I'm a bad gun owner . . . .

neilbedwell

I'm a bad gun owner . . . .

Postby neilbedwell » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:33 pm

I admit it, I'm a bad gun owner. 60+ hour work weeks are just wrecking my life. Throw in all the church activities I am a part of (and there are a lot - just left a 4.5 hour elder meeting this afternoon), going to the niece's ball games every week and attempting to actually get a decent nights sleep and I can't seem to find time to do anything - especially clean my gun. So, tonight for the first time in WAY too long, I cleaned my EDC. I have been carrying my Ruger LC9 in my right front pocket all day, every day. Let's just say that I was a bit shocked :o when I got it apart at how dirty it really was. Long story short, it took an hour to get it really cleaned up. Like I said, I am seriously ashamed right now.

So, just for the sake of discussion, what regimen do you folks follow for cleaning? Weekly, bi-weekly, once in a blue moon? I am going to forego the usual "go on a diet" new years resolution that lasts 6 minutes into the new year (actually I started that already - low carb - never felt better) and commit myself to something more important - weekly gun cleaning. So, for me, every Sunday night is going to be "cleaning" night for me from now on (and the wifey, for that matter. Her gun looks almost as nasty as mine - yeah I peeked in her purse).

Anybody do anything fancy that might save some time? Like those ultrasonic cleaner things? I'm always looking for something that would save some time. Any other bad gun owners out there like me? We could start our own support group....... I'll send out my cell number and we can all start a group text to remind each other it's cleaning time every week. LOL!!

RagTop454

Re: I'm a bad gun owner . . . .

Postby RagTop454 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:11 pm

I've had times that I too have let mine go too long between cleanings but I try to do it monthly unless I shoot one, then it's cleaned that day. Seems like my G26 (usually carried either IWB or OWB) doesn't collect near as much lint/dirt as my SIG 938 (usually pocket carried).

Glenn

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:28 am

I wipe mine down with a silicone or gun cloth weekly, touch up with remoil every three weeks where rust could be prone to start and take down after shooting or when it appears a relube is required. Just curious, you are using a pocket holster? And a quick edit, I do love the smell of hoppes # 9 in the air.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

neilbedwell

Postby neilbedwell » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:40 am

I use (and highly recommend) a Robert Mika pocket holster. I would never pocket carry without a holster of some kind.

My wife swears she's going to start buying Hoppes instead of whatever perfume it is she wears. She just gets me . . . .:)

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:43 am

I usually do a standard cleaning of my EDC's about every 3-4 months and will wipe them down as needed.

My competition pistols on the other hand, get cleaned about 3-4 times a year. Once at the begining of the season, before major matches, and at the end of the season. At times they will see 1500+ rounds down range before ill clean them. My competition revolvers on the other hand, get cleaned after every match as they are a little more sensitive to fouling, especially in the cylinder.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

jmhyer

Postby jmhyer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:42 am

I clean after every shooting.
Otherwise, my IWB-carried firearms don't seem to get dirty, other than a little lint/fabric dust in more exposed areas. For that, I usually just spray it off with some of that computer keyboard stuff in a can. As far as frequency of this, it's probably about once every month or two...on the unusual occasion when it hasn't been fired for a while.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:07 pm

jmhyer wrote:I clean after every shooting.
Otherwise, my IWB-carried firearms don't seem to get dirty, other than a little lint/fabric dust in more exposed areas. For that, I usually just spray it off with some of that computer keyboard stuff in a can. As far as frequency of this, it's probably about once every month or two...on the unusual occasion when it hasn't been fired for a while.

Careful with those spray cans. They can get moisture inside some of the components, and rust. You've probably noticed how cold stuff gets when it is sprayed, which of course can lead to condensation. There's a guy on another forum that did that to his firing pin on multiple occasions, and it rusted and started binding

jmhyer

Postby jmhyer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:36 pm

No worries. Brief controlled bursts don't seems to be a problem. Avoid prolonged sprays with the can held sideways or upside down though.

straightshooter629

Postby straightshooter629 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Of course, I clean after every range session. Other than that, I tend to be a little OCD, so I perform a complete cleaning of my EDCs once a month, but I kind of enjoy cleaning my weapons...it's sort of therapeutic.

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Generally I clean after any range practice and about every month for my edc. I will however use compressed air to blow the dust off quite often. I use grease instead of oil because it doesn't wick away into the clothes.

I pocket carry my revolver as well, as far as corrosion goes, I have scandium and titanium on my side.
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

chemist

Postby chemist » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:32 am

Clean? You're supposed to clean it? I can't remember the last time I cleaned my G19. Maybe that's the frequency I should use. When I can't remember when the last time was.
"Don't tread on me" - Leave me and my property unmolested, and I won't have a sneaking desire to imagine you with a bullet displacing your brain tissue.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:00 am

I clean after every trip to the range or the woods. I use a horse hair brush to brush down my carry piece daily before I put it on the night stand.
I lube my carry piece a couple of times a month whether it has been fired or not.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:20 am

I'm like Straightshooter, cleaning my guns is therapeutic. It also familiarizes you with your guns and reminds you of little things.

Plus, if I am going to have my life possibly depend on the weapon, I want to be sure it is always in top condition. Clean your guns.

knic

Postby knic » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:33 am

I clean them after a trip to the range. Other than that I'd guess they get cleaned 3-4 times a year.

StrangeBird1911

Postby StrangeBird1911 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:51 pm

If a gun has been sitting in the safe for a year, does it really need to be cleaned?

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:27 pm

StrangeBird1911 wrote:If a gun has been sitting in the safe for a year, does it really need to be cleaned?

Well, oil evaporates and some grease gums up over time. I'd clean it, but that is just me.

Tye

Postby Tye » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:03 am

This is probably basic knowledge for most here, but for you guys that might haunt frigid locations, please keep excess oil/grease out of your striker/fire pin channels. Coagulated gunk combined with lint, dust, etc. then frozen (perhaps when left in car when visiting a "no-zone") could possibly remove the click-bang from your trigger pull! Maybe yet another reason I love the hammer!
Best regards,

Tye

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:21 am

Tye wrote:This is probably basic knowledge for most here, but for you guys that might haunt frigid locations, please keep excess oil/grease out of your striker/fire pin channels. Coagulated gunk combined with lint, dust, etc. then frozen (perhaps when left in car when visiting a "no-zone") could possibly remove the click-bang from your trigger pull! Maybe yet another reason I love the hammer!

Good point Tye, my father was elk hunting in Colorado while I was stationed in Germany and he was using my 30-06 Parker Hale. For many years he always used his old GI gun grease on all our weapons. It was bitter cold as he came back into camp and proceeded to unload the Parker Hale Mauser action. Just like you mentioned though the thick grease held the firing pin back and didn't allow the sear to do it's job. He had the gun pointed in a safe direction but BOOM and it scared the crap out of him. Took him a bit to figure out what the problem was and he completely degreased the action and used a more modern lube on it. No problems since.

Montanapatriot

Postby Montanapatriot » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:19 pm

The frozen firing pin happened to me 30 years ago with a borrowed WWII 30-06 Springfield on a deer hunt South of Cascade, MT.
Lord knows if the firing pin had ever been removed and cleaned in it's lifetime. It was about -10 F and the gun had been on my shoulder for about an hour out of the truck.
I took up a position in a bottom area that allowed me to watch a clearing about 200 yds up the side of a hill. About 10 min later a doe poked her head out and then she proceeded across, she paused several times to look back so I knew more were coming, after several other does came out a decent 4 pt (Western) Muley buck came out. I put the crosshairs on target and got a "click" when I pulled the trigger. I lifted the bolt handle to recock the weapon and prayed it would fire. The second time it did and I got my deer.
Since then every gun I have owned had the firing pin and firing pin channel totally degreased.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:39 am

I carry Glocks; I don't suffer such "pretty gun problems". :D
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:52 am

Nathan wrote:I carry Glocks; I don't suffer such "pretty gun problems". :D

:D

Return to “CCW Tech”