Scope Rings vs One Piece Mounts

Long gun discussions.
JNic

Scope Rings vs One Piece Mounts

Post by JNic » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:56 pm

I'm working on a rifle geared for PRS. For the life of me I can't decide if I want mount the scope using rings or a one piece mount.

When I started the this project my objective was an economical custom build. Once I received the action 'economical' seems to have went out the window. It's built on a Bighorn Origin action, 26" Krieger 1-7 twist M 24 profile barrel, McMillan A6 PRS stock, Trigger Tech Diamond trigger. Mike Brant fit and chambered the barrel. Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5 - 27 is somewhere in the mail headed my way. So, the next step is attaching the scope to the rifle. I've been looking at the one piece mounts from MPA and American Rifle Company. Lately I've also been looking at rings from Kelbly and Bat Machine because they're significantly cheaper. The action came with a 20 MOA rail so I'm assuming that it's held to some fairly tight tolerances. The one piece mounts look more solid and theoretically speaking would minimize aliment issues. I have no doubt that the rings are plenty solid and since the action is held to pretty tight specs, alignment shouldn't be an issue.

I'm open to guidance and suggestions. One piece mount or rings?

yankeejib

Re: Scope Rings vs One Piece Mounts

Post by yankeejib » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:49 pm

RIP Randy Pinkhammer and Ron Durall. Those Mfer's built more rifles than I've put rounds downrange and they both were extraordinarily unselfish with their knowledge and Ron's iron (say it...BOHICA 50BMG...say it). I think about them every time I'm in Oklahoma. If Nate has the old forum's thread from Randy with his Ruger 10-22 builds, I'd pay cash money for the pictures and descriptions of his stuff. It was like 47 pages long.
I'd love to hear their take on rings.
Sincerely,

Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent
Doing what others find impossible is genius.
Why be difficult when with a little more effort, you can be impossible.

JNic

Post by JNic » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:41 pm

I also miss their insights. They didn't mind sharing or discussing. It would have been nice to have meet them, I was only 45 minutes away from their neck of the woods.

I'm currently leaning towards rings primarily due to cost. The Kelbly rings looks pretty dang solid and cost a little over half as much as the ARC mount. If I was having elevation built in I'd go with a mount. It just seems to me that getting 20 MOA rings properly spaced so that everything aligned could be challenging. Since the rail already has 20 MOA might as well save some money.

https://www.kelbly.com/product/34mm-rings-dovetail/

Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Nathan » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:43 pm

Anybody remember Dave? I can't recall his username now, but he had the handicapped son. Was a great guy, passed suddenly and unexpectedly but I can't remember the specifics.
Nathan in Image

JNic

Post by JNic » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:25 pm

The only other member that I can recall suddenly passing was Keys Guy. Can’t recall his real name.

JNic

Post by JNic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:50 pm

Went with rings from Bat Machine. They’re very well made. She’s starting to get heavy.
5F0532CB-6C3D-4774-AAA6-31BE250455B2.jpeg
5C673854-61D9-4137-B859-8BDEC8946498.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HKguy

Post by HKguy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:04 pm

its looking good! that will be a fun rig to shoot

Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:37 pm

JNic wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:25 pm
The only other member that I can recall suddenly passing was Keys Guy. Can’t recall his real name.
It wasn't Keys Guy...I wish I could remember his name.
Nathan in Image