Hi-Power Discontinued

Defensive carry handguns.
User avatar
Hand and Steel
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:44 am
Location: In the world but not of it

Hi-Power Discontinued

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:14 am

It seems that FN Herstal has completed its last run of Browning Hi-Powers / P35s and the line is now discontinued. The reasoning reportedly given is that the Hi-Power apparently is not selling as well as it used to.

Personally I just can't see that rationale being correct (in North America at least) since just about every company that sells or distributes them sells out almost as soon as they get them in.

It is unfortunate indeed if this decision holds - I can think of no handgun that represents a more balanced set of attributes in simplicity, reliability, accuracy, firepower, sleekness, elegance and build quality than the classic Hi-Power pistol.

What are your thoughts on this decision? Should FN continue production or are they wise to abandon the almost 100 year old design? Should another manufacturer set themselves up to continue the tradition? (Note that FM in Argentina no longer produces Hi-Powers, FEG in Hungary no longer exists, and Arcus in Bulgaria is not currently manufacturing small arms of any type.) If another company begins work on a Hi-Power clone, what would you like to see done differently? Do you see the Hi-Power as outdated, or a symbol of bygone higher standards?
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."

User avatar
Nathan
Site Admin
Posts: 2114
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm
Location: Billings, MT
Contact:

Re: Hi-Power Discontinued

Postby Nathan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:50 am

Hand and Steel wrote:What are your thoughts on this decision?

I have some deeply mixed emotions on this. The Hi-Power is the only gun that I regard as highly as the 1911. I have such deep respect for the heritage and history of the Hi-Power and I and take this news with a heavy heart. That said, from a business standpoint I understand why they must discontinue the design. Truth be told, the Hi-Power is not the superior choice for a sidearm, anymore. It's a full size service sidearm with less capacity than a modern compact. It's heavy (in comparison to modern poly-wonder-guns), expensive to manufacture thus expensive to purchase, not as statistically reliable as the modern loose poly-wonder-guns, and being a single action it's just not a good choice for the masses. For the longest time I considered it to be the most perfectly ergonomically designed gun I've ever held, but even that title was lost (to the HK VP9/P30). From a business standpoint I understand completely; if it ain't selling, it ain't selling.

...but from a personal standpoint, this sucks. I can remember when I was around 12 years old or so, my biggest struggle was trying to decide if I would one day carry the Browning Hi-Power or the 1911. I was leaning toward the 1911, but only because my grandfather had one. Deep down, despite my own denial, I could feel myself being pulled toward the Hi-Power. Before ever having even held one, I fell in love with it at somewhere around 8 years old when my older brother brought one home. After shooting it, I found that I could handle the recoil much better than my grandfather's 1911 or my brother's .357 Magnum Python. It's been a love affair ever since and now with this news I feel almost guilty for not carrying mine.


If another company begins work on a Hi-Power clone, what would you like to see done differently? Do you see the Hi-Power as outdated, or a symbol of bygone higher standards?

Image
Nighthawk used to offer an updated Hi-Power but it was't selling. I wouldn't have hesitated to buy one were it not for the stupid ass exaggerated beaver-tail that I call the "rearward facing bayonet". They took a beautiful concept and ruined it.

Image
...my small collection of Hi-Powers just became even more endearing to me.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Image

User avatar
Hand and Steel
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:44 am
Location: In the world but not of it

Re: Hi-Power Discontinued

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:49 am

Nathan wrote:from a personal standpoint, this sucks. I can remember when I was around 12 years old or so, my biggest struggle was trying to decide if I would one day carry the Browning Hi-Power or the 1911. I was leaning toward the 1911, but only because my grandfather had one. Deep down, despite my own denial, I could feel myself being pulled toward the Hi-Power. Before ever having even held one, I fell in love with it at somewhere around 8 years old when my older brother brought one home. After shooting it, I found that I could handle the recoil much better than my grandfather's 1911 or my brother's .357 Magnum Python. It's been a love affair ever since and now with this news I feel almost guilty for not carrying mine.

Likewise, I have some family history involving a Hi-Power that's only contributed to my appreciation of the gun.

Nathan wrote:Nighthawk used to offer an updated Hi-Power but it was't selling.

The $3500 price tag might have something to do with it. A decent surplus HP or clone with replacement springs costs about 1/10 that and is still going to be more accurate than most of the people shooting them.

Nathan wrote:I wouldn't have hesitated to buy one were it not for the stupid ass exaggerated beaver-tail that I call the "rearward facing bayonet". They took a beautiful concept and ruined it.

Have you tried holding one? If it's the idea of stabbing yourself in the side while carrying it you're worried about, I think a good sweat guard on the holster should keep it from doing too much damage. The "reverse beavertail" on the Bulgarian clones I own is almost as long and has never caused a problem either in the hand or the holster.

Nathan wrote:...my small collection of Hi-Powers just became even more endearing to me.

That's a pretty sweet collection. I'd like to find both a chrome and duo-tone Hi-Power like that someday.
"Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives."


Return to “Carry Guns”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest