you a lot for the money!

Were I forced to choose between the two I don't know how I would do it.

[hr]

[size=4]Conclusion:[/size=4]

The Dan Wesson Guardian is one beautiful 9mm 1911 that is sure to become one of my all time favorites. Shooting it is a true pleasure that gets better with each trigger press.

[center]Image[/center]

See my review on the [url="http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33758"]DAN WESSON V-Bob[/url].
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Return to “Weapon Reviews”