Cancer carry

Overcoming limitations due to age, handicap, etc.
mattinglyt

Cancer carry

Postby mattinglyt » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:24 am

Well, as some of you know, I'm in a literal fight for my life with cancer. Up until this point I've carried my 357 revolver 100%. Blessed with a new job where I don't have to wrench anymore, I'm the service manager and run everything in the shop.
Well, with some of the meds I'm on, I stopped carrying for the most part, but kept it close. My health is changing so fast that I go from cane to walker or wheel chair at times.

Today has been the first time I carried in awhile. I moved to pocket carry with 38s instead of the full load 357s. I don't think my grip will handle the 357s right now, but did some practice with the 38s yesterday.

I'm just kind of blabbering I guess, but I'm going to try and keep this updated with my trials and tribulations with cancer carry.
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Cancer carry

Postby Nathan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:30 pm

mattinglyt wrote:I'm just kind of blabbering I guess, but I'm going to try and keep this updated with my trials and tribulations with cancer carry.

You blabber all you want, my friend. I got no plans of adding your name to The Wall any time soon!

What .38 loads are you carrying? I load 130 grain Winchester "Shoot & Train" JHP in my daughter's .357 Magnum snubbie. The recoil is soft and while the bullet isn't as heavy as I'd like, they seem to be a pretty good compromise.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:26 pm

I've switched to pocket carry some now that the humidity is 100% and the temp 95. The compromise to me is not the ammo, but the barrel length and grip. Hang in there and do keep us posted. Any of us may be putting a holster on a wheeI chair one day as we age.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:51 am

i was always a fan of the 135 GDHP short barrel load from Speer.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:25 pm

Nathan,
I have a bunch of the gold dot SD 38 spcl.
Don't recall the bullet weight, but they perform pretty good. It's the same ammo I have in Marys pistol
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

Return to “Handicapable Carry Tech”