The Carry Guide

Pickwick

Re: The Carry Guide

Postby Pickwick » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:36 pm

My reading that on the BHP forum is why I am here. I thought, "Wow, this guy really knows his shit."

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Gentlemen, I am humbled; truly. Thank you, sincerely! I had originally created the rough draft in 2009 to utilize as a starting point for students who signed up for classes. By browsing the Guide before class they would at least be familiar with the terminology used in the class and prevent a lot of redundant explanation. Eventually another instructor who was assisting me published the link on his website and it just grew from there. It's been awhile since I've updated it. A lot has changed since the original version and I'm slowing updating it now but I'm trying not to go too far with it so as not to take away from my Advanced Carry Guide that I've been creating over the past year and will publish when finished. The permanent direct link is CarryGuide.com and should be accessible to everyone, non-members included. Please, feel free to share the link.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Rules to LIVE by:
1- Always be armed.
Always, without exception. Trouble doesn’t schedule an appointment before stopping by, and you should always be prepared for it. We don’t expect our house to burn down, but we keep fire extinguishers anyway. We don’t expect to wreck our car, but we click our seatbelts anyway. On that quick trip to the store we don’t expect to be assaulted but we had better prepare for it anyway else we place ourselves at the mercy of others.

Example #1- While living in North Carolina I was walking to my kitchen at 1 am. As I rounded the corner wearing only a towel I found myself 5 feet away from a crack-head who was trying to force his way into my glass back door. I had to then make a mad dash back to my bedroom to retrieve a firearm, temporarily leaving my kids’ bedrooms between myself and the crack-head. Had I been properly armed I would not have subjected myself and my children to this vulnerability. Having learned this lesson, I now take a Fobus paddle holster and a Glock to the bathroom with me. A Fobus paddle works great in a tightly wrapped towel for that walk from the shower to your bedroom.

Example #2- In another incident I was loading my 2 year old daughter into her car seat in the back of my Jeep Wrangler when I noticed a look of fear on her face. She was terrified and pointing behind me. Instinctually I drew my handgun as I turned to find 4 men who had formed a semi-circle around me. Had I not been armed I’m quite certain that I would have lost my money, my vehicle, possibly my life, and worst of all most likely my daughter who was buckled into the back seat.

With a firearm you at least have a chance. If you don’t have a firearm you’re at the will of those who do. Choose the largest caliber that you can shoot effectively and dress around it. Always, without exception.

Yes my friends Nathan's carry guide was a life changer for me. Although I had carried since 1979 when my wife and I got our first concealed carry permits in Washington state for $5 each. After reading about his experiences in Fayetteville NC where I used to live and actually stopped a robbery in the Gun Shop where I worked part time purely by accident. Anyway after reading what Nathan wrote I changed the way I lived to the point I never leave the house without my gun. I commend you Nathan and that is one of the reasons I suggested you think about training others instead of running for sheriff.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:50 pm

Mr. Verisimilitude you have some interesting and true points. I do agree with the power of the sheriff both good and bad. Nathan would make one that would make Yellowstone county proud if they can get past the politics and crap that happens as soon as you put your name in the hat. For me the biggest deal is the size of the county. Too big and you have to deal with too many crooks. In the process that terrible influence becomes a part of your life. In a small county you might get lucky and not have too much evil to deal with. That evil just plain scares me though. It can rub off if there is too much of it. I would be terrified of it following me home and the impact on my family. My hat is off to the good law enforcement people here but as this forum has shown we are finding less and less law enforcement folks that we can look up to. I think it's that evil that changes them. If you deal with crooks all day it has a way of changing your attitude. We all see it way to often in especially undercover law enforcement. They have to act like bad guys and it rubs off seeing all those ill gotten gains sometimes with no accountability. They end up either getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar or that sense of power or meanness can rub off. I would hate like hell to bring any of that home to my family. My wife has a nephew that I've often wondered if he does not like that sense of power he has as a deputy on an Indian reservation too much. Don't get me wrong I don't think Nathan is that type of guy. I do remember Nathan complaining about the crooked politics of his county or city. Remember the movie Walking Tall the story about Sheriff Buford Pusser and how he took down the crooked political machine but in the long run they killed him by the time he was 37 in 1974. However it also cost his wife's life in 1967. In the long run Nathan the ball is in your court.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:12 am

ridurall wrote:that sense of power or meanness can rub off.

If someone doesn't go into that field a monster already, they stand a good chance of coming out of it as one.

ridurall wrote:My wife has a nephew that I've often wondered if he does not like that sense of power he has as a deputy on an Indian reservation too much.

That is unfortunate. There have been numerous studies showing that the vast overwhelming majority of people who are put into a position of "authority" over others will end up abusing that power for pleasure. Whatever the psychological cause of this sadism, and it is true sadism, it goes hand in hand with the belief in authority - and authority, no matter what it is wrapped in, is always the belief that one individual owns another and has the right to rule them.

As Tolkien put it "The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men."

There are few real Peace Officers left, who simply make it their job to protect society from truly dangerous criminals who prey upon the vulnerable, and leave it at that without walking all over others, as they have for the most part been replaced with Policy Enforcement Officers who get off on the "power" they have allegedly been given through the "divine right of politicians". It's a sad state of affairs, but governments only do what their people allow them to get away with.

Therefore the problems we face cannot be dealt with simply by looking at one or two institutions and attributing all guilt to them. We have to look at the whole of our society and examine its behaviour and beliefs - unfortunately, most of the people in our society are in favor of using violence (in this case via the state) to force their desires and values on others. The result is the violent, chaotic society we are living in today.

We will most likely only see a decline in these problems when the majority of our society recognizes the inherent wrongness of taking what doesn't belong to them, to abducting and incarcerating people for making personal choices that do no harm to others, and to believing that we can impose our will on others without seeing it come back to bite us.

If there is no victim, there is no crime. Any law which prohibits personal choice, demands the surrender of rightfully acquired property, or requires involuntary participation in someone else's schemes is anethema to freedom, anethema to peace, and anethema to the human spirit.

When we can come to that understanding and treat each other with respect and dignity, instead of seeing each other as unfit to run our own lives or as Property of the State, then we will start solving more problems than we create. If we can't make the transition to see each other as individual free men and women with an inviolable right to our own lives, then we are truly screwed and will continue to see this land and the world as a whole spiral downward into the Abyss and the clawing hands of what waits Beneath.

Peace and God Bless
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

riadat

Postby riadat » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:27 am

A lot of things were handled better before we became so civilized. All the criminals have rights and even citizens have "rights" but they aren't really rights. Like expecting someone else to protect you-- that isn't a right that is just ignorant. And being a criminal and raping, killing, molesting kids-- and having rights? Back in the day if someone raped your wife or diddled your kid? You killed them right? Maybe with a couple of your brothers. Problem solved. Now they go to jail for a few years, get out, do it 5 more times. WTF is that.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:00 pm

That my friend is liberalism destroying this country.

Tye

Postby Tye » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:21 am

Sheriff!

Not unless he is willing to take on yet another wife or two! Just my premonition -- I'm not recommending it.
Best regards,

Tye

Return to “CCW Tech”