Carry options and aging

Holster options and comparisons.
Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Rant warning

Postby Nathan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:18 pm

LWP wrote:What about your new Browning BDM?
I don't yet have a holster for my BDM, but expect very similar results as yours. They really did do a great job shoving lots of cartridges into a grip that my small hands fit perfectly.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Tye

Re: Carry options and aging

Postby Tye » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:44 am

I agree 100% with the original post. If I can't OWB carry, I opt for pocket carry of the NANO or occasionally Belly Band a compact or full size arm (usually under cross-draw armpit).

I guess I have become more "fashionable" recently discovering the over sweater that covers OWB nicely. Even with a shirt & tie, the sweater serves as the outer garb.

Early CC experimentation led to my dismissal outright of a variety of "tuckable" holsters, that never seemed to work for me. I also couldn't stand the crossbreed, kingtuck, etc. style of IWB holsters -- the damned holster being twice the size of the firearm -- a pain to get on correctly, at least for me.

I like my OWB Don Hume, but after purchasing Galco's "Concealable" for a couple of full size pistols, think it to be a superior design. The full size pistols don't get as much CC rotation, but they still hide well under the "fashionable" sweater. The Concealable cants the pistol slightly forward and is designed to hug the body more than Hume's Open Top. One doesn't need to tighten the belt as much with this rig. Even though open top, retention is solid. It would be very difficult for someone to yank it out the holster from behind -- a concern of those who advised me on the original forum about an Open Carry rig. I originally went the Galco Concealable for Open Carry duty, but I've discovered it really is "concealable" under the sweater, long loose shirt, etc.

YMMV
Best regards,

Tye

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:57 am

Any of you guys carry in shoulder rig? It looks ideal for certain situations, but I noticed when drawing and firing from a friend's I tended to over track the target a bit. Having to re-adjust my aim before firing. Coming straight up and straight out from IWB or OWB is more natural. But, I could train myself to draw from one.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:15 am

Pickwick wrote:Any of you guys carry in shoulder rig?

Only when my friends and I get together to play Miami Vice. 8)

In all seriousness, I do own a couple shoulder rigs but rarely ever use them unless I'm driving on a long trip.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Back in the late 1970s I carried via a Bianchi rig that I made some modifications so the lower part of it would attach to my belt and give a more firm position to draw from. In Washington state it was quite handy because I could wear a light jacket for a good part of the year. Also the rig worked great with the Ruger 357 Security Six (I think) and then I switched to 1911's when John Lawson built me a Commander and full size .45 ACP. Here in OKlahoma its too hot for too much of the year to get away with it. It really doesn't matter anyway because I carry with the Milt Sparks VM2 rig no matter what. The shoulder rig just does not suit my needs anymore.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Aging affects long arms too. As I get older I want a lighter shotgun to carry all morning, and a lighter rifle in the stand. Squirrel hunting last week I carried an old Remmington single shot with no scope, very accurate and light as a feather, I can carry it all day with absolutely no strain.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:17 pm

HK45cT carried in a Galco Miami Classic II (horizontal magazine pouches).
Nathan in Image

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:14 am

Nathan wrote:

HK45cT carried in a Galco Miami Classic II (horizontal magazine pouches).

Who is that handsome sumbitch with the Big Horn Sheep standing on his head? :D

Renigeid

Postby Renigeid » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:48 pm

Come on now fellows............I am 79 years old, six feet tall, weigh 175 pounds and carry ALL the time. When I must go to a high crime area, like Chatt, Tn, I carry my G22 inside my pants, either a Galco Summer or a King Tuk, with enough 357 Sig rounds to feel fairly safe. A good belt and a good pair of suspenders work for me. When on the farm working around the place I usually carry owb, a 357 snub or a 38 spl snub.

Some times I do carry my Khar P9 in an Aliengear inside the pants. Very comfortable rig I must add.

Jim

i12flytoday

Postby i12flytoday » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:26 pm

I wonder if their is a market in an OWB holster that is disguised as something like a tool pouch for the lower parts that stick out from a short jacket.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:23 pm

i12flytoday wrote:I wonder if their is a market in an OWB holster that is disguised as something like a tool pouch for the lower parts that stick out from a short jacket.

Nathan had a good write-up on something he used called Safepacker. Unfortunately the link is now lost in cyberspace, but I'm sure something on it will show up here. It seemed to fit the bill perfectly for what you're talking about.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

riadat

Postby riadat » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Renigeid wrote:Come on now fellows............I am 79 years old, six feet tall, weigh 175 pounds and carry ALL the time. When I must go to a high crime area, like Chatt, Tn, I carry my G22 inside my pants, either a Galco Summer or a King Tuk, with enough 357 Sig rounds to feel fairly safe. A good belt and a good pair of suspenders work for me. When on the farm working around the place I usually carry owb, a 357 snub or a 38 spl snub.

Some times I do carry my Khar P9 in an Aliengear inside the pants. Very comfortable rig I must add.

Jim

Well I''m 5 9 and 210 and only 46. So basically I'm fat, not particularly old, and lazy. But I can't stand iwb.

i12flytoday

Postby i12flytoday » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:52 am

Hand and Steel wrote:
i12flytoday wrote:I wonder if their is a market in an OWB holster that is disguised as something like a tool pouch for the lower parts that stick out from a short jacket.

Nathan had a good write-up on something he used called Safepacker. Unfortunately the link is now lost in cyberspace, but I'm sure something on it will show up here. It seemed to fit the bill perfectly for what you're talking about.

I am familiar with the safepacker and I remember Nathan's review well. It seems awfully cumbersome to me, but not useless.

BULLDOG

Postby BULLDOG » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:30 pm

My favorite comfortable pair of Shoes guys.? At 70 Yrs Old I had lower back surgery 2 Yrs ago,? That still is not good.Plus a Fall on my ass on the ice a few weeks ago,? Did not help the back at all.? I haven't worn any IWB,? or OWB.? Holsters for a while now.? My EDC is limited to either my CA Bulldog 44 Spcl Stub Nose,? Or at times my full size 1911 Gun.I use my Safepacker Holster in my car.? And the Shoulder Strap with it.? When walking etc. It serves me well.? Till I am feeling better,? To start using the other holsters again.? It's bad enough reaching " The Golden Years.?"But to have injuries on top of it Stinks.? But I guess it beats the Alternative.? B(

BULLDOG

Postby BULLDOG » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:20 pm

I am 73.? Had back surgery 3 yrs ago.? That was a Failure with a lot of pain.? Now it's hard for me to carry on my belt.? Iv'e gone to a Shoulder type ( Man Bag) which is more comfortable for me to carry with Every Day.? I also use a Shoulder Holster.? At times which also is comfortable.? Hopefully in the near future.? I will be back to caring on my belt holsters once again.?

JeffG

Postby JeffG » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Nathan,
I agree with you that OWB is much more comfortable, I find though on long car rides IWB or OWB still is painful. In your Carry Guide you recommended the Sky Cop Cross Draw.

Do you still like this holster for car carry?

Return to “Holster Tech”