Sig P365 is a winner

Tye

Sig P365 is a winner

Post by Tye » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Purchased at the beginning of the year as a "backup" pocket 9mm to my tried and true Beretta Nano. 10+1 vs. 6+1 - smaller size I couldn't resist. Liking the long DA Revolver-like pull of the Nano, I was skeptical since the Sig's trigger is much lighter/smoother. I don't feel unsafe in the least with a pocket holstered P365 and I must admit that it shoots VERY accurately in my hands. I had the pleasure of breaking ice chunks at 60 yards away and DO like the tritium sights (I can hardly see the sights on my only other tritium sighted gun, a 1911 when at my lighted indoor range). I stick with the flush mount 10 round mags -- never had a problem with a 2 finger grip.

Although I purchased the P365 for pocket carry, I'm seriously considering getting an OWB holster as well. Even though I've had my hips replaced, I don't think that I'll give IWB a try again as my dress habits have evolved to either OWB, pocket or bellyband under armpit for most situations.

I know that Sig had some reported problems with the initial release of this arm, but I do believe that they have been hashed out by now. IMHO, the P365 is a winner!

BR,

Tye

JamesCC

Re: Sig P365 is a winner

Post by JamesCC » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Too bad there wasn’t a video Of the ice chunks breaking open!

Tye

Post by Tye » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:39 pm

OK, not sure what you are envisioning, but not ice CUBES for a beverage, more like sheets of ice. Think frozen flood plane, then the water below the iced over surface perculates into the ground. Sheets of ice hung up on trees, fallen branches, etc. At 60 yards, I was easilly hitting 3" thick sheets of ice perhaps 2 x 3 ft. And larger. It did look cool seeing them "crumble, callapse, implode" I don't often shoot pistols at that distance, so I was impressed. I'll try to upload the go pro video later, NOT.

deadguy

Post by deadguy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:16 am

I picked up a 365 a few weeks ago and have been pleased with it so far. Pocket carry for me.

Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:57 pm

deadguy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:16 am
Pocket carry for me.
The older I get, the more appealing pocket carry becomes.
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Post by Ohio9 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:01 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:57 pm
deadguy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:16 am
Pocket carry for me.
The older I get, the more appealing pocket carry becomes.
Same here. It's just so convenient to throw a gun in the pocket and not have to deal with the discomfort of metal grinding against your hip.

Still pocket carry does have a lot of disadvantages. Unless you got some very big pockets, it's generally impractical for all but the smallest guns. I've found even most subcompact guns can't be carried effectively in a pocket. Also draw can be slow and cumbersome, and it can be very difficult to draw from a seated position.

Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:09 pm

Ohio9 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:01 pm
Unless you got some very big pockets, it's generally impractical for all but the smallest guns. I've found even most subcompact guns can't be carried effectively in a pocket.
I agree complete. As I said in my Carry Guide: "The first thing to learn (which will be demonstrated later) is that in regards to concealed carry, everything is a compromise. You sacrifice caliber for capacity or overall size, features for cost, sight radius for concealability, etc. Get used to this concept now as it will be a factor in every decision you make from this point.". Everything, every feature and aspect is a compromise of something else.* The only truly effective pocket gun I've ever found is the J-Frame S&W five shot revolver in .357 Magnum. It's a handful to shoot full power loads from such a light gun with a small grip, but you have five rounds of .357 Magnum in a gun that carries and draws well from a pocket, all things considered. Don't buy into the internet garbage that .357 loses too much velocity to be more effective than .38 Special from such a short barrel; my chronograph still shows considerable differences. I'd rather have 180 grain .357 Magnum from a 2" barrel than a 158 grain .38 Special from a 6" barrel. I only own and wear blue jeans and I don't wear them tight or particularly loose and have no real issue with the J-Frame. I've tried every automatic made and have yet to find one with a solid purchase or easy draw from the pocket.
As you said however, drawing anything while seated is difficult to impossible.

* - Unless Glock were to release a 10mm with identical external dimensions as the G19; that would be the perfect carry gun (although still too big for a pocket).
Nathan in Image

Ohio9

Post by Ohio9 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:00 pm

I've found I can pocket carry my XDS 9mm fairly effectively. Kahr guns are also excellent for pocket carry.

Also pocket carry + a backup gun in an ankle holster is a great combination. The ankle gun is for when you are sitting down and the pocket gun for when you are standing up. You could even use the exact same type of gun for both of them if you have two.