Gun experts discorage 'Purse Carry'

Optional carry methods.
Gunsmith

Gun experts discorage 'Purse Carry'

Postby Gunsmith » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:20 pm

After toddler shoots mom, some warn against women carrying gun in purse (VIDEO)
1/02/15 | by Jared Morgan 31 738

Following the tragic shooting death of an Idaho mother by her toddler son, who accidentally discharged a gun in her purse, experts warn carrying a firearm in that manner isn’t advisable.

Veronica Rutledge, 29, was shopping at the Hayden Walmart Tuesday morning when her 2-year-old reached into a zippered pocket where the woman’s concealed handgun was located.

Though Rutledge did have a concealed carry permit, the incident left some questioning whether her purse was the best place to carry a firearm.

Apart from obvious questions about easy access to children, some experts warn that such off-body carry methods can also give criminals better access to a woman’s firearm along with identification letting them know where she lives.

“This is your self defense mechanism, your insurance policy, is all in here and you just get robbed and it runs down the street and now not only does the bad guy have all of your information, where you live and everything else, he has your gun,” Rugger Cotten of Wade’s Eastside Guns in Bellevue, Washington, told NBC King 5 News.

The retail manager displayed several types of purses designed specifically for carrying a concealed weapon, but said a spandex belly band is a much safer choice for concealed carrying, the retail manager said.

Cotten also said that trigger pull weight is an important safety feature to consider when deciding on which gun to purchase. Some guns have hair triggers and the slightest amount of pressure will discharge the firearm.

http://www.guns.com/2015/01/02/after-to ... rse-video/ ... good video

hkguy

Re: Gun experts discorage 'Purse Carry'

Postby hkguy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:02 am

some redundancy there, but ill over look it. How one chooses to carry is a personal choice. Each method has its pros and cons. Purse carry can be a viable options but it does require conscience consideration to ones surroundings (situational awareness). Some women refuse to change their style of dress in order to accommodate the gun and holster.

This article does an OK job highlighting some of the considerations of off body carry, though they should have mentioned that if one chooses to carry in a purse, they should still have the gun in some type of holster to prevent things from getting into the trigger guard and or down the barrel.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:03 am

I don't like certain off-body carries because the weapon is difficult to get to. When you need a gun, you need it NOW!

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:19 am

Pickwick wrote:I don't like certain off-body carries because the weapon is difficult to get to. When you need a gun, you need it NOW!

oh, i agree! but nearly everything about concealed carry is a compromise.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:00 am

I carried in an attache case, but always worried about leaving it somewhere. Now it's cargo shorts, and a pocket carry.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:06 am

Purse carry is less than ideal, but it is the best option for many. I would much rather my wife purse carry than not carry at all.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:59 pm

Women are somewhat limited and purse carry is a viable option for them. Purse carry can be safe.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Return to “Off Body Carry”