range gun vs concealed

johnnyc

range gun vs concealed

Postby johnnyc » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:37 am

- my wife just purchased and received decent training on her Glock 43- new shooter. while she is quite accurate at 5-7 yards , the accuracy drops off after that. I told her to get a handgun with a longer site radius for range and marksmanship. she states she feels she just needs to keep practicing with the piece she will eventually carry. Thoughts- ? We both may be right in some respects.

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: range gun vs concealed

Postby Nathan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:23 am

I agree with your wife; be proficient with your carry gun first. Range guns are nice but carry guns are crucial.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:13 pm

My advice is for her to practice like she's doing until she's confident with her carry gun at 10 yards, and then to start working on shooting her G43 one handed without the use of sights at around 3-5 yards. If she has to use it to defend herself, chances are it will be at very short distance and there will be no time to use the sights.

Best
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

flymaker

Postby flymaker » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:08 pm

I must agree with the 2 above statements .... a personal defense situation will most likely be close and fast . I practice shooting from the hip as soon as the gun breaks the leather ..... I also do this while retreating 1 or 2 quick rounds from the hip then come to full draw while retreating . If she likes her 43 well that's what she needs to be good with . If you and she can go shoot some IDPA matches give it a try ..shooting on the move using cover , mag changes are all good thing to be familiar with . Standing at a range is good for practicing double taps from a low ready position and learning how to shoot from the trigger reset ..... If you have any way of getting on some private property set up some bad guy targets and shoot while retreating , from the hip ...mag changes .....hopefully none of this is ever needed ...but one never knows . stay safe

Return to “CCW Tech”