Carry options and aging

Holster options and comparisons.
Nathan
Site Admin

Carry options and aging

Postby Nathan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:55 am

I find the older that I get the more I gravitate toward OWB carry even though it requires additional effort to dress around. I either pocket carry for deep carry, or OWB carry only. Despite a considerable investment in top shelf IWB leather, I just don't use it anymore. Too inconvenient anymore.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Pickwick

Re: Carry options and aging

Postby Pickwick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:09 am

I'm not really sure what you mean…I carry a double clip--clip-on IWB for my BHP and can't tell the difference between it and an OWB except for placement. I like OWB, too, but only for winter when I can wear a jacket.

lazyh

Postby lazyh » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:18 am

I carry OWB. I am 65 years old and past the point that I care about looking as sharp as I used to think I looked. I wear long sleeve t shirts in the winter and short in the summer and this works just fine for me.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:45 am

Pickwick wrote:I'm not really sure what you mean
I find IWB more and more uncomfortable and have grown to prefer wearing additional clothing to dress around OWB carry instead.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:57 am

I live in Florida, and the rage here is pocket guns.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:04 pm

At 64 my body Is not the shape it was. Not bad but not what it was. OWB is more comfortable to me too although I'm still IWB with the sheild.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Yeah, IWB really stinks. It's OK if you're standing and not moving around much, but sitting in a car for longer than a short drive? Forget about it. Moving around a lot? Forget about that. You have to tighten your belt way too much to keep it from sagging, and that's with a stiff gun belt too.

I love front pocket carry. Owb can be good too

riadat

Postby riadat » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:54 pm

I agree 100% with this post. I either pocket carry my .38 snub or owb my k-frame.

IWB was NEVER comfortable and I don't do it.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:19 pm

Individual thing. IWB has always been comfortable to me. I have a nice leather clip on from Bullard Leather in Texas, Hardly know it is there. I'm 6'3,200 lbs., 65 yrs. old, and cycle and work out all the time.

jjinsc

Postby jjinsc » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:17 pm

I have been gravitating that way too. I still, however, do carry IWB some. Mostly pocket in the summer and since I received a nice Columbia fleece vest for Christmas, I have been carry OWB mostly this winter so far.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Pickwick wrote:Individual thing. IWB has always been comfortable to me. I have a nice leather clip on from Bullard Leather in Texas, Hardly know it is there. I'm 6'3,200 lbs., 65 yrs. old, and cycle and work out all the time.

At your height and weight, you're probably the one exception where iwb would work comfortably

LWP

Rant warning

Postby LWP » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:43 pm

Comfort during IWB carry is achieved by the proper combination of weapon slimness, size, weight, and holster. This forum, and in particular Nathan 4 years ago, was a strong proponent of slim concealable weapons. Now the trend here seems to be more power, bigger mags, and eye candy. These weapons are fatter and heavier, consequently less comfortable and more difficult to conceal. Next I'll read that your Special Mag XL is best worn OC because it is impossible to conceal. Is this still concealedcarryforum or is it changing to handcannonadvice? If you expect trouble, take a rifle.

Brickkicker

Postby Brickkicker » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:47 am

I have never found IWB comfortable. After some searching, I found a Python PH2 packing heat pouch for my Kahr MK9 that also holds a spare mag. It is ballistic nylon and looks just like a PDA case. I wear it year-round and love it.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:09 am

MisterB wrote:
Pickwick wrote:Individual thing. IWB has always been comfortable to me. I have a nice leather clip on from Bullard Leather in Texas, Hardly know it is there. I'm 6'3,200 lbs., 65 yrs. old, and cycle and work out all the time.

At your height and weight, you're probably the one exception where iwb would work comfortably

Well, I am getting educated. I never realized that IWB was so uncomfortable for so many folks. I have always thought that a shoulder holster would be a great way to carry but, in many cases it is too impractical. I still want to try one.

Pickwick

Re: Rant warning

Postby Pickwick » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:12 am

LWP wrote:Comfort during IWB carry is achieved by the proper combination of weapon slimness, size, weight, and holster. This forum, and in particular Nathan 4 years ago, was a strong proponent of slim concealable weapons. Now the trend here seems to be more power, bigger mags, and eye candy. These weapons are fatter and heavier, consequently less comfortable and more difficult to conceal. Next I'll read that your Special Mag XL is best worn OC because it is impossible to conceal. Is this still concealedcarryforum or is it changing to handcannonadvice? If you expect trouble, take a rifle.

I agree about the love affair with fat, plastic, eye candy. I have never understood it. I carry either a Colt Series 70 1911 or a BHP Standard 9 MM when I want high cap.. These have always been my primary carry and always will be. I do carry a revolver on occasion, and may hold my nose and buy some plastic to carry while cycling.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:14 am

LWP wrote:This forum, and in particular Nathan 4 years ago, was a strong proponent of slim concealable weapons.
While I still support this, noting the change is also my point in the original post. As I age I'm finding that I graduate further and further away from IWB and prefer OWB. I prefer slim weapons so that they can be carried IWB a an option, I just find that I use the IWB option less and less. The Browning Hi-Power is the only double stack I've found that can be carried IWB with equal ease of a single stack, but anymore I even carry my single stacks OWB. I don't know if this is related to age, experience or something else but I'm observing a change in my own preferences.
Nathan in Image

jjinsc

Postby jjinsc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:05 pm

I don't find IWB that uncomfortable. I am just finding that OWB is more comfortable and really isn't that much harder or practical to conceal. I think this may be a normal evolution as you become a more experienced CCer. Also as you become older you start looking for more practical comfort. It's just a natural progression.

cola490

Postby cola490 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:39 pm

I think in my case it is more about experience with CC'ing, being from Illinois, I have been carrying for almost a year. When we first started the big concern was printing, so IWB was the logical way to go. Now with more time and getting comfortable I have found that OWB is the way to go for me. In the winter, which can last 8 or 9 months concealing is no problem. In the summer with a loose shirt and the right holster, again no problem. I have the famous box of holsters, some expensive, some cheap, but a good pancake holster, Kydex or leather works.

riadat

Postby riadat » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:05 pm

LWP wrote:Comfort during IWB carry is achieved by the proper combination of weapon slimness, size, weight, and holster. This forum, and in particular Nathan 4 years ago, was a strong proponent of slim concealable weapons. Now the trend here seems to be more power, bigger mags, and eye candy. These weapons are fatter and heavier, consequently less comfortable and more difficult to conceal. Next I'll read that your Special Mag XL is best worn OC because it is impossible to conceal. Is this still concealedcarryforum or is it changing to handcannonadvice? If you expect trouble, take a rifle.

If I expect trouble I won't go. Being home by 10 pm is the number one way not to need your gun.

Your point about the rifle is well taken though.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:47 pm

jjinsc wrote:I don't find IWB that uncomfortable. I am just finding that OWB is more comfortable and really isn't that much harder or practical to conceal. I think this may be a normal evolution as you become a more experienced CCer. Also as you become older you start looking for more practical comfort. It's just a natural progression.

Uh, oh. Are these next?

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:01 pm

MisterB wrote:Image
...I bought a pair of those six years ago (I'm pretty sure one of my wives threw them out without telling me) and my kids still tease me about them! :D
Nathan in Image

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Well I'm 58 and almost 59 years old and in great shape. Fat and round is a great shape :D but I've only carried IWB under my bibs for as long as I can remember carrying. I think the most important part of your kit is the belt. I very high quality stitched double thickness 1 1/2" leather that for me even acts as back support. I never pull my handgun out when I drive as it is such a part of me that I don't notice the extra weight. Even though it's a full sized 1911 10mm. You can't just get by with the cheap crap. Aside from the good belt a quality holster is very important. I carried the Crossbreed holster for several years but when I went from the Kimber Ultra Carry II to the Delta Elite full size stainless steel 10mm I decided I couldn't in good conscience carry that kind of 1911 with a hybrid holster. So with your group recommendations for the Milt Sparks VM2 and I love it. With it on my right hip and two magazine leather holder on my left, just far enough forward so they do not bother me at all. Also with the bibs I don't have to worry about screwing it up and leaving my gun next to the crapper at the local stop and shit because I had to take it out to use the rest room. With the bib overall rig everything stays put just like when I drive, walk or work. So as far as aging the bib overall rig just looks like it goes with my age and occupation. :)<

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:31 pm

Nathan wrote:
...I bought a pair of those six years ago (I'm pretty sure one of my wives threw them out without telling me) and my kids still tease me about them! :D

Oh my god, man. That's hilarious

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:26 am

Nathan wrote:

Now, that's funny! :D Nathan, I wouldn't have told that... :lol:

LWP

Postby LWP » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Nathan wrote:...The Browning Hi-Power is the only double stack I've found that can be carried IWB with equal ease of a single stack, but anymore I even carry my single stacks OWB. I don't know if this is related to age, experience or something else but I'm observing a change in my own preferences.

Cannot argue against personal preference. What about your new Browning BDM? Similar weight and shape as your BHP, but slimmer. I think it is magical how they got a 15-round double stack mag into a grip only 1" thick. Why don't other makers do this? My BDM conceals as well as my PPS, in the same Crossbreed holster, but I don't like the extra weight for full time carry.

Return to “Holster Tech”