Urban Carry

Holster options and comparisons.
Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Urban Carry

Postby Nathan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:54 pm

samuelrp wrote:You guys are not convincing me to order one.

It's one of things that's probably not for everybody, but for me I think it's a great option to have. When I'm not wearing a Glock on my hip I don't have to synch my belt as tight to keep my pants up making for a more efficient draw. I'll stick with OWB for primary carry with a J-Frame in my pocket, but for when deep carry is necessary this one will work out great. If I worked a "regular job" where carry was prohibited I would wear this daily.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

jjinsc

Postby jjinsc » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:05 am

Nathan,

Keep us posted as you use this on how it is working out.

mpgo4th

Postby mpgo4th » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:58 am

"If I worked a "regular job" where carry was prohibited I would wear this daily."

That's what I needed to here. Mine was ordered on the 27th of December. Can't wait to try it out in my rotation.

Eric_in_FL

Postby Eric_in_FL » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:05 am

Sorry guys I left for NC mountains right after I received mine and left my PPS in it and some Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner rubbed into it and haven't done any testing/wearing yet.

mpgo4th

Postby mpgo4th » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:53 am

What the crap!! I'm in VA and this holster maker is in FLORIDA. I ordered on the 27th of December and got an email yesterday that my order had shipped. I thought that was great turn around time because they are back ordered and quoted me 5-15 days at time of checkout. But this morning I ran the FedEx tracking number and they said expected delivery 1/15. 9 days to ship something up the east coast? USPS would be here in two days for half of what I paid in shipping. I know it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things but I'm worse than a kid when it comes to waiting. Besides, my Kahr 40 needs a place to ride.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:48 am

That's what I respect most from a company. Next day shipping, and receive product in 3 days at the most. That and competent packaging
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

mpgo4th

Postby mpgo4th » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:39 am

I'm ok with the company's shipping time. What blows my mind is the time fedex is quoting to get it here.

mpgo4th

Postby mpgo4th » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:41 am

Got it, tried it, traded it off to someone else. Wanted badly for it to work for me but it looks as though pocket carry is my best option. Back to my remora.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:57 am

With the warmer weather ahead, I'm finding myself once again in need of another good option for deep concealment - this isn't going to be my primary means of carrying, just for when I'm working a side job, so I'm willing to deal with slightly lower presentation time, but I'd like the opinions of those who have tried this method before I order one.

I'll be carrying either a Hi-Power or an Arcus, possibly one with a 4" barrel. No button up shirts or jackets - just a t-shirt for cover. I'm a skinny guy with about a 29" waist, so I don't have much in the way of fat for the gun to push against. Does it sound like I'm asking a bit much in terms of concealment, or is this likely the best option? And does the Urban Carry holster provide much in the way of protection against sweat getting on the gun?
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

LWP

Postby LWP » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:57 am

Since you are talking about concealment on a concealed carry forum, you might be sane. But because you are contemplating, stubbornly, carrying pistols not designed or considered to be concealable, I have my doubts. Firearm security is a panopoly of compromises involving weather, clothing, activity, holster, and weapon. Weapon size is the first factor to be considered, and small and slim makes the other choices much easier. This forum used to talk a great deal about skill with CONCEALABLE weapons, now the emphasis is on firepower or eye candy.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:32 pm

I wouldn't consider an Urban Carry for a service size weapon no matter what they claim. In fact, over time I've found that I have very little use for it with a sub-compact. It's nice to have the option, but I have to exhaust every other possible option before I utilize this one. It's a neat novelty at first but over time it becomes just another issue to the holster box.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:03 pm

Numero uno will always be Milt Sparks Versa Max II I suppose. Most of the other holsters are almost as good, so so, or worse, crap in comparison.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Right now I can see three decent options for the kind of deep concealment I'm talking about. Note that I'll still have a full size 9x19 on the premises as well, just perhaps not on my person all the time while working.

1) Polish P64 9x18mm semi-auto. 6 shot magazine, DA to SA, small and flat enough to fit in a pocket, could also be appendix carried very easily. I'm not wild about the low power and capacity, but it beats nothing, and I've had very good results with east European guns in general. I also already keep plenty of 9x18 on hand.

2) Ruger SP101 .357 with 2" barrel. The bobbed hammer version could potentially work for appendix carry with a low profile holster. Everyone familiar with common carry revolvers knows how overbuilt these guns are and their famed durability is definitely a plus, but I'm not liking the idea of having to stock up on a different caliber.

3) Taurus 905 9mm revolver, 5 shot, 2" barrel. Slightly smaller than the SP101, so it would probably be even better for appendix carry. The idea of a 9x19mm revolver is attractive, as that's the caliber I'm most stocked up on as far as pistols go, and it would have commonality of ammo with my primary carry pistol. While these revolvers do seem to get generally good reviews, I'm not particularly interested in going the Taurus route. I've had very good results with my PT 92s, but they seem to be the exception, and not the rule when it comes to Taurus.

I'm open to suggestions for a deep concealment gun, but I do prefer to stick with something made out of metal, preferably steel. Any suggestions?
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Return to “Holster Tech”