Open up to new members?

Description of your first forum.
Nathan
Site Admin

Open up to new members?

Postby Nathan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:07 pm

I need more content to fill my idle time! A lot of my job is spent waiting. When you make a change on an ice maker for example, you just stand there literally watching water freeze for two cycles (roughly thirty minutes, depending on the machine) before making further adjustments. During this idle time I used to browse Facebook and other social media. I quit Facebook and other social media outlets last week and now find that I fill my idle time on Gun Broker where I've spent $6,000 in the last week alone. Obviously this cannot continue.
Other than Ron's son, I haven't added any new members (that I can recall) to this forum in over a year. I've always enjoyed the camaraderie we enjoy here; camaraderie typically lost when forums grow.
So what say you? Start approving members to increase activity, or let it ride as is until I go bankrupt on Gun Broker? :D
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

samuelrp

Re: Open up to new members?

Postby samuelrp » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:53 pm

I did not realize this was a closed group?
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:07 pm

It's open to read but I haven't approved any new member registrations in over a year.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:05 pm

some fresh air would be nice, its getting pretty stale here in terms of content...
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

lazyh

Postby lazyh » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:04 pm

I think some new members would be good.

cola490

Postby cola490 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:31 am

New members could bring new ideas and information.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:23 pm

Well, I think it is fine, but we need to be quicker at dealing with guys like that clown Gunsmith that used to stink up the place.

Eric_in_FL

Postby Eric_in_FL » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:37 pm

I honestly had no idea there hadnt been any new members accepted, thought they still just had to register.
That makes me feel better at the future knowing there probably have been new users trying to join in, and not just the site having gone completely dead.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:39 pm

A bigger family does provide more excitement sometimes.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:41 pm

MisterB wrote:Well, I think it is fine, but we need to be quicker at dealing with guys like that clown Gunsmith that used to stink up the place.

Ron Durall RIP hated that guy and made it well known. Clearly, some people (like me) join some forums (not this one) to poke people in the eye and create debate until they're deleted (see Defensive Carry.com...AKA Lil Faggots with Attitudes). While we pride ourselves on an open forum and are basically self-regulating, I think anyone (like dipshit Gunsmith) needs to be dealt with at the discretion of the forum owner and/or designated "moderators" in an appropriate fashion (No homo points like DC please).
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Doing what others find difficult is talent.
Doing what others find impossible is genius,
Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you can be entirely impossible.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:57 pm

yankeejib wrote:
MisterB wrote:Well, I think it is fine, but we need to be quicker at dealing with guys like that clown Gunsmith that used to stink up the place.

Ron Durall RIP hated that guy and made it well known. Clearly, some people (like me) join some forums (not this one) to poke people in the eye and create debate until they're deleted (see Defensive Carry.com...AKA Lil Faggots with Attitudes). While we pride ourselves on an open forum and are basically self-regulating, I think anyone (like dipshit Gunsmith) needs to be dealt with at the discretion of the forum owner and/or designated "moderators" in an appropriate fashion (No homo points like DC please).

Oh, man. Ron and I were email buddies, and he was absolutely infatuated with his disgust for that guy. There were times I felt like telling him to quit whining, but I just let him vent.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Nathan wrote:I quit Facebook and other social media outlets last week

Congratulations!

Nathan wrote:and now find that I fill my idle time on Gun Broker where I've spent $6,000 in the last week alone. Obviously this cannot continue.

Yeah, if you keep getting more guns, people might think you're some sort of poly-gun-ist. :lol: :D
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:53 am

Hand and Steel wrote:if you keep getting more guns, people might think you're some sort of poly-gun-ist.

...I see what you did there; that's awesome! Image
Nathan in Image

LWP

Postby LWP » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:02 pm

Didn't know that. I'm open to more members, but I would like to see more focus on carry and less blather on other topics.
Congrats on quitting social media, I never started.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:47 am

LWP wrote:Congrats on quitting social media

...I genuinely don't miss Facebook with all the liberal fuck shamers trying to convince me that I should be perfectly accepting of men going into the bathroom with my young daughters...but I do gotta find a (less expensive) way to spend my idle time away from Gun Broker. My deadly sin appears to be gluttony and Gun Broker is making it easy.

...perhaps I'll try online gambling? Image
Nathan in Image

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Those are all great investments. The more you buy, the more you save!

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Nathan wrote:...I genuinely don't miss Facebook with all the liberal fuck shamers trying to convince me that I should be perfectly accepting of men going into the bathroom with my young daughters...but I do gotta find a (less expensive) way to spend my idle time away from Gun Broker. My deadly sin appears to be gluttony and Gun Broker is making it easy.

If you have too much down time at work, you might consider reading these "hidden gems". They'll definitely keep you busy for a few months. Not sure if they're your "cup of tea", (they are definitely not for everyone), but I can't recommend them highly enough. Just so damn deep. The only suggestion I'll make is not to stop halfway through if you start - it will surprise you near the end.

https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Claw-First-Half-Book/dp/0312890176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475635194&sr=8-1&keywords=the+book+of+the+new+sun

https://www.amazon.com/Sword-Citadel-Second-Half-Book/dp/0312890184/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1475634722&sr=8-4&keywords=the+book+of+the+new+sun
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

Tye

Postby Tye » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 pm

Another thing: There was a bunch of fantastic technical content on this forum before the reboot. Initial promises to bring history back in never materialized. Many of those threads were kick started by newbs coming to arms perhaps for the first time. There are a bunch of helpful people here with great experiences willing to help such people out that ultimately brings a multitude of perspective and healthy debate. Perhaps you've just explained to me what has really been missing from this site since the reboot!
Best regards,

Tye

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:15 am

Tye wrote:Initial promises to bring history back in never materialized.

It's not as simple as clicking a few options. The current server that I'm leasing does not support the Access DB that the previous forum runs on and I see little point in paying the licensing fees to add the feature when the server isn't permanent. I still have the old forum 100% preserved and will eventually put it back on line for reference ability but it will come after I move servers again and have at least a full day to dedicate to getting it on line.
Nathan in Image

Return to “News@ConcealedCarryForum.com”