Browning HP as a carry gun

Defensive carry handguns.
Gunsmith

Browning HP as a carry gun

Postby Gunsmith » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:02 pm

The Browning Hi Power is a single-action, semi-automatic handgun available in 9mm and .40 S&W calibers. It is based on a design by American firearms inventor John Browning, and completed by Dieudonné Saive at Fabrique Nationale (FN) of Herstal, Belgium. Browning died in 1926, several years before the design was finalized. The Hi-Power is one of the most widely used military pistols in history, having been used by the armed forces of over 50 countries.

The Hi Power name is somewhat misleading and alluded to the 13-round magazine capacity, almost twice that of contemporary designs such as the Luger or Mauser 1910.

As a carry gun

I personally like the safety, versus the 1911. The gun is reliable, and a good point-and-shoot. And it holds 15 rounds of 9mm, which is available.

Pickwick

Re: Browning HP as a carry gun

Postby Pickwick » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:28 pm

MY BHP only holds 13. I carry the Standard with fixed sights. I find it handles a little quicker than the 1911, plus the higher capacity is important nowadays.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Yes sir Mr Pickwick

Hard to believe that the BHP was made in 1935. It's my standard car gun

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:18 pm

I'm carrying 124 gr. Hornady XTP's in mine. I settled on those after trying several different loads. A friend of mine who carries in his Federal investigative work says several of them carry BHP's and that is what they shoot.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Ya pickwick - The BHP was customized for FBIs elite teams by Wayne Knovak

Chris C

Postby Chris C » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:29 pm

I'm pretty partial to my BHP. Would like to carry it instead of my Glock 27. I carry my G27 daily in a Predator http://www.wrightleatherworks.com/produ ... ke-holster but can't seem to find an OWB holster for the BHP I like well enough. Any thoughts, Gunsmith?
Chris

As a regular course of procedure, I carry a pistol because a cop is too heavy!

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Usually any 1911 holster will accept a BHP....mine rides in a Kramer or a Lobo Gunleather....

Randy
"The more I shoot the luckier I seem to Get"

NRA Certified Instructor-Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, NRA CRO. competitor in SASS, IDPA, USPSA, NRA Smallbore rifle 3/4 p. NRA High Power Rifle Service Rifle, NRA Air Rifle

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:52 pm

Also use a Galco Avenger holster as it is what you describe as wanting. Good well mad holster in al regards.
Randy

NRA Certified Instructor-Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, NRA CRO. competitor in SASS, IDPA, USPSA, NRA Smallbore rifle 3/4 p. NRA High Power Rifle Service Rifle, NRA Air Rifle

Chris C

Postby Chris C » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:57 pm

The Avenger style holster doesn't hold a pistol as tight to the body as a pancake, does it? Though I'm not crazy about them, I could have used an Avenger style with my G27 because of it's size..............but the BHP is a full-sized pistol and would stick out too far to conceal easily. Or am I incorrect?
Chris

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:16 pm

I use a double clip, IWB holster from Bullard Leather for my BHP and have carried it that way for years at 4 o'clock position. Comfortable and never been "made."

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:29 pm

The galco avenger works well with my Springfield loaded.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Chris C

Postby Chris C » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:43 pm

I wear my pants too tight to use an IWB Pickwick. I know a lot of folks who carry IWB, but I'm not going to be one of them.

I'm sure the Avenger style does work well samuelrp............but I'd be willing to bet your Springfield would be held a lot closer (more concealed) in a pancake style................just my opinion. Your experience may differ. I'd probably end up with an Avenger style if I carried open........which I don't.
Chris

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:48 pm

The Avenger conceals very well for me.........as does my Lobo which is similar in design....a sturdy belt makes all the difference in the world.

Randy

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:57 pm

I've found this inexpensive pancake holster to be an excellent option.

http://www.holsterama.com/molded-leathe ... e-holster/

For only $40 it's an absolute steal. While it doesn't have the same level of finishing as a Galco or a Bianchi, it works just as well as the more expensive ones and holds up great. Conceals nicely under a jacket and protects the muzzle. Good retention.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Chris C

Postby Chris C » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:39 am

I'd buy the Galco Concealable Holster if they made it in a walnut color like my Wrights Predator. Personally, I don't care for either the black or cordovan colors.
Chris

BULLDOG

Postby BULLDOG » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:31 pm

The Browing HP made in Belgium.? Was the sidearm that I was issued to me during my Army Service in the 60's .? I rejected the old 1911's that were being issued.? As they were from WW2 & Korea.? And had lots of wear on them.? I loved caring the HP in the bush.? As it was dependable & a comfort to carry.? I wish that I still had that HP today.? 8)

BULLDOG

Postby BULLDOG » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:36 pm

The Browing HP made in Belgium.? Was the sidearm that was issued to me during my Army Service in the 60's .? I rejected the old 1911's that were being issued.? As they were from WW2 & Korea.? And had lots of wear on them.? I loved caring the HP in the bush.? As it was dependable & a comfort to carry.? I wish that I still had that HP today.? 8)

Return to “Carry Guns”