Parts washer?

Tactical clothing, lights, lasers, kevlar vests, etc.
Nathan
Site Admin

Parts washer?

Postby Nathan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 pm

PRODUCT LINK

Anybody use a parts washer for cleaning guns? I just ordered this one from Amazon. I typically do a full detail strip anyway when I clean my guns and a parts cleaner just seems faster and more efficient.

PRODUCT LINK

Any recommendations on which cleaner/degreaser to use? Something that will dissolve oil, grease and grime but not be corrosive to paint and plastics. Simple Green and Purple Power come to mind, but there are so many others to consider as well. The above pictured cleaner has some very good reviews but says nothing about cleaning guns.

PRODUCT LINK

PRODUCT LINK

I also picked up a few accessories shown above to try different cleaning techniques.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

LWP

Re: Parts washer?

Postby LWP » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:20 pm

When do you sleep? I cannot think you have any time to detail strip, as often as you shoot and size of your collection. Anyway, that's what children are for.
I remove the slide, use Hoppes on the bore, spray the shit out of everything with WD40, blast it with compressed air, drop some oil or grease, and done. WD40 is mostly solvent, and the dry residue is water displacing and rust preventative. No, they are not pristine, but they never fail either. They are all shooters, and I don't do this often, just once or twice a year.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Currently utilizing a parts washer, Simple Green Pro HD mixed 3:1, hot water (to rinse the gun in), air compressor and a heated holding cabinet. I'm still working on perfecting my sequence and will provide details later. I've never been left with a cleaner gun; no matter where I swipe it with a white swab it comes back perfectly clean.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

mattman

Postby mattman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:58 pm

I had a mechanic friend that converted a roll away type dishwasher into a parts washer. He simply plugged the water inlet and drilled a hole into the side of the unit to slide the drain hose in, then he poured a couple gallons of his favorite cleaning solution into the bottom. It worked really well and when the solution got to dirty to be effective he just pulled the drain hose out and put it into a bucket then ran the rinse/drain cycle on the unit. He'd then add fresh solution and be ready to go again. The best part was there was no hand drying or using compressed air to dry parts unless you were to impatient to wait for the dishwasher to run its dry cycle.

Return to “Carry Gear”