Uberti 1860 Henry Rifle: Owning a piece of history

Long gun discussions.
Ohio9

Uberti 1860 Henry Rifle: Owning a piece of history

Post by Ohio9 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Well after years of putting it off, I've finally gotten the gun of my desire. Thor's Hammer of the Civil War. The rifle that could turn the most basic poorly trained Union private into unstoppable harbinger of death. A modern reproduction of the legendary 1860 Henry, the world's first practical military repeating rifle

Ever since I first found out this rifle existed, I was awed by it. That a repeating rifle actually existed in a war dominated by muzzle loaders was absolutely shocking. Just imagining the insane power this would give to a rank and file soldier who was lucky enough to get his hands on this made me want it instantly. Well it took years of saving up and 1,400 dollars, making this the most expensive gun I've ever bought. But now I finally have what the Confederates called That damn Yankee rifle you could load on Sunday and keep shooting till the end of the week.

The one I've got is an Uberti .45 Long Colt, which holds 13 rounds in the tube. 3 less than the original capacity of 16 rounds the original had in .44 rimfire. While not a big deal since I don't intend to use this for anything other then an occasional trip to the range, I got it almost entirely for the nostalgia value so I would have liked to have the original capacity for that reason alone.

I just picked it up today so I haven't taken it to the range yet. Initial impressions based just on appearance are pretty much what I thought of it. I found the magazine tube to be a bit of a pain to open up. It takes some effort, which could be a problem in the heat of battle. Of course, it's unique open bottomed magazine tube is the main knock against it, as it is highly vulnerable to fouling. Another noteworthy thing is that it has no handguard under the barrel, so I'll be sure to bring some shooting gloves when I fire this thing Also maybe this is just because I've been spoiled by modern polymer guns, but I found it uncomfortably heavy. So much that my support arm would feel tired after only about 10 seconds of aiming. And that's with no ammo in it. I guess maybe this will be my motivation to spend more time in the weight room. Also another downside for its day was that the Henry did not have a bayonet attachment, which was a bit of an issue since bayonets were still occasionally used in that war.

Still there is just no denying the incredible feeling of power I have by holding it, knowing how vastly superior it was to every other rifle in its day. Just picking it up makes me want to run off and blow away some rebels. I can't wait to take this to the range.

As a side note, it really is a shame the U. S. Army never took full advantage of the Henry, or repeaters in general. Only a few thousand of them were issued during the war. After the civil war, it didn't see any further use for the Army. There were many 1860 Henry rifles at the 1876 Battle of Little Big horn, but unfortunately for George Custer and his troopers, it was just the Indians who had them. Amazingly, the Army would completely ignore repeaters and go to the single-shot Trapdoor Springfield as their standard issue rifle in 1873. Then in 1893 they went with the bolt-action Krag Jorgenson, which did at least hold 5 rounds, but did not have a detachable magazine and could not use stripper clips, meaning after those 5 rounds it was basically a single shot gun. Honestly I might prefer the 1860 Henry over that. Overall the Army's use of rifle technology in the 19th century really is pathetic when you look at the big picture. They went into pretty much every major war with obsolete rifles. Their final two, the Trapdoor Springfield and Krag-Jorgbenson, were obsolete before they even went into production.

yankeejib

Re: Uberti 1860 Henry Rifle: Owning a piece of history

Post by yankeejib » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Well, that is sweet! I've been totally ears-up to pick up a .357 repeater so I could carry my 6" Smith and a long rifle with the same goobers without freaking out the black gun pussy crowd.
Sincerely,

Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent
Doing what others find impossible is genius.
Why be difficult when with a little more effort, you can be impossible.

Ohio9

Re: Uberti 1860 Henry Rifle: Owning a piece of history

Post by Ohio9 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:20 pm

yankeejib wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:28 pm
Well, that is sweet! I've been totally ears-up to pick up a .357 repeater so I could carry my 6" Smith and a long rifle with the same goobers without freaking out the black gun pussy crowd.
The 1860 Henry is only available in .45 LC or .44-40. Sadly there is no .357 version or I would have gotten that.

Perhaps you should get an 1892 Winchester. They make that in .357 and it too has some historical nostalgia value (it was the gun used by Chuck Connors' character in "The Rifleman")