Visiting the doctor while armed

Ohio9

Visiting the doctor while armed

Postby Ohio9 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:46 am

Just found this article about a cop who got a nasty surprise when he went to his doctor while armed. Let's give some credit to Plymouth Police Chief Charles Doan for pointing out that both cops and CCW holders should not be denied treatment just because they have a gun on them

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/sto ... /25688439/

Doctor's visits are really inconvenient for CCW holders because they often require you to reveal that you're are packing. Before I was really dedicated to carrying everywhere, I would usually leave the gun in the car. Now I do take it in, and so far it hasn't caused any problems. Whenever there is a point where I have to expose my carry gun, I just show my police badge first and that has always resolved the issue with no questions asked. Would my CCW permit have the same effect? I can't say, but I certainly hope so.

How do you guys handle doctor's visits.

cola490

Re: Visiting the doctor while armed

Postby cola490 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Here in Illinois, if your doctors office is in a hospital or a building operated by a hospital you cannot carry inside. The parking lots are safe havens, you can either leave your loaded gun in a container ( glove box is ok ) in the locked vehicle or unload inside the vehicle and put the gun in the trunk.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:33 pm

A badge is going to get you a lot more understanding, than someone showing a CCW permit. The doctor will have to get his glasses out, and while he's squinting to read it, say "what's this supposed to mean"? Honestly, for doctor office carry, using a hollowed out day planner with your gun inside it is probably best.

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Pocket carry with a holster. If i expect to have to remove my pants, I pocket carry in a holster with a retention strap. I dont let my clothing get out of my reach. So far zero problems.

If i carried larger, id use a safepacker or similar.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:01 pm

You need pro gun Drs. Don't think most care about a permit.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:50 pm

Why carry a gun to a doctor's visit - I was at the dentist and some SWAT fruitcake was parading around with his gun, I quickly left

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:24 pm

I carry at the dentist office without any problems but the facility where my doctor has his office is a no carry zone. My doctor however is a shooting buddy and just plain good dude.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Gunsmith wrote:Why carry a gun to a doctor's visit

The same reason we carry anywhere else.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:47 pm

Ohio9 wrote:

Everywhere else isn't dropping your drawers. I don't carry at the dentist because I have a distinct distaste for dentists. That goes for lawyers and cops. Someone maybe carrying, but I don't want to see it.

Ohio9

Postby Ohio9 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:01 pm

Gunsmith wrote:I don't carry at the dentist because I have a distinct distaste for dentists.

While I certainly don't enjoy a trip to the dentist, I have never had any problems carrying there. It's not like my gun is pressed against my face or something. The place they focus on is far away from where my gun is.

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Gunsmith wrote:
Ohio9 wrote:

Everywhere else isn't dropping your drawers. I don't carry at the dentist because I have a distinct distaste for dentists. That goes for lawyers and cops. Someone maybe carrying, but I don't want to see it.

I have to drop my pants to shit, too. Im not going to walk around unarmed on the slim chance that an md will notice a heavier than wallet lump in my clothing. If he does and wants to be a giant pussy about it, i can find a new md.

Concealed means concealed.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:49 pm

Never had a problem carrying a gun at the dentist.

Doctors, on the other hand, I never visit, for the simple fact that I don't eat processed food or meat, don't take in large amounts of sodium, don't drink soda or alcohol, don't drink fluoridated water, don't waste life-energy by masturbating, don't smoke or use drugs, don't take vaccines or medications, don't fry myself with microwave, WiFi, Bluetooth or cell phone radiation and don't let myself get stressed out by watching TV or following mainstream media, and regularly detox to get rid of all the strontium-90, atomized aluminum, barium and Fukishima-irradiated particles floating around in the atmosphere. That keeps me fairly MD-free, so I have no idea what carrying a gun at a doctor's is like. Hopefully it stays that way.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

LWP

Postby LWP » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:35 pm

Mr. Hand, I partake with gusto most of what you mentioned (excepting smoke, drugs, and medications), and I am doctor-free also. Approaching age 70 and healthy all my life. The human animal does not require coddling.

On topic: At my annual checkup, I have no hesitation to carry my concealed weapon. Undressing, if necessary, is in private. If my weapon was ever noticed during a physical exam, it was not mentioned by either doctor or nurse.

Are my two statements contradictory? No. Medicare requires an annual exam. I don't need it, but who knows, they might find something some day. Before medicare I didn't have a doctor, or medical insurance.

BULLDOG

Postby BULLDOG » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:00 am

I solved this problem easy.? Because I am at different Doctors' office visits at times.? & some Tests are done in a Medical Building.? I use a ( Man Purse) or my Safepacker.? With the shoulder strap.? This works Nice & is perfect,? For not revealing that you are packing any kind of a weapon.? " WORKS FOR ME." LWP Thank the Lord @ 70 your still in good health.? The Golden Years.? The only thing Golden is my Urine Specimen.? :D

BULLDOG

Postby BULLDOG » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:16 am

I read somewhere shortly.? That some Doctors or their Staff.? Must now ask,? If you own any Firearms.? My doctor or his staff never asked me this.? If they ever did I would deny ever having any firearms any more,? but did years ago.? Nice BS story to tell them.? I also read that the Govt. wants to take guns away from Senior citizens.? who can no longer care for themselves etc.?

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:24 pm

BULLDOG wrote:I also read that the Govt. wants to take guns away from Senior citizens.? who can no longer care for themselves etc.?

My understanding is that they are trying to expand the definition of what constitutes mental incompetency to include those elderly who have decided to let someone else handle their financial affairs. The fact that these government parasites are trying to disarm elderly members of society, who are frequently victims of violent crime, shows them for the scum they are. Seriously... when was the last time an octogenarian robbed a 7/11 at gunpoint?
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:45 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:Never had a problem carrying a gun at the dentist.

Doctors, on the other hand, I never visit, for the simple fact that I don't eat processed food or meat, don't take in large amounts of sodium, don't drink soda or alcohol, don't drink fluoridated water, don't waste life-energy by masturbating, don't smoke or use drugs, don't take vaccines or medications, don't fry myself with microwave, WiFi, Bluetooth or cell phone radiation and don't let myself get stressed out by watching TV or following mainstream media, and regularly detox to get rid of all the strontium-90, atomized aluminum, barium and Fukishima-irradiated particles floating around in the atmosphere. That keeps me fairly MD-free, so I have no idea what carrying a gun at a doctor's is like. Hopefully it stays that way.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna take a doctor to remove that pole that's up your ass lol ;)

1911junkie

Postby 1911junkie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:41 am

Went to the dermatologist a while back, with my shirt off he noticed my empty Don Hume JIT Slide holster on my belt. He said in the future, its OK to pack in his office. After some conversation with his assistant I came to find out that her and everyone in his office carried on a daily basis.

My dentist has no problem with me packing.

I don't trust my PCP enough to make it known that I tote in his office. I use a pocket holster in those instances. He strikes me as a real chickenshit type, no sense in riling him up. OTOH, he does not post a sign so........
I do not trust any person that has a dislike for dogs - I have complete trust in a dog having a dislike for any person.

Return to “CCW Tech”