My new gun only likes JHP

Defensive carry handguns.
Glock9mm

My new gun only likes JHP

Postby Glock9mm » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:33 am

I picked up a new Ruger 9E to use for home defense and to have another range gun. I went to try it out yesterday and had pretty strange results. First off I really like the gun. It's the same overall size as my G17 but slightly slimmer. The trigger is very much glock like but lighter. I found myself surprised at the break point a few times. I had poor results from the first few mags using federal champion and Walmart perfecta. I got stove pipes, double feeds about every other round. I then went through a mag each of 124+p gold dots, federal 115 grain JHP and 124 grain hydra-shoks. No one bobble from those three mags. Can I credit this to weak range ammo and a new stiff gun or something else?

hkguy

Re: My new gun only likes JHP

Postby hkguy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:20 am

try some different brands of range ammo before you blame ammo. it could be that its under powered to cycle the gun, though unlikely. it could be your shooting mechanics or any number of other things. put some quality brass cased range ammo like WWB or Rem green box and let us know how things are working
NRA Member and Certified NRA RSO
IDPA & USPSA Member
Michigan Gun Owner Member

Glock9mm

Postby Glock9mm » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:39 pm

Although unscientific, I cleaned it again today even though it was cleaned yesterday. I'm got a bunch more cosmoline like crud out of it. This has to be the dirtiest new weapon I've ever had. I removed the striker and cleaned out the channel and the pin. I scrubbed out the rails and the barrel hood contact area on the slide. I went back with a thin layer of gun oil and racked it as many times as my arms could stand. I left it in the safe with the slide locked back all day today. Now the slide feels like it's much easier to rack. It's smoother and takes less effort to lock back. I'm thinking the spring in this thing is just crazy tight. I'll run some more of the low power cheap stuff through it tomorrow to test it out.

YeeeahSteve

Postby YeeeahSteve » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:48 pm

Don't be discouraged quite yet. New guns, especially semi autos, need a break in period.

Return to “Carry Guns”