S&W Governor

Discussions about handguns not suitable for carry.
11bravo

Re: S&W Governor

Post by 11bravo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 am
11bravo wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:48 am
Nate do you have a link to that holster? That would be perfect for kayaking.
Honestly, it's the best damn holster I've ever found for any seated activity. I bought mine so that I could draw easily while seated on my tractor, and it's worked out incredibly well for me. I've already ordered another one for my Glock 20 and am awaiting delivery. You can order with or without the flap, with or without ammo loops/mag carrier.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/p ... st-holster

You can also get them instantly on Amazon without any options, depending on the gun you want to use it for.
www.amazon.com/Diamond-Guides-Choice-Gl ... ref=sr_1_2
Thanks buddy, it just looks perfect for the kayaking we do. Belt holsters don't work well as we have to get out out in waist deep water quite a bit. I think this will be perfect for preventing my weapon being submerged on a regular basis. Hell I lost a pistol on our last trip. lucky it wasn't anything nice.

Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:40 am

11bravo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:28 pm
Thanks buddy, it just looks perfect for the kayaking we do. Belt holsters don't work well as we have to get out out in waist deep water quite a bit. I think this will be perfect for preventing my weapon being submerged on a regular basis. Hell I lost a pistol on our last trip. lucky it wasn't anything nice.
Yup; I totally get it. Drawing while seated on the tractor just wasn't doing it for me, but this thing works great! What gun are you getting it for?
Nathan in Image

11bravo

Post by 11bravo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:13 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:40 am
11bravo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:28 pm
Yup; I totally get it. Drawing while seated on the tractor just wasn't doing it for me, but this thing works great! What gun are you getting it for?
I'll probably get it for my glock 21 for now, until I pick up a governor or judge.

Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:08 pm

11bravo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:13 pm
I'll probably get it for my glock 21 for now, until I pick up a governor or judge.
I don't have a G21, but I do have the G20 (same gun, in 10mm). It rides perfect in the Guide Holster.
Nathan in Image

11bravo

Post by 11bravo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:25 pm

It will only be temporary until I get a governor. With the amount of cottonmouths on this creek I’d rather not have the chance to miss, and since the VA just upped my disability rating, I’m thinking a governor with that holster would be a good use of the new funds.

Nathan
Site Admin

Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:51 am

11bravo wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:25 pm
I’m thinking a governor with that holster would be a good use of the new funds.
When the shotgun revolvers first came out, I dismissed them as a gimmick because I was looking at it from a self defense position. For self defense against large predators, there are many better choices available. .410 #7.5 shot won't even penetrate 1/4" plywood at 10'. Even .410 buckshot and slugs are poor penetrators. You can load it with .45LC or even .45 ACP (with moon clips), but you can carry those loads in much smaller and lighter guns. So due to the self defense aspects of the shotgun revolvers, I was very dismissive of them. But then the mice came in for my deer corn, and then the snakes came in for the mice. And it was then, that the application for the shotgun revolver came clear to me. When I'm mowing pasture on my tractor, I see file mice scurry. I can draw my Governor and fire, guarantee'd hit on the mouse, without ever having to slow down the tractor. 15'-20' with #7.5 shot gives you about a 3'-4' wall of pellets that simply cannot miss a mouse or a snake. It's my perfect companion around the ranch. I still wear my Glock 20 on my strong side belt in case a large predator comes out, but in the last two years I've only drawn it a few times (coyote and a black bear). The Governor? I'll kill mice with it this weekend. I have to swap out my grading scraper and front bucket for a snow plow and rear blade on the tractor and any time I'm swapping implements in the tractor shed I always disrupt a mouse nest.
Nathan in Image

11bravo

Post by 11bravo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:14 pm

I still think the governor/judge is a very limited weapon. It’s a snake, or in your case, a mouse gun. I can see the usefulness of it for you, and what I plan to do with it but for most it’s a novelty. I would never carry it for SD as there are far to many better and less expensive options.

I like you find no joy in killing anything. I hope I never have to take another life as long as I live, but when it comes to poisonous aggressive snakes, if it gets close, it dies. Not risking a bite when out on the creek that has limited access and help could be a long way away.