Mouse-guns

Nathan
Site Admin

Mouse-guns

Postby Nathan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:18 am

MouseGunTruth.com

You are linked to this page because you are reading or participating in a thread including discussion on mouse-guns or mouse-gun calibers. With the growing popularity of mouse-guns and the many discussions concerning them, I felt it necessary to create this article to prevent a lot of redundant responses as well as to combat the aggressive marketing of mouse-guns by manufacturers who want to sell you one.

In regards to concealed carry, everything is a compromise. You sacrifice caliber for capacity or overall size, features for cost, sight radius for concealability, etc. Any time you pick up a handgun instead of a rifle, carbine, or shotgun you are compromising and this is perfectly acceptable by any reasonable standard as you cannot realistically carry an M4 under your coat. One sacrifice you cannot afford to make however is to sacrifice true security for convenience.

Mouse-guns are indeed very convenient. You can slip them in your pocket and walk with nothing more required. You can dress around a mouse-gun with nothing more than anything that has a pocket. It takes absolutely no effort at all to effectively conceal a mouse-gun. Anything this perfect must have a downside and mouse-guns are no exception. Simply put, mouse-gun calibers (.380, .32, .25, etc.) are absolutely inadequate and should never be entrusted to protect your life. Mouse-gun calibers simply do not possess the ballistic properties required to ensure an incapacitating wound with any consistancy despite near perfect shot placement which is nearly impossible to obtain anyway while under the stresses of a defensive shooting.

I continually hear the argument from those who want to justify carrying mouse-guns: "would you want to be shot by a .380?". This is a ridiculous position to argue because I'm not the threat that you should be concerned about (anyone of sound mind will likely try to avoid being shot by any bullet). The threat you need to worry about is the tweaker who is jacked out of his mind on meth/crack/(or anything comparable) who isn't thinking rationally and does not feel pain and he will continue to fight you until he is physically unable to (see example of Moros Tribesmen at CarryGuide.com). Will a .380 kill a human size threat? Absolutely; but can you afford to wait several minutes for him to bleed-out? How will your threat spend those minutes while he is bleeding-out? Shooting at you, perhaps? Stabbing you, perhaps? Caving in your skull, perhaps?

Another argument I hear from those who want to justify carrying mouse-guns: "A .380 in your pocket is better than a 9mm you left in your car" (because it's too big to carry). While any gun on your person is better than any gun left in the car, this argument is based on a false choice. We have seen the market flooded with many great truly sub-compact guns chambered in legitimate service calibers. The Glock 43 pictured above is one such choice and there are many other great choices from which to choose. The S&W M&P Shield (9mm, .40 and .45) is my personal favorite. Other great choices include the Springfield XD-s (9mm, .40 and .45), the Walther PPS (9mm and .40), the Ruger LC9 (9mm), the Sig P238 (9mm) and many more. With so many great choices from which to choose, there is just no rational argument to be made for carrying mouse-gun calibers.

Some will advise you that if you carry a mouse-gun to take a head-shot. With enough practice this is quite easy to do at the range in perfect lighting against a paper target that isn't charging towards you or shooting at you. In real life its not nearly as easy. The stresses of a defensive shooting removes your finer motor skills making it extremely difficult to hit center mass much less a head-shot. I just don't see the typical person being able to hit a large charging threat in the head most likely under less than perfect lighting conditions who could be shooting them. Simply put, if your defensive plan depends on a perfectly placed shot to the head you need a new plan.

The primary objective in a defensive shooting is not to "kill" your attacker; the primary objective is to stop your attacker from attacking you and this is done by removing his will to fight as quickly and efficiently as is possible. If your attacker is tweaking (or comparable), shooting small, shallow holes in his chest that aren't deep enough to reach anything vital will not immediately remove his will to fight. The most efficient and proven method (statistically) to remove his will to fight immediately is with service caliber bullets that are capable of penetrating deep enough to reach his vital organs.

We carry a gun in preparation to face the last thing we ever want to have to do....shoot to defend our lives. If I'm not in trouble, the weapon I have with me is absolutely insignificant. It's only when I'm in absolute grave danger that my weapon becomes the only thing standing between myself and death. Knowing that, why wouldn't I want the absolute best tool available for the job? Your handgun can quite possibly be the only thing that gets you home safely tonight. With this in mind, I hope you will carry a handgun with more stopping power potential than mouse-guns offer. I want the exact same thing that you want. I want you to make it home safely and if you have to defend your life a service caliber is the better tool for the job. Yes, any gun is better than no gun at all, but it doesn't truly come down to that and those who believe it tell that to themselves to feel better about trading security for convenience. It's bad enough that so many are sucked in by corporate marketing after reading a bought and paid for magazine review and bought a mouse-gun. While I understand that they spent the money and want to feel better about it, encouraging others to repeat the same mistake is inexcusable.

Please take a few minutes and read MY CARRY GUIDE as it lists many options for your consideration.

ConcealedCarryForum.com exists to promote all aspects of responsible carry and we accomplish this by dispensing reliable, proven information. What you do with that information, is certainly up to you.

Be safe,
Nathan
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Return to “Carry Science”