why the glock

flymaker

why the glock

Postby flymaker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:22 pm

while this post is just my .02 on the perfect carry gun for me YMMV , I figured I'd throw it out there . I went to gander mountain tonight to pick up a new 3wt and 5wt line for 2 of my trout fly rods and while the wife was looking at the many areas of clearance winter clothing items ...I went and looked at a few carry gun options . First having sold my G17 IDPA gun I had cash to purchase a new carry and IDPA compact carry gun ...ie G23 or similar . Now that IDPA has a compact carry gun class I mainly shoot my G19 or G26 and carry as such . So I was looking outside my normal box so to speak . I looked at a Springfield XDS 4'' in 9mm and a S&W shield 9mm . I must say the XDS gets the nod at least from me over the S&W . So the XDS is a great gun and I would buy it but it just doesn't fit my hands . As we all know or should know grip is a major part in hand gun accuracy . The XDS just doesn't fit my hands . neither does the M&P single stack but the trigger sucked on it anyway and the XDS looks better built but neither have the after market support of the glocks . I guess I'm just a glocks guy , They fit my hands , do the job ,have major after market support ,easy to work on , don't need a gun smith or factory support .....Ok I guess my new gun will be a G23 and later add the .357 sig barrel . all my holster will fit , just need to buy a few extra .40 mags and .40 & .357 dies and start collecting brass . I normally do a few tricks to my glocks just as personal preference . stainless guide rod , Metal sights , Comp trigger spring and full internal polish as well as the light plunger spring . My G17 that I sold also had the 3.5 lbs disconnect , but only used it for IDPA never carried it .......Now wishing I wouldn't have sold it and changed out the disconnect back to stock and worked on a carry holster . while a like the 9mm for carry I think adding a .40 (g23) might be a good all around move . I've pulled my gun on a black bear fly fishing in W.Virgina once as well as a rutting buck and a stray German Shepard on my home rivers I've never had to shoot . The black bear moved away as I stepped back and the deer didn't like chasseing me around the large tree I hid behind . The shepherd well it took a warning shot to scare it off . I wouldn't mind something a tad bigger for my weekend get a way's nd colder weather for street bad guys ......Guess I'll continue down the road I can trust and just buy another glock . most likely the 23 but may consider the full size . I just love it when I can reach a reasonable choice ....... Once Glock always Glock.

yankeejib

Re: why the glock

Postby yankeejib » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:05 am

+1 G23 has never made me search any further for an "ideal" carry gun. I'll carry a Smith wheelie or my SP101 once in a while, and I like my Smith DASA semi's, but I feel weird not having my g23 where I expect it to be.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:12 pm

I get it. I totally get it. I purchase a lot of guns and love them all, but with each new acquisition over that last ten years or so, after the "new" wears off of the new gun I find myself going right back to my Glocks for daily carry. Last week I bought a new M&P 2.0 and overall its a dang good gun, yet today I'm carrying my G19. Last month or so I purchased a >$1,000 Sig Legion and I carried it around for a few weeks. It carries very good and shoots very good, but after the new wore off I went right back to my Glocks. A few weeks ago I purchased a Shield in .45 and it's an outstanding gun that is so easy to carry....yet today I'm carrying my G19. I'll continue searching for a better carry gun....there's a lot of thrill in the hunt....but nothing has replaced my Glocks for daily carry in over ten years. I remember well when they came out in the mid-80s; I absolutely loathed everything about them. There was no way in Hell I would ever replace my trusted 1911 or BHP for a plastic (imagine that!) gun with a really crappy grip angle.

gs.jpg
gs.jpg (108.32 KiB) Viewed 823 times

Some of my Glocks (and four Sheilds), not counting the one I was wearing, several more still new in the box as well as a G19 for each of my children.

In 2005 I went to pick up a Springfield TRP that I had ordered and as I was leaving the gun counter heading over to the cash register I saw what became my Glock 31. I don't know why, but on impulse I told the guy "I'll take that Glock, too" and that was the start of it. In 2006 I bought my wife a G19. Then I bought a 17. Then I bought a 23. Then I bought another 23. And so it went from there. Today I carry a G22 in cold weather with heavier clothing and a G23 or G19 in warmer weather.

hg.jpg
hg.jpg (70.84 KiB) Viewed 823 times

An even bigger testament to Glock is that I gave one to each of my children and each of my wives. I could have given them any gun in the world and with so many great choices out there, I gave them each a Glock 19.

....Glock-on! Image
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:30 pm

And everyone said Amen. I doubt if there will be another new handgun anytime soon that so much affects the market as the glock has
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:42 pm

I just scored a left-over Gen 3 Glock 22 with the RTF. I have a 23 in RTF and love it. Glock dropped the RTF because women and men with soft women hands couldn't handle the rough texture. For me it's ideal.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/624670481
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:42 am

I really need to get a 19. All these 33 round mags look silly hanging out of the 26.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:57 am

yankeejib wrote:I really need to get a 19.

Every man needs a 19.
Nathan in Image

lazyh

Postby lazyh » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Do you think 3 19's are too many?

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:28 pm

lazyh wrote:Do you think 3 19's are too many?

Wanna make a deal?
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:07 pm

lazyh wrote:Do you think 3 19's are too many?

Considering I must have ten of them in my home I'll say no.
Nathan in Image

Return to “CCW Tech”