G26 or me?

Defensive carry handguns.
Smurf

G26 or me?

Postby Smurf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:11 pm

For several years I have accepted the fact that I cannot shoot my G26 as accurate as I would like. My G19 is much more accurate for me. I have now decided something has got to give. Either I go back to my old G19 or, as I would like something more compact, search for a replacement.
So the hunt is on, just to see if I can find something. If my S&W 686 wasn't so heavy and bulky I am very accurate with it.
Any one have any suggestions other than the Shield, which is what I am considering.

hkguy

Re: G26 or me?

Postby hkguy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:34 pm

what is your definition of bad accuracy? the shorter sight radius will make 20+ yard shots more difficult then the same shot with your 19 but it will not make them impossible.

I shoot IDPA with a guy who chose to compete with his G26 and he was able to keep up with the guys shooting 17's and 34's shooting at the same skill level.

its not designed to be a bullseye gun and frankly for me, i shoot for combat accuracy. a 4in group at 10 yards is more than acceptable for me though i know several of my carry and competition guns can shoot much smaller groups. My focus in competitions is to put two shots in an 8 in circle as fast as i can. I carry that mentality over to what i expect from my CC guns.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:07 pm

Well, you are right. I have considered the shorter barrel. I havea 4-6 in radius at 10yds. I just felt that was not good enough. With this G26, I have to cover the bullseye with the front sight. That leaves room for error that I don't like but in a defensive situation I'm not going to worry about that. Maybe I'm just wanting another gun.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:25 pm

wanting another gun is never a bad thing! im not sure how much you practice or what groups you see with your 19, but more practice with the G26 might help shrink the groups down. the last time i shot a gun for a group was a VP9 i rented, for 50 rounds, the main group was about 3 inches at 7 yards and i have a few out to the 8in area from shooting controlled pairs.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Hi Smurf. Personally I would suggest shooting from the hip at 3 to 5 yards and seeing what gets you the best accuracy, if your main consideration is as a concealed carry gun. Long shots may be necessary and I think the accuracy you stated at 10 yards is more than adequate but most self defense shooting happens within 4 yards without time to sight in.

Just my two cents.

Peace
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:18 pm

My practice is sporadic. Me, my son, son-in-law and two grandsons have been going every two weeks lately. Trying to out shoot the other. Mainly just having fun, after all that is what it's about. But I have been concentrating on accuracy and being on top. Goot a little a frustrated Sat by missing a copperhead. I know that is early for around here but there he was and I didn't have time to aim. He was a little fellow, about a foot long, but I should have got him before my grandson did with a Security Six I gave him for his birthday. The rest of the day I wasn't doing as well as I wanted to. Like I said, this little gun is not as accurate, or I should say, I'm not, as my 19. Never has been. But probable due to shorter barrel.
I will try some from the hip sahooting next weekend when we go out again.

Chris C

Postby Chris C » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:57 am

If you could put your G26 in a Ransom Rest I think you'd change your thinking. I shoot a G27. When I shot once every 5 or 6 years, :shock: I did well to hit the side of a barn. (not literally, but close to it!) When I started shooting 100-200 rounds a week my groups went down to 3 and 4 inches at the typical 3 to 5 yard situation distances. A real pistolero (used to shoot with his FBI team) friend of mind stopped by one afternoon when I was shooting and asked it he could try out my pistol. He hit a 10" steel plate at 75 yards with it 6 times out of the 10 shots I had in it. :o When I expressed a desire to be able to shoot like that he just told me to "Be patient and keep shooting because 9 out of 10 times the bad shots have to do more with the nut behind the trigger..........not the trigger". Keep practicing.............and keep in mind you are talking about situation distances that are typically 3 to 5 yards.
Chris

As a regular course of procedure, I carry a pistol because a cop is too heavy!

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:32 pm

I have a portable shooting table with attached seat and barrel rest that I use for sighting long guns. I could try it with the G26. Ya'll are right I just need to shoot more. I'm now retired so I could go more often if the bank acct can stand it :)

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:17 am

Its not your 26, you just need more practice. With very little effort I regularly shoot 8 inch groups at 20m and drop 8 of 10 on torso sized targets at 50m. I have seen some crazy video of shooters hitting steel at staggering ranges.

Return to “Carry Guns”