Western gun belt

Holster options and comparisons.
Nathan
Site Admin

Western gun belt

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:22 pm

I'm discussing options for having a western gun belt made. When inquiring about making one for a 1911 I get unexpected responses of shock. Is a western gun belt for an auto-loader really some form of sacrilege?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Re: Western gun belt

Postby hkguy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:00 pm

pretty much, what ever you were on when you dreamed this up, i'll take two! western gun belts and semi-auto are non-compatible terms.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:11 pm

I've seen a few vintage examples of western style belts and holsters for automatics, usually 1911s. Seems they were not too unpopular with some of the last of the cowboys and old time lawmen. Some individuals even carried 1911s in such a manner up into the 50s. Honestly I can't see why anyone would be shocked, unless they just don't know their history.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:33 pm

These guys that get all shocked, apparently have forgotten the holster and belt that were designed for the 1911. (yes, there was a shoulder type holster too)

Looks very similar in design to the old West holsters, doesn't it? The soldier wore a separate belt to hold up their pants, and the gun belt was worn in addition, tilted strong side, with a leather holster. Instead of bullets being inserted separately in loops, there was a mag pouch, and then of course this holster design has a flap cover, but over all it is very similar in design to what you're looking for, so these guys shouldn't be at all shocked. It's a great design

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:36 pm

I bet D M Bullard will make you one.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:34 pm

MisterB wrote:These guys that get all shocked, apparently have forgotten the holster and belt that were designed for the 1911. (yes, there was a shoulder type holster too)

Looks very similar in design to the old West holsters, doesn't it? The soldier wore a separate belt to hold up their pants, and the gun belt was worn in addition, tilted strong side, with a leather holster. Instead of bullets being inserted separately in loops, there was a mag pouch, and then of course this holster design has a flap cover, but over all it is very similar in design to what you're looking for, so these guys shouldn't be at all shocked. It's a great design

the drop leg holster is not a new design, however its is not of the western style, its about as simular as a honda civic is to a corvette. they have the same general look but are vastly different.
Image[

IDPA & USPSA Member

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:25 am

hkguy wrote:
MisterB wrote:These guys that get all shocked, apparently have forgotten the holster and belt that were designed for the 1911. (yes, there was a shoulder type holster too)

the drop leg holster is not a new design, however its is not of the western style, its about as simular as a honda civic is to a corvette. they have the same general look but are vastly different.
Image[

The picture I posted is not of a dropleg holster. I own an original setup from WWII for my 1911 identical to the one in the picture

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:35 am

Cochise Leather apparently already has one, just not quite what I'm looking for. Certainly closer than I was before.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:57 am

Try this: http://thelastbestwest.com/shop/custom- ... e-holster/

also, look through these images to see if you find something you like, then click the image to view the web site
https://www.google.com/search?q=1911+we ... rRNhzuM%3A

LWP

Postby LWP » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:52 am

I see a road trip to AZ in your future. Be sure to have them cover the trigger.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:30 am

MisterB wrote:
The picture I posted is not of a dropleg holster. I own an original setup from WWII for my 1911 identical to the one in the picture

either way, its not not the western style holster nathan seeks.
IDPA & USPSA Member

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:14 am

hkguy wrote:
MisterB wrote:

either way, its not not the western style holster nathan seeks.

You're missing the point. He said people were surprised that someone would want to carry a 1911 in a western style holster, and I was saying they shouldn't be, because the original holster the military designed to carry the 1911 is very similar in design to the western holster. :roll:

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:48 am

El Paso Saddlery makes western style .45 holsters. And gun belts. I highly suspect what you desire can be either pieced together from their available inventory. Or maybe you can get them to take the next step.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/default.aspx

Return to “Holster Tech”