Titan

Defensive carry handguns.
Nathan
Site Admin

Titan

Postby Nathan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:46 am

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =554034941

Finally got around to ordering the double stack 10mm Dan Wesson Titan. Wondering what holster options are available, and if this beast would be well suited in a western gun belt?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

MisterB

Re: Titan

Postby MisterB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Congrats on the new gun! I wouldn't think this model would exactly be a dropdown on any holster maker's list of available models. You'll probably need to go leather, and get one for maybe a Sig 1911 with rail, and the Sig slide. Sig makes traditional 1911 slides, and one that looks more like a P226 slide. It might fit the Titan better, since it looks pretty beefy. You'll probably still need to get the leather wet and work it in areas that are too tight.

Does your Titan accept traditional 1911 grips? If so, maybe some grips made from antler would tie in a western gunbelt, if you go that option. You could also get a shoulder holster. That's how I like carrying my 10mm in the woods, and it would make for a better setup on a side by side ATV too.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Thanks much! I wasn't sure about using standard 1911 holsters because the trigger guard is exaggerated and squared. I'm not sure if the gun would slide down far enough into the holster. As I understand it, the grips are standard 1911. It will primarily be for formal and future press events; I'll continue to carry my Glock 20 into the woods when I'm riding most likely. The dust load is so heavy where we ride (well hell, you went with us!) that I'd hate filling this (or any 1911, really) with so much debris.

...so what do you think...traditional brown or black western gun belt?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Hand and Steel

Postby Hand and Steel » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:12 pm

Congratulations on your new pistol.

Nathan wrote:It will primarily be for formal and future press events
so what do you think...traditional brown or black western gun belt?

If it's going to be worn in the public eye, go with brown. Black leather coupled with guns makes people think of Nazis and 1% bikers. If you're trying to manage your image, the last thing you want to do is look like a "black hat".

A set of custom wood grips could help blend it with the holster - if the holster is going to be tooled, the same pattern could be applied to the grips.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:15 pm

any 1911 holster that will accommodate a squared off trigger should work.
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks all for the input. Can anybody recommend a western holster maker? I haven't kept up with that market segment and don't know who the go-to guy is.
Nathan in Image

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:33 pm

Nathan wrote:Thanks much! I wasn't sure about using standard 1911 holsters because the trigger guard is exaggerated and squared. I'm not sure if the gun would slide down far enough into the holster. As I understand it, the grips are standard 1911. It will primarily be for formal and future press events; I'll continue to carry my Glock 20 into the woods when I'm riding most likely. The dust load is so heavy where we ride (well hell, you went with us!) that I'd hate filling this (or any 1911, really) with so much debris.

...so what do you think...traditional brown or black western gun belt?

I'd definitely go brown. Where the gun is all black, it'll just get lost and blend in as one big hunk of black if you also have a black holster. It's a 4K unusual gun that you're wanting people to see, so that's your best bet.

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:43 pm

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:45 pm

Aside from the display error (.45LC cartridges on a .45ACP gun) what would the preference be for ride height? Up on the belt or dropped down? This is something that I want to order only once.
Nathan in Image

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Nathan wrote:Image

Aside from the display error (.45LC cartridges on a .45ACP gun) what would the preference be for ride height? Up on the belt or dropped down? This is something that I want to order only once.

You sure the long cartridges aren't for that rifle? Not much point in carrying a bandolier belt of singles for a mag fed pistol.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:05 pm

Dubhan wrote:You sure the long cartridges aren't for that rifle?

Yes; that rifle pre-dates .45LC.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:11 pm

t1.jpg
t1.jpg (68.85 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

When I ordered my Titan I had a lengthy discussion with the seller stating that I required a flawless gun with absolutely no signs of handling wear. I had no intention of spending $4k for a gun that was anything less than perfect. I picked it up today (it was still sealed in the UPS box at my FFL when I arrived; I opened it myself) and you can clearly see the shiny knocked spot on the slide as well as a drag mark up by the front sight. I realize holster wear is normal but holster wear tells a story beyond "the clerk was careless".
This is the danger of buying online. The seller assured me that his gun was absolutely flawless. In fact, here is a paste of our email conversation:

Hello, I'm seeking a Titan but I require an absolutely flawless gun with no handling marks. I see variations in the finish in some of your pictures but cannot tell if this is from oil and lint or if there are actually blemishes in the finish. Also, has this weapon been test fired since it left the manufacturer? Thanks,

Hell Yes, this is flawless. I have more than one and only remove one from the box for pictures. I do have them untouched in the box from when they left the manufacture.

Thank You

I don't know what if any recourse I have as I bought direct from him instead of through gunbroker. :(
Nathan in Image

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:50 pm

I take it you left the FFL with the gun? You're supposed to refuse it if it doesn't meet the very clear standards you had with the seller, so it can be sent back for an exchange or refund, without the seller being able to claim you are the one that damaged it. It shouldn't matter that you purchased it outside of GB. If this guy had more than one Titan, chances are he's an FFL, vs just a guy selling a gun. You could have taken recourse against the business, and you also have your credit card company or ability to cancel a check if paid that way. There's also potentially a shipping insurance claim, if there was some sort of damage to the box. This is going to be tougher to do, if you accepted possession of the gun, but it's worth pursuing. Contact the seller first and explain the situation and send the picture, and see if he's willing to make it right by trading you for another one that's in the condition you were promised this one is in.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:02 pm

Man, that is a drag. I'm going through this with an internet seller right now, although my item isn't nearly $4K. Have you contacted the seller and sent pics? You have a paper trail that does constitute some sort of agreement/contract that he did not meet.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:43 am

Dubhan wrote:
Nathan wrote:
When I ordered my Titan I had a lengthy discussion with the seller stating that I required a flawless gun with absolutely no signs of handling wear. I had no intention of spending $4k for a gun that was anything less than perfect. I picked it up today (it was still sealed in the UPS box at my FFL when I arrived; I opened it myself) and you can clearly see the shiny knocked spot on the slide as well as a drag mark up by the front sight. I realize holster wear is normal but holster wear tells a story beyond "the clerk was careless".
This is the danger of buying online. The seller assured me that his gun was absolutely flawless. In fact, here is a paste of our email conversation:

Hello, I'm seeking a Titan but I require an absolutely flawless gun with no handling marks. I see variations in the finish in some of your pictures but cannot tell if this is from oil and lint or if there are actually blemishes in the finish. Also, has this weapon been test fired since it left the manufacturer? Thanks,

Hell Yes, this is flawless. I have more than one and only remove one from the box for pictures. I do have them untouched in the box from when they left the manufacture.

Thank You

I don't know what if any recourse I have as I bought direct from him instead of through gunbroker. :(

Send that shit back, get a refund and get stainless. It wont show every little scratch and rub. A 4k gun should LOOK like a 4k gun, and that finish is going to be a problem for a pimp.

jeffhughes

Postby jeffhughes » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:31 pm

Nate

Have you contacted the seller?

He has a good history on GB....

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:49 pm

The seller responded yesterday and offered to swap it out for the other gun he has. I'm going to verify with him that the one he has is flawless and if it is I'll make the swap.
Nathan in Image

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:51 pm

Dubhan wrote:get stainless.

Stainless isn't an option in this gun.
Nathan in Image

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:23 pm

Nathan wrote:The seller responded yesterday and offered to swap it out for the other gun he has. I'm going to verify with him that the one he has is flawless and if it is I'll make the swap.

That's really great news. It's too bad a $4,000.00 gun purchase ended up being a stressful hassle, but it sounds like it will work out in the end.

yankeejib

Postby yankeejib » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:59 pm

I think you should keep it and get it done up in Cerakote snakeskin, or maybe some skulls and spider webs. Or, I've been resisting the urge to airbrush one of my Glocks as brick and mortar with flames and glow coming out the end like a glass melting furnace.
Sincerely,
Professor Stu Padasol

Dubhan

Postby Dubhan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:25 pm

Nathan wrote:
Dubhan wrote:get stainless.

Stainless isn't an option in this gun.

That finish doesnt appear durable. Even if the replacement is flawless, it will look like ass in 6 months. It sucks that stainless isnt an option.

Its like buying an AMG that has a MAACO paint job....

hkguy

Postby hkguy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:25 am

personally i think your being a little too anal in this situation. it sounds like he followed your initial instructions to the T, provided that he did not unbox the others he had and just shipped one them as he received it from his distributor. Its completely plausible it left the factory like that. just waiting for you to put your first idiot mark on it : :D

i guess at the end of the day, to me they are a tool and its going to get wear marks sooner or later. its not like you got a Wilson Combat Supergrade or anything.,
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:25 am

Sad a gun of that price would mar so easily. Too, why didn't the seller check it out after your request prior to the sale. His reputation may be good but he obviously cannot be trusted. That rub near the sight appears to be more than a holstering or two to me.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

LWP

Postby LWP » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:25 pm

Nathan, exactly what is the finish on your Titan? It appears to be so non-durable that I should avoid it in the future.

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:37 pm

hkguy wrote:personally i think your being a little too anal in this situation

Possibly.

That said, this is as much as an investment as it is for any other purpose and damage diminishes value.

its not like you got a Wilson Combat Supergrade or anything.,

card.jpg
card.jpg (50.38 KiB) Viewed 3021 times

...yeah, I'm gonna guess you're being sarcastic.
Nathan in Image

Return to “Carry Guns”