Bad news/Good news/Bad news

yankeejib

Bad news/Good news/Bad news

Postby yankeejib » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:01 am

The bad news is back in April I had a series of health issues that I had to address. My body systems seem to be wanting to race each other into extinction. I've had kidney, liver, and cardio issues. But I know several of you have far worse problems, so I'm blessed.

The good news is I addressed several of these problems with a radical change in lifestyle and diet. I love to cook and I'm good at it, but some things just have to give. On May 1st I began making my changes. Since then I've gone from 335lbs down to 250lbs in six months. I have become very creative in eliminating carbs, red meat, processed sugar, and junk/fast food, and incorporating vegetables, and portion control. I've eaten more cauliflower, spinach, and zucchini the last six months than I have my whole life combined. I also got rid of alcohol, which has been a struggle in and of itself. I gave my still away. My doctor asked me what my weight loss goal was. I don't have one. I don't need one. This isn't a temporary deal. When I finished the Appalachian Trail in 1999, I was down to my high school weight of 170. I would be happy with that again. My clothes that are too big go directly to charity because I won't be back to ever wear them.

The bad news (and why this under Carry Tech), is my conceal is starting to diminish. I always found my spare tire to be an ideal conceal over the butt of my gun, but more and more, I feel like my piece is sticking way out. I know that's not true and most of the time I couldn't give a shit, but there are times......this morning one of my fellow choir members who knows came to me privately and told me that a couple of other choir members had made me and they were "nervous" especially with all the crap going down. Aside from the philosophical differences that WE all know and understand so well, I was just disappointed to be censured. I thanked my friend for telling me and then it took me about 3 minutes to resume not giving a damn what other people think about my carry, but all of a sudden I am considering some different carry styles/holsters. I mean IWB strong side hip is where it belongs. I pulled out my Crossbreed to wear it around a little. I really don't like it, and I don't like my gun in Kydex, but it is a very functional holster and I know there's many fans here. I've tried moving from 3pm carry to 2 or 5, but that is not comfortable to me.

Any ideas you would offer would be welcome! Thank you!
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Bad news/Good news/Bad news

Postby Nathan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:57 am

Truly sorry to learn of your health issues but I'm glad that you are addressing them. What model of carry gun are you trying to conceal?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Nathan wrote:Truly sorry to learn of your health issues but I'm glad that you are addressing them. What model of carry gun are you trying to conceal?

G23. It's not that hard, but it spooked me to be made at church. My standard response to "Do you carry a gun?" is: "No, I carry two." My instinct towards self-preservation supersedes my faith, and frankly, church is about the only place I might insert myself into a situation. Everywhere else, I'm running away, but I feel an incredible sense of obligation to be the sheep dog for my people in the face of evil. I did, however, figure out that a shift to 3:30 with a little more cant (is that the right word---the angle?) puts the butt right back up along my decreasing fat crease and is comfortable moving around and sitting and driving.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Would a fanny pack be more appropriate for church? I wore a fanny pack through Disney Land and nobody seemed to take notice.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Nathan wrote:Would a fanny pack be more appropriate for church? I wore a fanny pack through Disney Land and nobody seemed to take notice.

To me, besides being corny, a fanny pack screams gun. I'd convert my Safepacker to a choir folder before I'd do that. As you know, the Safepacker kicks ass (once you razor blade the label off). I use it a lot in the summer with the strap tight around my off hand. PLUS, I can carry a second mag easy. How funny it would be to just double Safepacker all the time and call it a cell phone, or hang some dead headphones off it and call it a personal entertainment system.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Indeed; I continue to carry in a Safepacker to work every day. In your case however, since you've already been "made", they're going to know what it is. Since it's choir practice and not very physical, can you get away with appendix carry?
Nathan in Image

LWP

Postby LWP » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:09 pm

yankeejib wrote:I did, however, figure out that a shift to 3:30 with a little more cant (is that the right word---the angle?) puts the butt right back up along my decreasing fat crease and is comfortable moving around and sitting and driving.

I, too, enjoy my Crossbreed at 3:30 with good cant. Never been made, as far as I know, but I don't have your overweight problem so I can't advise on that.

Addressing your church situation, is this a good time to start a congregational conversation about community safety, security, etc? The recent killings at worship should have people interested in doing something.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:21 pm

LWP wrote:
yankeejib wrote:I did, however, figure out that a shift to 3:30 with a little more cant (is that the right word---the angle?) puts the butt right back up along my decreasing fat crease and is comfortable moving around and sitting and driving.

I, too, enjoy my Crossbreed at 3:30 with good cant. Never been made, as far as I know, but I don't have your overweight problem so I can't advise on that.

Addressing your church situation, is this a good time to start a congregational conversation about community safety, security, etc? The recent killings at worship should have people interested in doing something.

Yes, my church is big and I have noticed changes they have made for safety/security. I've not been part of any discussions so I'm not privy to details, but all I know is I don't put my well being in that hands of anyone.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 am

Ya know if all else fails, this is an actual, functional belt buckle holster. :)

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/acce ... fle/bbo-l/
Nathan in Image

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:58 am

That's funny. I actually shot that gun a week ago. We killed some pumpkins.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:58 pm

I posted it as a gag; I ordered it as soon as I posted the picture just as a novelty. The buckle through NAA and the gun through Bud's. :)
Nathan in Image

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:15 pm

I don't think you'll get through security.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:28 pm

The M & P Shieid, although limited in capacity, is a lot easier to conceal, has a great trigger, and could provide a possible solution. Hope you get all those Florida votes counted, lol
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:19 am

samuelrp wrote:The M & P Shieid, although limited in capacity, is a lot easier to conceal, has a great trigger, and could provide a possible solution. Hope you get all those Florida votes counted, lol

I was poking around in the attic and found some uncounted (D) ballots. I literally jumped the crap out some nurse at the hospital last night (whole different story...I dislocated my hip yesterday on my motorcycle) because he said, "I think they should get to the bottom of this recount because ALL votes should count". My answer was "even the unregistered voters, the illegal voters, the people who didn't make the deadline for mail-ins, the disqualified ballots? You're just not very bright." He just walked away and never saw him again. Don't lay your crap politics on me when I'm in pain and under the influence of narcotics.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 am

I can appreciate that...but at the same time, I wouldn't get political with anyone who has the potential of sticking you with needles. Three people you never argue with:

• Your waitress - she'll spit in your food.
  • Your mailman - you'll never get your important mail ever again.
  • Any person responsible to stab you with needles for obvious reasons.
:D
Nathan in Image

lazyh

Postby lazyh » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:44 am

I have a dentist friend that has been known to pull the wrong tooth on obnoxious patients.

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:26 pm

lazyh wrote:I have a dentist friend that has been known to pull the wrong tooth on obnoxious patients.

Sounds like a great way to get murdered.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:26 pm

Get a Glock 43 9mm. You can either pocket carry it, or carry IWB. It'll carry IWB better than your other Glock. You can carry an extra mag in another pocket, and they make a +2 mag extension so you can carry more rounds

lazyh

Postby lazyh » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:12 am

11bravo wrote:
lazyh wrote:I have a dentist friend that has been known to pull the wrong tooth on obnoxious patients.

Sounds like a great way to get murdered.

He worked in a free government clinic and he made sure to tell them that the good tooth was bad also and needed to come outl

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:42 pm

MisterB wrote:Get a Glock 43 9mm. You can either pocket carry it, or carry IWB. It'll carry IWB better than your other Glock. You can carry an extra mag in another pocket, and they make a +2 mag extension so you can carry more rounds

My Xmas present this year is a 17. I can't wait. I'm going to carry that thing every day and the world can make me. I don't care except for the places that don't like my weapon, like my employer and the theater/arena that wands me now. I've gotten through twice on ankle carry and been busted twice. No real issue other than having to walk back to the car to unload.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Return to “CCW Tech”