What is Your Primary Carry and Why

Defensive carry handguns.
Hand and Steel

What is Your Primary Carry and Why

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:01 am

Explain your primary carry piece (not back up, occasional carry, etc.) and why you carry it.

For me it's an Arcus 98DA. The reasoning is
-Excellent ergonomics for point shooting
-Excellent reliability
-Built to outlast the pyramids
-Is a solid impact weapon at contact distance
-Great accuracy with the sights
-Commonality with some Hi-Power components
-Double action to single action with a heavy double action
-High capacity
-9mm so decent power with low recoil and ammo is easy to come by
-A good size balancing performance and concealability
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

MisterB

Re: What is Your Primary Carry and Why

Postby MisterB » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:29 am

I carry a Sig p938 9mm. It's small enough to legitimately pocket carry, yet packs a punch. It's also extremely accurate and a joy to shoot.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:32 am

HK P30 chambered in .40 loaded with Federal HST, 180 grain JHP carried in an Alessi CQC on hip. "HK, because fuck you". :D
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:03 am

S&W 642 with speer 135gr GD's and an extra reload.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:10 pm

Glock 23. Total fanboy. My 26 has endured tens of thousands of rounds, no maintenance, and still keeps ticking. My 23 fits my hand, conceals in the proper place IWB on the hip very nicely, holds 14 rounds, is an easy pinky-less draw, hits what I point it at, and has 0.00% FTF or FTL rate. It has caused me to quit buying conceal weapons and focus my $ on more entertaining guns and ammo.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Tater

Postby Tater » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:17 pm

S & W 642 in a R. Grizzle pocket holster. Tried my Glock 19 in a iwb holster, never felt comfortable caring it, I found a forum with excellent carry recommendations which made sense to me and began to carry my 642.

Thanks Nathan.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:29 pm

yankeejib wrote:Glock 23. Total fanboy.
+1!

I'm carrying my HK right now because...well...fuck you that's why...but I know its only a matter of time before I work my way back around full circle to my Glock 23 or 32. I'm loving the ergonomics of my P30 right now but once I get some comparable sights on my Glocks I'll be much happier. OEM Glock night sights suck in comparison to the night sights that are on my P30. Currently looking for contrasting color night sights for the Glock.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Stickmaker

Postby Stickmaker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:34 pm

H&K P7. It's built like a safe and designed to handle hot military loads. It's very, very reliable. I can hit consistently with it. In a good holster it hugs flat to the body. The manual of arms feels natural to me, but would be unfamiliar to most people. Oh, and my paternal grandmother's maiden name was Koch. :-) We even pronounce it the same way.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:28 pm

G 19 October thru May, S & W 442 June thru September.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

ridurall

Postby ridurall » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 pm

Year round no matter what Pinkhmr's custom Colt Delta Elite 10mm with a Foster lower in a Milt Sparks VMII IWB holster with a two magazine carrier on the other side of the belt. It's all on a double layer custom belt I picked up at a gun show several years ago carried under neath my bib overalls. It's my daily uniform or just plain everyday cloths I've worn for many years. In wearing my holster this way if I have to use a restroom I never have to take the belt off no matter what I'm doing. In 21 years as the owner if my pest control company I've always carried on my jobs and never had any person complain about me carrying. I do go out of my way to not carry in places that don't want me to or where it's not legal however I've always carried at my bank that has a "no weapons" sign on the front door. I carried long before the head office had them put up the sign and while having an argument with a friend pawn shop owner that said it was not legal to carry in an Oklahoma bank I posted a question on line asking if anyone knew of any state law that prevented it. I happened to mention my banks name in the process and the bank manager (whom I'm friends with) pointed his finger at me the next time I came in to deposit checks with one of those come here gestures. I guess they have a computer program that catches anytime some one mentions the banks name and the head office called him about my question and that I mentioned I carried there. He put two and two together and knew it was me. He didn't have any problem with me carrying but mentioned that the head office didn't want shoot outs in the bank. I told him I didn't have any attention of having a shoot out unless I figured a bad guy was going to shoot me. If they want money they can have it. That was over 10 years ago and he deposited my checks today.
Oh I forgot to mention that I carry it in memory of Randy and because I like a 1911 with a flat main spring housing and I now much prefer the stainless steel to the blued steel and alloy Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 that I carried before this gun.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:56 am

American Handgunner asks the question this month. If you could only have one handgun, which would it be? Although I prefer to carry the G19, if I could only have one handgun it would be my Smith 686. I think these questions are similar but different st the same time.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:11 pm

My daily carry is my Browning Hi Power Standard with Hornady 124 gr. XTP's. It is accurate, quick on the target, and is ergonomically pleasing to carry and shoot. I carry IWB in a leather, double clip holster from Bullard Leather in Adzle, Tx. Sometimes, I forget I have it on. I experimented with a number of factory loads, and decided on the 124 gr. XTP's as a good compromise between the lighter, faster stuff and the heavy 135/147 gr. loads. I won't shoot Plus P's in a semi-auto. I think they beat the gun up too much over time. Occasionally, I switch between the BHP and my Colt Model 70 SS 1911 with 230 gr. FMJ's because it is a sentimental favorite. But, in shooting multiple targets and heaters, I am much better with the BHP. 13 rnds, too. :D

Tye

Postby Tye » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:09 pm

TWO for my primaries:
Beretta PX4 SC 9mm w/Federal HST, 147gr generally OWB, concealed under a shirt or sweater vest.
Beretta NANO with same AMMO, when I want a more concealable alternative in the front pocket.
Best regards,

Tye

Tye

Postby Tye » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:10 pm

TWO for my primaries:
Beretta PX4 SC 9mm w/Federal HST, 147gr generally OWB, concealed under a shirt or sweater vest.
Beretta NANO with same AMMO, when I want a more concealable alternative in the front pocket.
Best regards,

Tye

Tye

Postby Tye » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:12 pm

WTF -- another double post. I hate Windows 10 -- my ASUS computer hasn't updated their touchpad for my laptop allowing for disable of the touch pad! Sorry folks.
Best regards,

Tye

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Apple

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:23 pm

I just scored a sequential pair of Gen 4 Glock 22s (.40). With winter approaching it will become much easier to conceal a service size handgun.. I fully expect to winter my HK in the safe.
Nathan in Image

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Tye wrote:WTF -- another double post. I hate Windows 10 -- my ASUS computer hasn't updated their touchpad for my laptop allowing for disable of the touch pad! Sorry folks.

Lol. ASUS hasn't updated their TouchPad all these weeks after the release of Windows 10, but yet you hate Windows 10?

Tye

Postby Tye » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Yes. Hate them both!
I figured Windows 8 was so horrible why not update? Will definitely maintain my older Win 7 PCs until they die!
Best regards,

Tye

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:34 pm

Tye wrote:Yes. Hate them both!
I figured Windows 8 was so horrible why not update? Will definitely maintain my older Win 7 PCs until they die!

I think I can help you out here. Win 8 was such a piece of shit that much of it carries over if you simply do the upgrade to 10. Instead of upgrading Windows 8, do a format and fresh install of 10 and you'll be much happier assuming you are capable of installing/updating your own drivers. First you'll need your Windows 7/8/8.1 serial number. You can get that either from your documentation or install Magic Jellybean Keyfinder (the free version will do what you need to do) and it will extract your serial number. Once you have this, go to Microsoft.com and download the Media Creator Tool. Execute the Media Creator Tool and select the option to install Windows 10 on another computer. It will then create either a bootable DVD or a bootable USB drive for you. Once it has created the bootable disk or drive, reboot your computer do your new disk and select to do a new install. Delete all your partitions on your hard drive and select to install Windows 10. You will need your Win 7/8/8.1 serial key to proceed.

It's a good idea to have drivers on hand prior to and it may take doing manual updates a few times but once you get it installed properly, Windows 10 is absolutely rock solid and surpasses 7 in every way. I tried it both ways on five different computers in my home and the fresh installs are much faster and stable. Nothing locks up anymore. Windows 10 is everything that Windows 8 should have been and more. Here are a few relavent links.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software ... /windows10
Nathan in Image

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:41 am

Tye wrote:Yes. Hate them both!

Check the DELL website for discontinued/clearance machines. $400.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:59 am

I swap back and forth between Kahr cm9 and Glock 26. Neither have manual safety which I am not used to. I do have some with man safety but not in my carry rotation. I'm afraid my old memory will forget if I need a weapon.

mattinglyt

Postby mattinglyt » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:25 pm

I carry a SW 340PD. Federal Premium 158 grain JHP 357 mag.

I used to carry a 1911 IWB and had no issues concealing or carrying it, but medical issues prevent me from carrying with any weight or a tight belt on my waistline anymore. This little hand cannon easily pocket carries anywhere I need and weighs next to nothing.
Ted
Dysfunctional Veteran
US Army 63B20 H8

Renigeid

Postby Renigeid » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:12 pm

Well, my daily carry changes with where I am going for the most part. Here around the farm I carry my old S&W Mod 60 loaded with 124 gr + p ammo. If I am going to see my eye doctor I carry my Kahr PM9 in my pocket and my Glock 22, 357 Sig barrel, loaded with sixteen 124 gr Hornady JHP's in my Kindle bag along with an extra mag. Usually just for a quick run to WallyWorld I keep the old Mod 60 strapped on. At night, sitting in my PJ's, I usually have my Glock 22 on. Then to bed with the G22 AND the Mod 60. Oh yeah, almost forgot, my third bed time padner is my old trusty AK47 with a 30 round mag loaded with alternating full metal jackets and hollow points. Am I paranoid? Nope, just an old man who believes in keeping safe. Will be 80 in November and just not as strong as I once was. Yeah, nature is a bitch. Jim

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:49 pm

Renigeid wrote:Then to bed with the G22 AND the Mod 60. Oh yeah, almost forgot, my third bed time padner is my old trusty AK47

I like this approach. 8-)
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Return to “Carry Guns”