Remolding a holster

Carry related accessories
chokol8cuvrdantz

Remolding a holster

Post by chokol8cuvrdantz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:31 pm

I've had an old Alienwear IWB holster for a handgun I got rid of years ago just lying around that begged to be used. I took it apart and remolded it to carry my G19. It works like a dream with great retention. Great draw and reholster. I've got no complaints about it at all.
For future reference though, how have y'all done it? I heated my kydex and molded it under a cushion and weights. Far from ideal, but decent enough to luck out and walk away with a decent holster.
What are some methods you've used that work well?

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Remolding a holster

Post by Nathan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:46 am

I've never tried to remold a holster like that. Any chance you documented it or at least took some pictures of the process?
Nathan in Image

chokol8cuvrdantz

Post by chokol8cuvrdantz » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:21 am

In hindsight I wish I had. I woke up one morning with a wild hair did it out of the blue.
I heated it until flat on a cookie sheet in the oven, draped it over the G19, and covered it with a thin pillow and books. Once it was hard enough to keep shape, I heated it until pliable and detailed it as best I could with a spoon. Once I can figure out how to post pictures on here again, I'll throw one up.

LWP

Post by LWP » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:12 pm

My Crossbreed Supertuck was delivered flat, rather than with a radius to fit my body. Even though it has a leather base, I thought a radius was called for, so I bent it across my leg while heating the kydex with a hair dryer. This produced a permanent curve and might have contributed to the excellent comfort I enjoy. As I think about it, I have probably modified everything I own.

JamesCC

Post by JamesCC » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:05 am

Can I see a picture of any sort of process? I’m visual so the look of it helps me take this sort of project on. Thanks in advance.