Favorite backup guns

Defensive carry handguns.
Hand and Steel

Re: Favorite backup guns

Postby Hand and Steel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:50 pm

I know it's not as "scientific" as a lot of the modern ballistics testing / statistical analysis, but one of the things that has stuck in my mind the most over the years was something that W.E. Fairbairn and E.A. Sykes, men who were personally involved in about as many shoot-outs as anyone ever has been, said in relation to their theory of "stopping power".

They were very much of the "shoot him into the ground" mentality, arguing that the number of hits, and the speed of succession with which those hits were delivered, was as important as any other factor. They noted that medical evidence of the day suggested that wounds inflicted by Thompson submachine guns were more devastating than pistols, despite the fact that they fired the same cartridge as the Colt .45 Auto that Fairbairn and Sykes primarily used, and that the actual number of hits might not necessarily vary from subgun to handgun, indicating that the rapidity of hits had something to do with "stopping power".

Cutting edge science (even if it has not yet been "officially" applied to the field of ballistics) has shown us that when the body suffers an injury, the electromagnetic field of the body concentrates in the area of the injury, leaving the field weaker in other areas. This means that shock to the nervous system is greater when a second or third injury is inflicted in a different and now "unprotected" area of the body with very little temporal separation from the original injury, which makes sense when one considers the interface between the electromagnetic field of the body and nervous system.

Chinese martial arts have long employed a concept in which blows are delivered in pairs or more, the idea again being that the less time between hits, the less time the electrical field of the body has to spread back out to "protect" other areas. Of course the ancient Chinese didn't use the Western "scientific"(materialistic) terminology and instead referred to it in terms of "chi" and "life force". Another example of this principle is in bare knuckle fighting and Western boxing, where it's not at all uncommon to see someone totally unphased by several good hits across the jaw, but it's rare to see someone take a well delivered "one-two" combination in rapid succession and want to keep going.

Sykes wrote in a later work that the rapidity of hits caused greater neurological shock and was therefore more likely to effect a "stop". While he and Fairbairn advocated aiming (primarily by instinct) at center mass, Sykes remarked that the vulnerable part of a man's anatomy was anywhere from the crotch to the head, and that two hits in rapid succession anywhere along the centerline would "dispose of him permanently".

It's important to note that these men were not theoreticians or desk jockeys, but had learned from their own personal experience in several close quarters gun fights where they got to see the results of their shots firsthand, so if "experience" is worth anything, their's might merrit looking into.

Peace
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

chemist

Postby chemist » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Pickwick wrote:Autoloaders are not as reliable as revolvers.

Throw a revolver and a G19 down on pavement 5 times each, and tell me that revolver isn't locked up and as useful as a rock.
"Don't tread on me" - Leave me and my property unmolested, and I won't have a sneaking desire to imagine you with a bullet displacing your brain tissue.

Pickwick

Postby Pickwick » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Well, if I decide to slam my pistol into the pavement a few times, I'll buy a Glock.

Montanapatriot

Postby Montanapatriot » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:34 pm

I carry an alloy J frame, the 637. I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs and I have never considered it to have a recoil issue. I just don't understand how people can think 38 Special can have excessive recoil. It barks because of the 1 7/8" barrel but it doesn't hurt or come off target like a large caliber handgun.

Return to “Carry Guns”