In vehicle carry

Optional carry methods.
SgtDon

In vehicle carry

Postby SgtDon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:48 pm

On body holsters don't seem very accessible when driving and belted in. There are also times when I go into restricted areas and need to leave ny gun in the car. I drive a convertible. Locking the gun in the center console enough or do I need to bolt a safe into the trunk. As for carrying I'm looking for suggestions. By the way getting rid of the convertible isn't an option I've had a convertible about 40 of the last 50 years.
Sgt Don

riadat

Re: In vehicle carry

Postby riadat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:50 pm

I carry in a pocket holster. I remove the holster and gun when I get in the car and put it in my console where I can grab it. As I exit the vehicle I put the gun and holster in my pocket. (J-frame model 642 Mika pocket holster).

If I go somewhere restricted I throw the gun and holster under the seat if it is for a moment and if longer I lock it in the trunk. Is it perfect? Nope. It might even be wrong but if I lose my gun and holster I'm out maybe 400 bucks since I got my gun used. I also have a H&R 12 gauges single shot in the trunk along with some number 4 buck shot in 3 inch. Again, if I lose it, I'm out maybe 100 bucks.

SgtDon

Postby SgtDon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Gun in holster in console is what I've been considering. My console locks so I'm thinking of locking in there when I have to leave in the car.

I'm just looking for other options
Sgt Don

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:37 pm

I just leave my gun in a snapped door glove box

riadat

Postby riadat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:39 pm

My ex and our daughter and 2 other kids was in a roll over a couple weeks ago. All were OK, thank God, but it made me think about some sort of retention system for my car. If you get in an accident and get knocked unconscious or something then who knows where your gun will end up. Here in Kansas they say that you can put your gun in your seat when driving.

I think your locked trunk would be safer than a console. Particularly in a convertible.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:58 pm

You can purchase a safe that secures to the seat frame via cable, on those few times when you must leave it in the car.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:54 pm

SgtDon wrote:On body holsters don't seem very accessible when driving and belted in.
Are you referencing on trips or around town or both? If I'm driving on a long trip I'll wear a shoulder holster or crossdraw. For around town I usually just deal with whatever my daily carry is.

Locking the gun in the center console enough or do I need to bolt a safe into the trunk.
Definitely lock it in a truck. I've never seen an OEM console that I couldn't force open with just an aggressive tug.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:42 pm

SgtDon wrote:On body holsters don't seem very accessible when driving and belted in. There are also times when I go into restricted areas and need to leave ny gun in the car. I drive a convertible. Locking the gun in the center console enough or do I need to bolt a safe into the trunk. As for carrying I'm looking for suggestions. By the way getting rid of the convertible isn't an option I've had a convertible about 40 of the last 50 years.

If you can stop looking at this lady's rather nice rack (especially for an older woman lol), you'll notice she has a safe packer. It attaches to the seat belt, and then you could detach it and put it in the trunk with the gun inside the case while you go someplace where weapons aren't allowed.

In all honesty though, I'd avoid places that don't allow guns.

riadat

Postby riadat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:04 pm

Boobs sell, what can you say.

Return to “Off Body Carry”