Appendix carry

Holster options and comparisons.
Nathan
Site Admin

Appendix carry

Postby Nathan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:55 pm

Appendix carry seems to be the latest craze. Anybody carry like this and care to debate it?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: Appendix carry

Postby MisterB » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:06 pm

Seems to only work for guys that are really skinny.... Or guys who never sit down lol. Plus, you would have to feel comfortable with a gun pointed at your crotch all day. No thanks

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:16 pm

My thoughts exactly. The only benefit I can see is the speed but I don't find it very comfortable (my belly) or comforting (for pointing at my junk). I did order an Urban Carry and look forward to trying it with my Shield. I don't like it when I try it with my current IWB holsters but wonder if that is due to the 15 degree cant. Maybe I'm just too fat for it?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:43 pm

Nathan wrote:My thoughts exactly. The only benefit I can see is the speed but I don't find it very comfortable (my belly) or comforting (for pointing at my junk). I did order an Urban Carry and look forward to trying it with my Shield. I don't like it when I try it with my current IWB holsters but wonder if that is due to the 15 degree cant. Maybe I'm just too fat for it?

If you buy some old high waist jeans, like the guys wore on Seinfeld in the early 90's, you might be able to do it lol.

That said, carrying a holster appendix that has a cant to it, probably isn't ideal. It'd make the grip poke you.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:29 am

Cannot see a reason to do so under normal conditions. The way I carry a concealed handgun for quick access is usually inside the waistband at about the 4:00 position, with the cover being either an open shirt or jacket - which seems to be faster than drawing from appendix carry.

The only time I've carried like appendix carry was about a year ago, when I used a belly band to hold a 1911 (chamber empty in this instance) below the level of the bely. Top cover was a buttoned plaid. It was uncomfortable to carry and awkward to draw from, but given the specific circumstances it was effective for deep concealment of a full size pistol. Since I am no longer faced with those specifics, I just carry with my primary at about 4:00.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:46 am

I believe certain methods work for certain people. Cross draw and appendix carry are not for me although I will carry in an inside jacket pocket on the weak side at times.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:55 pm

I've timed it. I'm faster at appendix carry. With a properly designed holster like the Eidolon from Raven Concealment or the Keeper from Keepers Concealment appendix carry can be quite comfortable. Check out www.keepersconcealment.com if you'd like to see a big guy conceal a G35.

I like the speed, with a good holster concealment is great, it's easy to protect your weapon or access it in a close quarters situations. There are a lot of advantages.

But, it's not comfortable for many. Either physically or mentally. One reason I have moved to high end DA/SA pistols is I use a decocker and then ride the hammer with my thumb into the holster. YMMV.

I like it as an option. I also carry OWB a lot.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:46 pm

The older I get the more I OWB carry. Now that I'm dedicated to working off my belly I'm hoping to find the appendix carry more appealing. I don't know if/when I would ever use it, but I do like having options.
Nathan in Image

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:43 pm

Appendix is wicked fast. I'm 5'7", at 190 AIWB was a no go. At 170 it's awesome.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:49 am

jeffhughes wrote:Appendix is wicked fast. I'm 5'7", at 190 AIWB was a no go. At 170 it's awesome.

OK now I understand. Thanks; I will revisit after I make progress on my belly. :)
Nathan in Image

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:22 pm

With what you do for a living, I'm sure you will still like OWB best.

I think you will like AIWB for being out and about with jeans and a t-shirt carrying your Shield. Look at the Errand from Keeper when you are ready to buy a holster. For full size guns the Keeper is the ticket. Very expensive but very unique and effective. It's designed to work best with an Instructor Belt. Popular with DEVGRU and Delta types overseas. I think the Eiodolon looks very good too. Seeing as others are copying it they must think so too.
Last edited by jeffhughes on Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:47 pm

I had considered the appendix holster from Crossbreed, but will look into the Errand. Thanks much. I've got a ways to go yet with my belly but look forward to being able to try this effectively.
Nathan in Image

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:10 pm

That's too much unneeded bulk. The shape of that leather won't let the holster slide into the comfortable zone. Also the clip location will push the grip away from your body and cause printing.
Last edited by jeffhughes on Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:11 pm

How far are you from Parma?

My son is attending a shooting camp put on by MGM Targets there this summer. It would be fun to put some rounds down range with you if it's a reasonable side trip.

Return to “Holster Tech”