Friends & Foes

Description of your first forum.
Nathan
Site Admin

Friends & Foes

Postby Nathan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:39 pm

One feature of this software package is that it enables you to block posts from people from whom you don't want to hear. The feature is entitled "Friends & Foes" and is accessible to everyone from your user panel.

Click on your username in the upper right hand corner and then click "User Control Panel".

From there, click the "Friends & Foes" tab and then click "Manage foes".

From this point simply enter their name in the field and click submit and you will not see anything posted by them anymore. They will still show up in the active thread list and you will see anything quoted by them, but in general it's pretty effective for its intended purpose.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Pickwick

Re: Friends & Foes

Postby Pickwick » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:23 pm

I just mark all email from people I don't want to hear from as junk and I never see it.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:36 pm

For clarity, this isn't for email; this is for forum posts. If you don't want to see any particular member's posts it will remove them from your feed.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Nathan wrote:For clarity, this isn't for email; this is for forum posts. If you don't want to see any particular member's posts it will remove them from your feed.

Sorry. I thought you were talking email. Got it.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:46 pm

Pretty handy, eh? :)
Nathan in Image

riadat

Postby riadat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:07 pm

Now if only we had this in real life.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:56 pm

Nathan wrote:For clarity, this isn't for email; this is for forum posts. If you don't want to see any particular member's posts it will remove them from your feed.

What did you say? LOL

lol
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:45 pm

Doesn't blocking posts defeat the purpose of a forum? A forum is a forum for discussion, but what value is a discussion if you refuse to acknowledge opposing viewpoints? If you only want to hear from like-minded people, at that point isn't a discussion little more than patting each other on the back for having basically the same attitudes and opionions as you? I don't agree with at least 2/3 of what's posted here, but wouldn't I be a fool to completely block someone out just because I didn't like their opinion, and miss the possibility that they say something profound or informative at some point?

Then again, I doubt anyone can see this now, so what's the point of me saying it? :lol:
"If everybody in the world today had a flower instead of a gun, there would be no wars!" - The Producers
"Women should always wear tight clothing and men should carry powerful handguns." - Calvin & Hobbes

riadat

Postby riadat » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:13 am

Well moderation would also be somewhat useful. If you have someone taking an E-crap all over your forum it makes those who visit it get E-crap on them.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:39 pm

riadat wrote:If you have someone taking an E-crap all over your forum it makes those who visit it get E-crap on them.
Were this going on throughout the forum the offender(s) would be removed. The only places this exists are within the DMZ (Oppression & Abuse and Religion & Politics). These are essentially unmoderated areas of the board with a wild west type theme where almost anything goes. It adds a little spice to the forum. I had thought about assigning a password to the DMZ so that it requires a conscious effort to enter into the DMZ but I didn't want to have to do that because we are indeed all grown and can select and choose what sections we browse. If you guys think I should password the DMZ or set up a mandatory "I know what I'm getting into before I enter this area" type button that must be clicked each time so that nobody stumbles in by accident I can do that, I just didn't really think it was necessary. I can actually remove content from the DMZ from the "Now Posts" and "Active Topics" list so that you have to specifically look for the content there including thread updates, if you guys feel it would be a good move.

I pride myself on providing the best concealed carry forum online, bar none. I want to give everyone a platform from which to engage in genuine, responsible discussions. I have never accepted advertiser dollars because our content and recommendations aren't for sale. We've suffered in popularity for failing to embrace the latest craze (such as the height of the LCP frenzy several years ago) just to ensure the validity of the recommendations made here. The DMZ is an addition to the forum to throw around other topics of interest that interests many who participate here. The opinions expressed there won't always be popular or mainstream. If you've (not you specifically, but the collective membership) any ideas on how to better segregate the DMZ from the rest of the forum without removing it, please make suggestions.
Nathan in Image

riadat

Postby riadat » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Nathan I think you are doing a good job. I like the idea of ignoring people and wish I could do it in real life sometimes.

If an individual gets on here with an agenda and posts many areas of the forum with that agenda-- then moving those posts to the appropriate sub forum would keep that agenda in that sub forum and not all over the place.

Ignoring posts won't do that. Then you get a visitor wandering in here trying to learn about CC and they get all this agenda and maybe leave before learning something useful.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:05 pm

Nathan this used to be the best concealed carry forum and while I've stuck with you all these years the forum is nothing like it used to be. With only 178 members that is not much expertise when you consider it nation wide. Even on non political or non cop related posts you've got gunsmith taking his crap on how his guns are the best and Sigs are shit. I'm sorry friend but what we had is gone and I'm grieving for it. Even Tina is gone and Ted has only posted twice this month. I've tried to stick with it but I no longer see a place for me here. I'm deeply saddened by that.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Ron,
We've lost many good members who were offended by criticism of government/police. Some are more passionate about it due to their own experiences. We keep it contained in the DMZ and should have no bearing on the carry content on this forum. Some just will never open their eyes to real abuse until it happens to them.

People express lots of reasons for various actions but looking at server logs, the largest exodus was after I made it public that I'm a plyg. I don't mind losing intolerant assholes anyway.

Ted's problem is that his big ass meaty claws don't play nice with his human size keyboard. :)

Tena left supposedly to protect me. Apparently someone in government doesn't like that we don't censor criticism of government thus only validating the criticisms further.

None of this is relevant to why I spend around $200 a month maintaining this server ($139 a month to lease the server, $20 a month for Windows licensing and the rest in other services such as anti-virus). I would challenge any person who left to tell me that they didn't learn or benefit from the many on topic discussions here and that is why we do it.
Nathan in Image

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:06 pm

The forum changes from year to year based on who's posting what. That's what keeps it interesting. If events weren't in the news on a daily basis, they would not be as much of an issue, but they are. Anyone can choose to participate or not.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:26 pm

I'm here because there are a lot of knowledgeable guys here who have similar interests to me about guns. We probably agree about a lot of political stuff, too, but not everything. I just try to keep out of too much political argument. It never goes anywhere and just causes hard feelings. I can't believe a lot of people left because of Nathan's personal life style. I can't see what that has to do with anything. He is obviously a responsible citizen living a productive life style. That ought to be enough.

riadat

Postby riadat » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:36 am

I think people are very polarized and they tend to enter discussion with one opinion and leave with that same opinion.

Abuse of power and threats to 2nd amendment are real. But how we carry ourselves makes the difference in how others perceive us.

I don't think any less of you for having two wives-- hell I couldn't take the one. LOL

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:41 am

Guys, I'm here and check in occasionally. I post where I see a need, sometimes I just don't see them all.

My problem, other than the big meaty claws, is I'm currently working 70ish hrs a week and then coming home to do my farm chores. Just doesn't leave me with a lot of Internet time.

I've noticed we have a few veteran CCFers on here and plenty of new members. After a huge rebuild like Nathan just did, it'll take time to grow as we once were. You can't go by numbers alone. We had a lot of inactive members before, and a lot of asshole ones too. A couple have made it back, but the clear out had good results I think, and there are a lot of great features on the new format.

Cheers guys, I'll make an effort to be around more, but right now I'm going back to celebrating my 15 yr anniversary with my wife.
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

chris_t

Postby chris_t » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:10 pm

mattinglyt wrote: right now I'm going back to celebrating my 15 yr anniversary with my wife.

wondering if her putting up with you for 15 years says more about you or her :o)

congrats

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:15 pm

chris_t wrote:wondering if her putting up with you for 15 years says more about you or her :o)
...it says she is very charitable. :D
Nathan in Image

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:55 pm

Doesn't matter boys, I'll take what I can get.
And she's all mine
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:11 pm

I was at the local gun shop not long ago and one of the old guys said it was his and his wife's anniversary. We asked him how long they had been married, and he said, "Eighty years…40 for her and 40 for me." LOL!

Eric_in_FL

Postby Eric_in_FL » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:23 am

It's gonna be ok, everyone, I'm here.

*crickets*

lol

Grindstone Cowboy

Postby Grindstone Cowboy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:47 pm

Now if I just had caller IQ, I'd be set.
Always be yourself. Unless being yourself means being an idiot. In that case, be someone else.

Tye

Postby Tye » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:08 am

Been gone a while. I think the forum has lost some greatness content wize since the reboot. I will poke around a bit and see what is new. Looks the DMZ is empty. Maybe not a bad thing...
Best regards,

Tye

Return to “News@ConcealedCarryForum.com”