pocket carry choices

Defensive carry handguns.
gunnutz

pocket carry choices

Postby gunnutz » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:07 am

Hey guys, I have narrowed my pocket carry choice to 2 guns, the ruger lcp or the kahr cm9. I am interested to hear your guys opinions on these choices and if any of you have had one or both what your experience has been. I'm 5'8" and around 210lbs. I would say I have an athletic build with a belly.

nachodaddy

Re: pocket carry choices

Postby nachodaddy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:20 am

Kahr CM9. LCP is pretty much worthless in a SD situation.

Read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=78

ramjet

Postby ramjet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:23 am

You probably meant LC9 as it is too large for pocket carry, unless you like balloon pockets. But the kahr has been shown to be very reliable and accurate to boot. With the proper ammo, it should be a very effective self defense tool. But, be prepared to practice, practice, practice...Those little kahrs take time to get used to. In order to shoot well and be proficient...As in all things.
Kahr P9
S&W 1911 stainless
Springfield Armory 1911 milspec
S&W 686 4in. stainless

riadat

Postby riadat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:03 pm

LCP is a .380 and there is a rule against talking about or advising people to carry anything less than 9mm here.

Kahr CM9 is a good gun and ammo is about half the price and the ballistics are decent in 9mm.

Of the 2 I would go with the cm9.

I myself pocket carry a Smith 642 revolver and I would rather have that than either of your two pistols.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Mine is a Charter Arms Undercover Lite .38 special.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:54 pm

After lots of grief and money wasted on tons of pocket guns and holsters, I found the Sig P938 9mm, and am very pleased. A true pocket gun, in a true pocket size. Beautiful and well made enough to pass down to posterity. A thin single stack extra mag fits in the coin pocket of your jeans

riadat

Postby riadat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:12 pm

MisterB wrote:After lots of grief and money wasted on tons of pocket guns and holsters, I found the Sig P938 9mm, and am very pleased. A true pocket gun, in a true pocket size. Beautiful and well made enough to pass down to posterity. A thin single stack extra mag fits in the coin pocket of your jeans

I'm not real sure about cocked and locked and safety but I'm 100% sure of double action only and no safety. But to each their own.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:37 pm

riadat wrote:
MisterB wrote:After lots of grief and money wasted on tons of pocket guns and holsters, I found the Sig P938 9mm, and am very pleased. A true pocket gun, in a true pocket size. Beautiful and well made enough to pass down to posterity. A thin single stack extra mag fits in the coin pocket of your jeans

I'm not real sure about cocked and locked and safety but I'm 100% sure of double action only and no safety. But to each their own.

No human made product can be 100%. If cocked and locked is a problem, an option is to just carry without a round chambered. Yeah, I know. Another debate.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:23 am

MisterB wrote:
riadat wrote:

No human made product can be 100%. If cocked and locked is a problem, an option is to just carry without a round chambered. Yeah, I know. Another debate.

Now, MisterB, look what you have gone and done…you have dumped us into the "cocked and locked" swamp of debate. AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! :evil:

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:41 am

Personally, I'm not trusting a Ruger or a Kahr semi auto for pocket carry at all.

riadat

Postby riadat » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:46 am

I don't have a debate, I made a choice of what to carry. Mine has no safety and one in the chamber and is double action and will not jam. Not carrying one in the chamber is even worse than cocked and locked. I would either carry it cocked and locked with one in the chamber or not at all. Every modern gun with one racked is probably going to shoot at least once but if you don't even have one racked you will have a chance of something going wrong when you rack the slide to put a new round in. I assume that those carry cocked and locked guns trust their mechanism and practice with them and find them dead nuts reliable. I love .45 style guns and have shot a number of them but never owned one. Doesn't make the design bad, just whatever I carry I have to be sure of-- so I would have to buy it and practice with it and be completely familiar before it could become my everyday carry.

Renigeid

Postby Renigeid » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:03 am

When pocket carrying I either have a Khar PM 9 OR a Mod 60 S&W 38 spl. Very seldom pocket carry but when I do I feel some what protected with either of these. Most of the time, and I feel much better, I am carrying my G 22 with sixteen 125 gr .357 Sig hollow point rounds. Using a Wolf barrel in the G 22.

lazyh

Postby lazyh » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:38 am

I have a Kahr PM9 that I carry in a pocket holster occasionally. No problems encountered.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:42 am

Well, I have carried my BHP's and 1911's cocked and locked for years with no issues. It makes no sense to carry a single action pistol any other way. The first thing to go under stress is fine motor coordination. I would not want to have to rack a slide in an urgent situation or cock a hammer. Too much can go wrong. The only thing I would consider for actual pocket carry is a revolver. I love the Charter UC Lite.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 am

My Delta Elite 10mm 1911 is always carried cocked and locked. As were all the 1911s I carried before it. Never had a problem except you have to practice drawing and sweeping the safety off so when you need it you don't try to shoot a gun with the safety on. There is nothing wrong with Double action/single action hand guns. I carried a Sig Pro in .40 S&W for several years.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:27 am

I've never found an automatic that felt right for pocket carry, and I've tried many sub-compacts. The J-Frame Smith however, seems perfectly at home. The problem with pocket carry seems to me to be the purchase. Getting your hand around the grip while inside a pocket can be challenging. Revolvers offer smaller grips than automatics enabling an authoritative purchase prior to draw eliminating the two finger slide out, adjust grip prior to presentation procedure.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:49 pm

I don't know if there is a real acceptable 9mm (reliable and safe) for pocket carry. I have had good luck with a Kimber Ultra 9mm, about as small as you get, but it's really a holster gun. I had a Ruger CM9, but again it was too big, plus it needed to be on safety in a pocket.

jjinsc

Postby jjinsc » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Nathan wrote:The problem with pocket carry seems to me to be the purchase. Getting your hand around the grip while inside a pocket can be challenging. Revolvers offer smaller grips than automatics enabling an authoritative purchase prior to draw eliminating the two finger slide out, adjust grip prior to presentation procedure.

This is definitely true if your mode of dress is jeans. However, this does not seem to be an issue with dress pants or casual slacks with the proper pocket width and depth. So pocket carry does also require consideration of your mode of dress when pocket carrying. I never pocket carry in jeans. But with all that said, a j-frame is still all around the best pocket carry piece IMO.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:59 pm

jjinsc wrote:this does not seem to be an issue with dress pants or casual slacks with the proper pocket width and depth. So pocket carry does also require consideration of your mode of dress when pocket carrying.
As a man, I never wear dress pants or casual slacks. :D >:)

...only kidding! You actually make a fine point. While its true that I never wear anything other than jeans, you show how easily it is to get lost in your own personal experiences without factoring in how others dress. I concede to your point.

In jeans (you know, man pants! >:) ), I've never found an automatic that I could fully purchase prior to drawing.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:00 pm

You just have to learn to dress around your carry. I mostly wear jeans or shorts in summer, but always wear my shirt tail out or a light jacket in cooler weather. I have found that there are few situations in which an IWB holster won't suffice. In winter, I wear my old M-65 field jacket and sometimes drop the UC Lite .38 in the pocket. You hardly know it is there. In fact, when cycling, I drop it in my jersey pocket it is so light. I have a Ruger SP101 .357 2 1/2 inch. But, it is heavy. Besides, I took it to the range with 125 gr. JHP's and when I fired it, it looked like a blow torch and sounded like a jet taking off. I keep it in the truck.

riadat

Postby riadat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:13 pm

I have owned lots of revolvers-- taurus 85, sp101, etc. I like the smiths. And I also like the Mika pocket holster and safariland speedloaders. I find that the Mika holster with my 642 stays in the pocket in whatever I am wearing and the gun comes out. Similar to what Nathan said about not needing to adjust the gun-- it comes out and there is no safety and you point and shoot. Also I sometimes carry my j-frame in my jacket pocket with no holster if I'm out walking the dog. You can put your hand in the jacket pocket and hold the gun and even point it while still in the pocket and since there is an internal hammer you could shoot it through the jacket if you wanted to. You can't do that as well with an auto.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:33 pm

Cocked and locked is the only way to carry a 1911. Three things must happen before the gun will fire. A revolver, although considered safe, only has to have one thing happen to fire. However, I would not want a Glock in my pocket even with a holster. But that is just me.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

gunnutz

Postby gunnutz » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:18 am

thanks for all the replies guys. definatly food for thought. mostly when not working im in jeans or in the summer cargo shorts or something similar. i guess like many i'm looking for the unicorn....lol. just looking for the perfect edc that would fit in the pocket of any of my jeans or shorts. i know the lcp would but not sold completely on the .380. seems the cm/pm9 would be a pocketable size but i see mixed reviews on reliability and pocketability. i have only handled both at my lgs. never shot either.

neilbedwell

Postby neilbedwell » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:30 am

Unfortunately, I can't wear man pants to work. LOL! Work dictates that I wear, at a minimum, khakis and a button up shirt. Pocket carry is literally the only option I have. I carried a S&W 638 for years in my right front pocket. Eventually, it started looking like I had tied it to a chain and drug it down the highway behind my truck. In a moment of stupidity a couple of years ago, I sold it to a relative. I purchased a Ruger LC9 and have pocket carried it ever since. It's a brick and I have come to hate it. It's too heavy, the trigger STINKS and it looks like I am carrying a chunk of firewood in my pocket. It's impossible to hide the fact I carry with that thing even in a good holster. My wife carries a 638 like my old one and I "borrowed" hers the other day. She almost didn't get it back. To make a long story short, I'm going to sell the LC9 and go back to a J Frame Smith revolver. I've spent the last few months researching and traveling to every gun store I can find to actually put my hands on the guns that are currently available that I believe would work for pocket carry.

In summary here are my opinions: I REALLY like the Sig P938 and it seems to be a solid weapon. I will most likely own one in the future. I like the Kimber Solo but I've read some pretty bad reviews on it so it's not an option. The M&P Shield is nice but it's, in my opinion, too big for pocket carry (it's actually a tad bigger than my LC9 in size). The polymer framed Ruger LCR revolvers are neat but they're slightly heavier than the S&W revolvers and more expensive. Not sure what I would stand to gain there over buying the Smith. So, I'm back to the J Frame for now as my favorite pocket gun.

Like I said, my ONLY option for carry is in my pocket as I have to wear a tucked in shirt every day. It is not the perfect way to carry (if such a thing exists). No matter what, get a GOOD holster.

gunnutz

Postby gunnutz » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:19 am

i had a model 85 snubbie that worked great. i gave it to my mom for home protection. i figured it was a simple set up and for an athritic 70 year old lady that's likely best. now im on the search for a replacement and would kind of like to have a small semi-auto. just not sure which way to go.

Return to “Carry Guns”