Server outtage

Description of your first forum.
Nathan
Site Admin

Re: Server outtage

Postby Nathan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:56 pm

Rodeo Mike wrote:I do wish we didn't have go thru a 3rd party to host our pics. I understand it probably takes lots of space on that server. Photobucket doesn't do so well on my phone, I was trying to load some pics to put here yesterday, after a hr I gave up.

You can upload pictures now to this server, you just have to resize them so as not to eat up too much bandwidth while serving them.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:34 am

The biggest attraction to cloud serving is stability. This forum is in it's 11th year and in that time I've had to restart the forum at least three times due to hardware or software related failures. Every restart is like letting the air out of a tire as content is lost and everything has to be rebuilt. The cloud serving would eliminate that. In theory now that I've a RAID capable server it could also eliminate that assuming the RAID works like it's supposed to.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Rodeo Mike

Postby Rodeo Mike » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:08 pm

Nathan wrote:
Rodeo Mike wrote:I do wish we didn't have go thru a 3rd party to host our pics. I understand it probably takes lots of space on that server. Photobucket doesn't do so well on my phone, I was trying to load some pics to put here yesterday, after a hr I gave up.

You can upload pictures now to this server, you just have to resize them so as not to eat up too much bandwidth while serving them.

Great! How do I resize a pic?
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:30 pm

I've spent several months experimenting with various server packages, and I've found no Linux version truly superior to Windows Server 2016. I've ordered the Windows Server 2016 server package and will be running on the new local server very soon. If there are any requested feature updates, let me know soon.
Nathan in Image

Return to “News@ConcealedCarryForum.com”