Developing a flinch

Nathan
Site Admin

Developing a flinch

Postby Nathan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:31 pm

I'm scared to think of how many millions of rounds I have fired over my lifetime, yet for some reason I'm developing a flinch when I pull the trigger. I confirmed this by having my magazines loaded by others with randomly inserted dummy cartridges mixed in with live ammo. I don't know why it's hitting me now at this stage. The only thing I can think of to explain it is that I've a splinter buried deep in my trigger finger right on the last joint. There is an element of pain when its touched but I never thought it was bad enough to disrupt my sight alignment. I've attempted digging the splinter out but ultimately it's too deep. I'll have the doctor dig it out in hopes of correcting my shooting.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Smurf

Re: Developing a flinch

Postby Smurf » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:49 am

I too havebut mine is self inflicted. I can't believe at age 72 I am starting to flinch. I try to consciously hold steady but after a while I will jerk or push the gun when I pull the trigger. I wish I could blame it on something else but I can't. I've just got to work it out.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Smurf wrote:after a while I will jerk or push the gun when I pull the trigger. I wish I could blame it on something else but I can't. I've just got to work it out.
That's where I'm at as well. I don't flinch when I shoot left handed so I'm guessing it has to do with the splinter in my joint. I guess I'm going to have to get the doctor to get it because I've been trying to dig it out for a year or so and in the last couple months its started to get painful. Leave it to me to get a splinter in my trigger finger. :(
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

LWP

Postby LWP » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Of course the splinter could be a problem, but the doc can fix that.

Here's two suggestions which might overcome flinching for either a beginner shooter or an old hand:
1. Get back to basics, shoot a bunch of .22 cal. Pistol or rifle, very little physical impact lets you concentrate on breathing, trigger press, sight alignment, focus, etc.
2. Don't just stand there and aim, anticipation of the discharge causes mental distress. Draw and shoot. Move and shoot. When bullet placement is the mental focus, the physical discomfort of the noise and kick can be ignored as a minor part of the process.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:19 pm

Get the finger fixed, and go from there. The rest is probably in your head, because you're focusing on it too much. Kind of like a football player that's started to fumble, or a golfer that gets the yips when putting. It gets in their head and they focus on it to the point that they make it even worse

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:54 pm

MisterB wrote:Get the finger fixed, and go from there.

That's the plan at this point. It's just going to suck having my trigger finger wrapped in bandage...but I suppose that's better than letting this drag on another year.
Nathan in Image

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Your doing everything right with having someone load your gun with the random dummy. Sure is good to prove who is the dummy behind the trigger! :D We did the same thing shooting Silhouette and when we proved there was a flinch problem we would get them back to shooting the .22 and trying not to focus on when the gun was going to go off. It should surprise you to some extent. It also helped turn me into a trigger Nazi. A SAFE light, clean breaking trigger is a great help in getting past a flinching problem.

Stoble

Postby Stoble » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:58 pm

I recently got an extremely small wood splinter in my foot from my back deck. That was in the early morning and then I forgot about it. That night in bed my foot was throbbing! I could not believe a small splinter could cause all that pain. It had to stop it or I was going somewhere they could remove it. I used a magnifying glass on a flex arm, and a bright lamp light, plus a razor blade. Alcohol used to prep everything used like the tweezers and razor. The speck of wood was only really viewable from the magnifying glass. Why so much pain?? Then I realized the years of treatment I had applied of wood protector with chemicals to fight sun fade, rot, etc. Those products of oil were why my body rejected the splinter so much. Hard to believe at first.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:27 am

I'm happy to report that I have finally got the splinter out and am beginning to heal. I hope to have my trigger finger back to normal soon.
Nathan in Image

LWP

Postby LWP » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:00 pm

One month later!

Pick one:
It was major surgery.
My doctor is a busy guy.
I have an aversion to razor blades.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:23 pm

I cut it out myself. I recently broke my foot and while being treated for pain management I decided to cut into it deeper than I previously could.
Nathan in Image

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:29 pm

Let's hope you didn't cut any nerves, and won't be able to feel with your trigger finger. Then again, maybe you won't be as much of a trigger snob lol ;)

Return to “CCW Tech”