Soaking/cleaner

Nathan
Site Admin

Soaking/cleaner

Postby Nathan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:38 pm

I'm looking for a better way to bulk clean my guns. My sonic cleaner does a pretty good job but even after running several cycles I can still get carbon when running a white cloth through their hard to reach places. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is the absolute best cleaner I know of, but that requires manual application. There are times I'll take a dozen guns to the range and when I clean them I'll fill up the house with fumes so this isn't going to work for what I hope to accomplish, either.
I'm considering utilizing a sealed bucket with either kerosene, mineral spirits or other wonder-product, detail stripping my guns, dropping them into the cleaner to soak for an unspecified amount of time and then blowing them out with compressed air, coating everything with rem-oil (not as mating surface lubricant but as overall metal protection since all the oil will be stripped...for places not typically lubricated like 1911 trigger bars), wiping it all down then lubricating with Mobil 1 prior to reassembly.
Does kerosene or mineral spirits or other wonderful product that I'm not aware of that you are going to recommend have any affect on polymer frames left soaking in it (informed opinions, please)? Is there a better way? Is there a way to properly filter kerosene, mineral spirits or other wonderful product for long term reuse? Anything else I'm over-looking?
Thanks,
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: Soaking/cleaner

Postby MisterB » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:55 pm

It honestly sounds like you're overthinking it, and might be doing more harm than good. At the very least, you're certainly spending too much time on it.

This guy has it about right

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:05 pm

One step he doesn't do, that I like to, is using Hoppe's unscented oil wipes, followed by a clean microfiber cloth. I'd just take the main idea away from his video, instead of getting overly hung up on every step. He's basically saying some people overthink and complicate it, which can do harm to the guns

deadguy

Postby deadguy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:44 am

Mineral spirits bath for the metal parts for sure, regardless of finish. It works well on the blued finishes without risking any damage. I, too, use the Rem Oil for guns kept in the safe for a period of time. That combo is my preferred cleaning and storing solution. I am not sure about the mineral spirit's effect on plastic since I no longer own any. :)

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:33 am

If a DI had ever seen as much oil on my weapon as I see on people's guns today, I'd still be PT'ing. x(

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:12 pm

even if you let the soak, your going to still have to scrub them. I really dont see any net time savings by letting them soak vs cleaning a few at a time as time allows.

one thing you think about is perhaps setting up a dedicated cleaning station with a fume extraction system that sends them outside

or just have your son do it :p
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Return to “CCW Tech”