Sig malfunction

Defensive carry handguns.
Nathan
Site Admin

Sig malfunction

Postby Nathan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:40 pm

I took out my Sig 229R today for a little shooting and my heart sank when round number 913 (total round count through gun) failed to feed. :evil:

I could find no reason for the stoppage. I've invested quite a bit of money into this gun that now has one of the best single action triggers that I own (double action first shot still sucks) and was saddened by the failure. This is two failures to feed in less than 1,000 rounds (#240 also failed to feed a few years ago). :(
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Gunsmith

Re: Sig malfunction

Postby Gunsmith » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:01 pm

I got an old Star-B and the junker runs like a sewing machine.

LWP

Postby LWP » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:21 pm

It looks like the cartridge is too fat for the chamber. The bullet entered but the brass got stuck.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:54 pm

That's a tuff situation. Wondering when it may happen again.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:25 pm

your probably limp wristing in your old age :D. Got any pics of what the case looks like? Ill bet the failure was ammo related and not the gun.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:59 am

Better dump it.....totally unreliable. You will never trust it again..
Randy
"The more I shoot the luckier I seem to Get"

NRA Certified Instructor-Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, NRA CRO. competitor in SASS, IDPA, USPSA, NRA Smallbore rifle 3/4 p. NRA High Power Rifle Service Rifle, NRA Air Rifle

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:15 pm

Nathan wrote:Image

I took out my Sig 229R today for a little shooting and my heart sank when round number 913 (total round count through gun) failed to feed. :evil:

I could find no reason for the stoppage. I've invested quite a bit of money into this gun that now has one of the best single action triggers that I own (double action first shot still sucks) and was saddened by the failure. This is two failures to feed in less than 1,000 rounds (#240 also failed to feed a few years ago). :(

That's to many. I hate DA pistols. Either go back to FMJ's, find a smith you trust, or dump it. I would not feel comfortable with it anymore.

I figured you for a 1911 guy...

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:45 pm

Pickwick wrote:I figured you for a 1911 guy...
I am a 1911 guy...and a Glock guy and a Browning guy and an HK guy and a Springfield guy and a Colt guy, etc. I'm an equal opportunity gun fanatic. 8)
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:35 pm

The trouble is you will need to fire 250 rounds through it to feel comfortable.

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:24 pm

Truthfully, Nathan I really think it was an ammo problem and NOT your gun ( I was just razzing you on dumping your Sig)....it would be interesting to mic. it out and see where it might be out of spec in comparison to ones that drop in the case gauge or your own barrel..... I have a mic and a case gauge...bring it over and let's find out what the REAL problem is....

Randy

NRA Certified Instructor-Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, NRA CRO. competitor in SASS, IDPA, USPSA, NRA Smallbore rifle 3/4 p. NRA High Power Rifle Service Rifle, NRA Air Rifle

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:04 pm

1813Anschutz wrote:I really think it was an ammo problem and NOT your gun
It's highly possible, but a slight bump on the back of the slide and it went into battery and discharged the cartridge.

You may remember this video I made several years ago. I had an out of spec 357 Sig cartridge that was just slightly long. As the video shows, my M&P choked on it whereas the Glock 31 slammed it home. I eventually fired the cartridge after placing it #2 in the magazine to see if the Glock would cycle it after a discharge and it did just fine.

Perhaps Glocks and HKs have spoiled me over the years by giving me unrealistic expectations of performance but in a firefight, a stoppage is a stoppage. I'm very disappointed in this failure. I do enjoy my Sig. After sending it into Sig for custom trigger work I really couldn't ask for a better single action trigger. The Sig has been serving lately as my primary home defense gun. I like having a double action first shot trigger just to provide an additional slight margin of safety before the gun discharges. I believe this would be beneficial if being surprised in my sleep.

For now its going back in my safe. I'll use my HK45 as my primary home defense gun. The Sig has some proving to do before being trusted again. B(
Nathan in Image

1813Anschutz

Postby 1813Anschutz » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:28 pm

Well, you got to practice a stoppage drill then........bopping the slide like that however suggests to me an ammo issue and not a gun issue....Were it me I would run a few more rounds downrange, but I really do think your Sig is good to go.

Randy

PS...the only Sig in the herd is also a 229 that has been flawless. MY HD gun is my S&W 66 4 in barrel revolver because it always goes bang!! And if it is going bang it is because I MADE it do so....

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:41 pm

I had a Kimber 1911 where the slide stop popped up and locked the slide. Kimber simply didn't put a detent in the slide lock. Today's guns are poorly made. The Sig is stamped parts. I may look at a RIA 1911, because the company is impressive.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:23 pm

Nathan wrote:
1813Anschutz wrote:I really think it was an ammo problem and NOT your gun
It's highly possible, but a slight bump on the back of the slide and it went into battery and discharged the cartridge.

For now its going back in my safe. I'll use my HK45 as my primary home defense gun. The Sig has some proving to do before being trusted again. B(

just go ahead and box it up. Ill be sending you $75 which should cover shipping to me. Ill make sure it gets a loving home :D
IDPA & USPSA Member

neilbedwell

Postby neilbedwell » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:45 pm

How strange is this: On a whim this afternoon, I decided to drag out the Sig P229 I bought two or three years ago and tossed into the back of my safe and shoot it for the first time. LOL! The wife LOVED the single action trigger on it (so much so, she told me I just "lost this one" and that I better go buy another one for myself). She had one FTE and one stove pipe. I attributed both of them to limp wristing since it ran flawlessly for me. We only shot a couple hundred rounds this time, though. Not a big workout for it. Just too funny you posted this today!!!!

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:54 pm

Gunsmith wrote: Today's guns are poorly made. The Sig is stamped parts. I may look at a RIA 1911, because the company is impressive.

What gave you the idea the Sig is stamped parts? Your full of crap, as my Sig is not even one of there high end models but it's fired flawlessly for 1250 rounds without a single FTF of any kind. If your going to talk shit at least make it something you know about. Now I carried a Kimber for several years and I have to admit that I had to break it in because it did feed flawlessly from the start. Not until it had around 350 rounds through it did it start not having any trouble. There was one part in it that I had to replace because it was stamped. It was the integral firing pin block safety. It broke and when they sent me a new one I decided to make one out of a piece of industrial hack saw blade and never had any more trouble. Never found any stamped parts like that on the Sig though. I do think the quality control on ammo has gone down hill with the way they have upped production and agree it would be one of the first things I look at with your gun Nathan.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:07 am

Gunsmith wrote: The Sig is stamped parts. I may look at a RIA 1911, because the company is impressive.

the only thing on a sig that might be stamped would be the slide release and the decocking lever. the rest are either forged or MIM.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Sig stamped parts on my 226

Trigger relay bar, ejector, slide stop, decocker, barrel release arm, interuptor,

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:03 pm

My sig had a light primer strike, and upon examination I found the MIM hammer is picking up a concave from hitting a hardened firing pin. I can handle the poor ergonomics, and the cheesy parts, but when it doesn't go 'bang', it loses all credibility. I sent my other sig 232 for warranty and told I needed to pay $150 (shipping and a factory tune up)

Crap gun, cheap parts, and warranty is worthless.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Gunsmith wrote:when it doesn't go 'bang', it loses all credibility.

+1.
Nathan in Image

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:53 pm

What kind of ammo were you using? And what had you been shooting in it previously?
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:44 pm

The 'Old Gunny' uses Seller and beloit or Finochhi. But, full size guns don't get light primer strikes. Normally that happens in seecamps and micros

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:11 pm

Gunsmith wrote:The 'Old Gunny' uses Seller and beloit or Finochhi. But, full size guns don't get light primer strikes. Normally that happens in seecamps and micros

ive had a couple of full size guns come through the shop with light strikes. full size guns are just as susceptible to poor machining as sub compact guns.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Gunsmith

Postby Gunsmith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:59 am

hkguy wrote:
Gunsmith wrote:The 'Old Gunny' uses Seller and beloit or Finochhi. But, full size guns don't get light primer strikes. Normally that happens in seecamps and micros

ive had a couple of full size guns come through the shop with light strikes. full size guns are just as susceptible to poor machining as sub compact guns.

I agree - but this happened after 700 rounds. And when I examined the gun I notice the hammer was picking up an indentation from hitting the firing pin.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:51 am

Gunsmith wrote:
hkguy wrote:

I agree - but this happened after 700 rounds. And when I examined the gun I notice the hammer was picking up an indentation from hitting the firing pin.

pretty natural for metal to peen when repeatedly struck against another metal. FWIW, i just checked my USPc, GP100, S&W 625, S&W 617, Kimber and STI 1911's and they show signs of the hammer peening where it strikes the firing pin. I would wager that i would see the same thing on my hammer fired rifles.
IDPA & USPSA Member

Return to “Carry Guns”