Cowboy loads and cover

Nathan
Site Admin

Cowboy loads and cover

Postby Nathan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:55 am

I'm watching the original The Magnificent Seven (1960) when at the 1:15:04 mark, character "Britt" (James Coburn) flips over a table made from old boards that are maybe 3/4" thick to utilize as cover. Image

I realize this is just a Hollywood movie but in nearly every western movie or show from A Fistful of Dollars to Gunsmoke you see something similar where old wooden tables/doors/etc. are utilized effectively as cover. While the .45 LC, .44-40 and others aren't magnum loads, they still pack a pretty dang heavy wallop and would easily penetrate such thin wood. I know these aren't intended to be documentaries, but how can they get it so consistently wrong?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: Cowboy loads and cover

Postby MisterB » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Same reason the good guy is constantly seen shooting the gun out of the hand of the bad guy while galloping on a horse. It's just total BS, designed for entertainment, by folks that didn't understand firearms... or reality. You see the same thing today, but a more modern version of it. Every time somebody points their Glock, they dub in that same god damn clicking sound, that's I guess supposed to be a safety being disengaged or a hammer being cocked. I'm not sure I can endure another movie, where some supposed bad ass chick wields twin matching pistols, where she points one down a hallway to her right and one down the hallway to her left, fires two shots and hits both bad guys in the head before they can get off a shot from their fully auto Uzi. Oh, or how about this... a dude firing at the car behind him... while riding a motorcycle through some farmer's market as baskets of fruits and vegetables go flying. It's just all such nonsense

LWP

Postby LWP » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 pm

^^^Yup. How about them racking the shotgun for emphasis even though they had just shot it? And no shell is ejected. Silly, and comical, and shows how little writers/directors know about guns. Yes, Nathan, it's just Hollywood. The .45LC will surely penetrate that table top, unless the story line prevents it. The good guy can always hit the bad guy on the other side of the door.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:49 pm

My favorite is the 100 round revolver.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:04 pm

It's just like the news. Completely fictional.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

StrangeBird1911

Postby StrangeBird1911 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:16 pm

How about this: concealment isn't as good as cover but it's better than standing out in the open to reload. Makes it a little harder for the bad guy to put a round on target.

And I'd rather take a round after it's gone through a table top than before.

ramjet

Postby ramjet » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:57 am

I dunno, I kinda like it. I mean as kids when you "shot" your buddy. You re-inacted the movies by flying backwards and landing over furniture and stuff.
Kahr P9
S&W 1911 stainless
Springfield Armory 1911 milspec
S&W 686 4in. stainless

Return to “CCW Tech”