USPc 45 - SS?

Defensive carry handguns.
User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Nathan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image


I want to try an HK USPc .45 for daily carry, and cannot decide if I want the stainless steel version or the "Hostile Environment" blueing. Which do you prefer, and why? I typically avoid shiny carry guns, but that combination is pure gun porn.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Eric_in_FL
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Eric_in_FL » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:45 am

Agreed, it is a beautiful sight, but gun porn is for the safe, personally I'd carry the blued, non-shiny if you know you're buying for a carry option. :P
With that said, however, with all the options and sacrifices made in carrying, the difference is negligible really. Once it's out, if you ever had to pull it and put rounds down range, really what difference would it make in an SD situation?
If you were an operator moving in the dark or on such missions where you'd have it out ahead of time and worried about catching glints of light giving away position, then I'd see it mattering more.
We all know you like to look pretty, Nathan, just get the shiny one. :P

User avatar
Hand and Steel
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:44 am
Location: In the world but not of it

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:00 pm

I've read many times that the compact USPs have a tendency of breaking trigger springs unless modified. Any thoughts on whether this is an issue?
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

User avatar
hkguy
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby hkguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:I've read many times that the compact USPs have a tendency of breaking trigger springs unless modified. Any thoughts on whether this is an issue?


ive got about 2000 rounds through my USPc 9 with no issues.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

User avatar
hkguy
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby hkguy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Here is my 2 cents since i own both. I love all my HKs but to me, the SS guns are more "collectors" pieces. They certainly could work as a defensive tool, dont get me wrong. HK does not put many out any more and that is were i have classified them in my collection.

I've had mine out to the range a few times to shoot it and unlike its 9mm and 40 cal brothers, recoil is harsh but not unbearable. they are very comparable to the UPSc9 mm in terms of size, just being slightly longer and taller. I guess the real question you have to answer is, is it worth the extra $100 to get an SS to try out over the black model.

i like the HK45c better but now your looking at $2-300 more to get one. Its a tough choice, good luck 8)

Eat your heart out gentlemen :mrgreen:

Image

Image

Image
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:21 am

Eric_in_FL wrote:gun porn is for the safe, personally I'd carry the blued, non-shiny if you know you're buying for a carry option.

That's where I'm at, too. Just damn, that SS sure is a beauty!
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:24 am

Hand and Steel wrote:I've read many times that the compact USPs have a tendency of breaking trigger springs unless modified. Any thoughts on whether this is an issue?

I've never heard of this before so I did some searching. There is one website for HK enthusiasts, hkpro.com (I mean there are more websites, but only one where the industry experts participate). If there was a known issue with this, I'm absolutely certain that it would be discussed over there. I did a search and found zero mentions of this.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Nathan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 am

hkguy wrote:i like the HK45c better but now your looking at $2-300 more to get one.

I already have an HK45cT and it's a great gun (I mean...it's an HK). I could just swap out the elephant foot magazine for the short-mag but actually prefer the grip of the USPc over the HK45c. The HK45 has the grip texture similar to the P30, but the HK45c uses the rain drop texture similar to the HK2000. I think the USP has the best double stack 45 grip in the business, and the USPc fits me similarly.


Image
Here's most of my HK family. I've also got a few unfired USP 45s in deep storage. Currently consists of:
HK45
HK45cT
USP 45
P30 40
P30 9mm
P2000sk
VP9s (sequential set)
P7 PSP


I really want a concealable .45 ACP that's similar in size to my Glock 19 but cannot find much truly comparable. I don't like that my pinky finger isn't planted firmly on the grip of a G30 or G36 (the movement of the magazine extension throws me off a little). The same goes for the M&Pc. My .45 Shield is a great choice but it's a little small for my primary carry and is better suited for a backup (I want more capacity and a more substantial grip). The same can be said of the XDs. The Glock 38 (.45 GAP) would be a good choice, but they still don't offer it in a Gen4 (and likely won't) and I'm also not big on getting yet another odd-ball caliber to stock ammo for.

The USPc .45 seems like it would fit what I'm looking for. If clearing my home in the middle of the night I don't want the reflection off the stainless gun to give away my position and will likely get the blued version, but damn that SS one sure is a beauty! I'll probably end up with both, eventually. Whichever I get for a carry gun I'll be swapping out the bobbed hammer for a full hammer and converting over to V3 from the V1 (decock only, no safety).
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Hand and Steel
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:44 am
Location: In the world but not of it

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:51 pm

Nathan wrote:I've never heard of this before so I did some searching. There is one website for HK enthusiasts, hkpro.com (I mean there are more websites, but only one where the industry experts participate). If there was a known issue with this, I'm absolutely certain that it would be discussed over there. I did a search and found zero mentions of this.


Perhaps the problem (if it existed) has been since fixed by the company - it was over 5 years ago that I was reading about the trigger spring breakages. I was recently reminded when I saw Teddy Jacobson of "Actions By T" renown make the same statement about the compact models breaking trigger springs. While I don't take credentials of any sort too seriously, he is a well respected trigger specialist and seems to have been held in high regard by Stephen Camp, who certainly knew his stuff when it came guns.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

User avatar
Eric_in_FL
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Eric_in_FL » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:While I don't take credentials of any sort too seriously, he is a well respected trigger specialist and seems to have been held in high regard by Stephen Camp, who certainly knew his stuff when it came guns.



I believe I remember the esteemed Mr Camp making a few posts on this forum years ago.

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Nathan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Eric_in_FL wrote:I believe I remember the esteemed Mr Camp making a few posts on this forum years ago.

Yes; Mr. Camp was indeed a regular member in good standing until his passing.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Nathan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks, all. I've ultimately decided to purchase both, separately. I just purchased the blued LE version (three top capacity magazines and night sights) from BUD'S for $899 (using the price match feature) with free shipping. I paid by e-check so hopefully I'll have it in a couple weeks. Bud's is sold out of the stainless steel version so I set it up to notify me when they are back in stock. I'll order it at that time.

I prefer to buy from Bud's due to their volume of sales. I get pretty pissed off when I order a premium gun on Gun Broker and it arrives with handling marks where some careless gun store employee banged it into other guns in the case. Bud's deals in such volume that few of their guns ever see a display case. The SS version isn't likely to be a carry gun so I want the finish to be perfect. For this reason I'd rather wait on Bud's to have it in stock than buy it now off Gun Broker. I'm also on the same waiting list at Impact Guns who also deals in high volume sales. Whomever gets them in first will be who I buy it from unless I should happen across a flawless sample locally.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Hand and Steel
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:44 am
Location: In the world but not of it

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Hand and Steel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:13 pm

I was slightly mistaken on what Mr. Jacobson said regarding the USPc - he states in this video that the compact models have a "potential trigger return problem". This reminded me of having read about the trigger spring issues several years ago. You can skip to the 5 minute mark in the video to hear his comments on the HK.

"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

11bravo
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby 11bravo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Nathan wrote:Thanks, all. I've ultimately decided to purchase both, separately. I just purchased the blued LE version (three top capacity magazines and night sights) from BUD'S for $899 (using the price match feature) with free shipping. I paid by e-check so hopefully I'll have it in a couple weeks. Bud's is sold out of the stainless steel version so I set it up to notify me when they are back in stock. I'll order it at that time.

I prefer to buy from Bud's due to their volume of sales. I get pretty pissed off when I order a premium gun on Gun Broker and it arrives with handling marks where some careless gun store employee banged it into other guns in the case. Bud's deals in such volume that few of their guns ever see a display case. The SS version isn't likely to be a carry gun so I want the finish to be perfect. For this reason I'd rather wait on Bud's to have it in stock than buy it now off Gun Broker. I'm also on the same waiting list at Impact Guns who also deals in high volume sales. Whomever gets them in first will be who I buy it from unless I should happen across a flawless sample locally.

Only you settles the which one should I buy debate with fuck it I'll get both.

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Nathan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Hand and Steel wrote:I was slightly mistaken on what Mr. Jacobson said regarding the USPc - he states in this video that the compact models have a "potential trigger return problem".

Listening to his argument, he seems to lack any reasoning behind his beliefs on most all guns. Can't get parts? Somebody should tell him about the internet thingy. :)
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Nathan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:10 pm

11bravo wrote:Only you settles the which one should I buy debate with fuck it I'll get both.

Easily explained:

Blued - Carry gun.
SS - Investment.

I buy a lot of good guns for simple investments that will be put in storage until the time is right; they're only going to increase in value.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Nathan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Image

I found that TOP GUN SUPPLY has it in stock for $959. Order placed. Ordered one day after, I bet it shows up a week before the gun from Bud's. Now I'm not criticizing Bud's because I did opt to pay by e-check to avoid credit card penalty fees (Top Gun Supply did not charge me any credit card penalty fees), but it takes about .5 seconds to process an e-check so it shouldn't take an extra week.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
hkguy
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby hkguy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm

not bad for the lastest production run. i picked up mine for $700, but its an AA code
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

User avatar
Hand and Steel
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:44 am
Location: In the world but not of it

Re: USPc 45 - SS?

Postby Hand and Steel » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Nathan wrote:Listening to his argument, he seems to lack any reasoning behind his beliefs on most all guns. Can't get parts? Somebody should tell him about the internet thingy. :)


I find it likely that these videos were made some time ago - another video (which looks to have been made around the same time) has him stating that a Makarov can be had for a hundred some dollars. That was true at a time when parts would have been harder to find on the internet, so I suspect it is safe to say that the video is fairly dated.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."


Return to “Carry Guns”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest