Off duty officer is not armed during Vegas shooting

Stoble

Off duty officer is not armed during Vegas shooting

Postby Stoble » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:48 pm

An off duty officer in Las Vegas was not carrying a gun when the recent shooting event happened in Las Vegas. I heard from the news he was on his honeymoon. So here is another example where a person did not think he would need his concealed weapon, but of all times this guy really wanted to be armed when he heard the shooting begin. He was at a country bar owned by John Rich of the Big & Rich duo. He asked John Rich is he was armed and Rich said "yes". The gun was loaned to the officer who then guarded the front door. The officer supposedly said he was "always armed", but not this time. Yes, what timing!

samuelrp

Re: Off duty officer is not armed during Vegas shooting

Postby samuelrp » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Which brings up a questionn........would you give up your own weapon to someone else? I think not.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Stoble

Postby Stoble » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:37 am

Not my primary, but I might share my back-up. :-)

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Stoble wrote:Not my primary, but I might share my back-up. :-)

Yup...if bullets are flying, John Rambo ain't getting my primary.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm

Stoble wrote:An off duty officer in Las Vegas was not carrying a gun when the recent shooting event happened in Las Vegas. I heard from the news he was on his honeymoon. So here is another example where a person did not think he would need his concealed weapon, but of all times this guy really wanted to be armed when he heard the shooting begin. He was at a country bar owned by John Rich of the Big & Rich duo. He asked John Rich is he was armed and Rich said "yes". The gun was loaned to the officer who then guarded the front door. The officer supposedly said he was "always armed", but not this time. Yes, what timing!

Well to be realistic, this is one situation where being armed probably wouldn't have helped. This was case of a sniper raining death down upon a crowd from the 34th floor of a building. Not really sure how the Glock in your jeans is going to solve the problem unless you are actually on that 34th floor.

But I can understand his frustration and why he wasn't armed at the time. Taking a gun out of state is a real chore, even for a police officer. I try to take my gun with me every time I visit my parents in California, but it's such a hassle that if the trip is only a few days sometimes I won't bother. It's a real pain transporting a gun on an airplane and the chance of theft is a real possibility. I'm also always nervous concealed carrying in such a severely anti-gun state like California, even though as an active police officer I should be legally protected.

There are also all these dumb rules that can serve as legal traps. For example, the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act that permits cops to carry out of state only applies to guns. It doesn't apply to magazines, so state magazine limits still have to be obeyed. As such, I can only bring magazines to CA that can hold 10 rounds. Not hard, as I do have excellent CCW guns with 10 or below round magazines. But it's not something you'd realize just by looking at what the law says.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enfor ... Safety_Act

Stoble

Postby Stoble » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 pm

I think at the time those in the club just heard the shots and had no idea where they were coming from. Therefore, they wondered if this person or persons might come down the street and threaten them also. My reason for sharing this issue is how many people only carry when they think it is a higher risk situation they are going into. If you only carry when you think you may need it, you will probably have the need when you are without.

StrangeBird1911

Postby StrangeBird1911 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:01 am

Also worth thinking about the wisdom of carrying when out drinking. I like to be sober when I shoot.

Stoble

Postby Stoble » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:57 am

Good point. As a nondrinker I was not thinking about this. Thought he was getting a buzz from his new bride. :-)

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:45 am

Overall, I too am a non-drinker. I do enjoy a shot of apple whiskey on a cold winter night in front of a fire, but it's rare and I never drink when I'm out for reasons just like this.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:24 am

I'm also a non-drinker. I have absolutely no interest in deliberately putting myself into a condition of mental impairment, whether I'm armed or not.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:39 pm

Ohio9 wrote:I'm also a non-drinker. I have absolutely no interest in deliberately putting myself into a condition of mental impairment, whether I'm armed or not.

OK so at the risk of going off topic...

It's not even so much as seeking the mental impairment; when I do drink it's for the taste and the experience....this is so good that I'd drink a non-alcoholic version with the same enthusiasm. Try this:

Pull this from your freezer. Fill a 24 ounce glass (preferably one that has been kept in the freezer as well) with ice. Put in 2 ounces of Jim Beam Apple whiskey and pour in one twelve ounce can of Sprite (or Sprite Zero). Mix well (I blow in my straw a few times) because the whiskey is heavier than the Sprite and settles at the bottom fast.

You're welcome. Image
Nathan in Image

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:27 pm

Wow, never pictured Nate drinking cheerleader whiskey. What’s next Smirnoff ice?

Just kidding, kinda lol.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:39 pm

...try it. I used to say the same thing (sort of). If it's cold enough out, I take it straight. Otherwise I'll mix it to have with supper in front of a fire. It's great.
Nathan in Image

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:49 pm

I can’t do flavored whiskeys and rarely mix when I drink, which isn’t often anymore. If I’m going to drink it will be bourbon straight.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:00 pm

It's not really a flavored whiskey like most out there. This is bourbon (distinctly bourbon) with apple juice. I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't really that good. Give it a try, I bet you'll be as surprised as I was. It's the only alcoholic beverage I'll drink with food (but mixed with Sprite if consumed with food).

http://www.jimbeam.com/en-us/bourbons/apple
Nathan in Image

11bravo

Postby 11bravo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:37 pm

I’ve had it lol as well as crown Apple. It’s just a tad too sweet for me.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Well up to this point I have not found an alcoholic beverage that I didn't hate the taste of. It's made avoiding drinking alcohol quite easy.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:58 am

Ohio9 wrote:Well up to this point I have not found an alcoholic beverage that I didn't hate the taste of. It's made avoiding drinking alcohol quite easy.

Man I fully relate to that! That has kept me from drinking as well. If you follow my instructions listed above as listed (2 measured ounces of apple whiskey, 12 ounces of Sprite over ice in a chilled glass that's mixed up well because the liquor settles to the bottom fast) you'll be in for a real treat. It's a real nice experience and gives you a cozy warm feeling as it goes down without that bitter sharp bite of the alcohol. Try one, you'll thank me.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:58 am

...a friend (and member of this forum) put this on my timeline last night.
Nathan in Image

Return to “CCW Tech”