Leather dye in unfinished stainless

Defensive carry handguns.
Nathan
Site Admin

Leather dye in unfinished stainless

Postby Nathan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:15 pm

I spent the day carrying the new Commander in a well worn Alessi CQC/S holster and ended up looking like I was drawing on it with a Sharpie. Rubbing it hard with my thumb would eventually rub it off, but then it continued to happen. Is there an easy fix to keeping dye from the unpolished areas?
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Hand and Steel

Re: Leather dye in unfinished stainless

Postby Hand and Steel » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:47 am

Even with natural leather with no dye, the leather fibers will get into the pores of matte or parkerized metal. I used to carry with natural leather holsters, and I would end up with a black/tan pattern on the slide of the Arcus I was carrying at the end of the day. The only pistol I've carried which was never really prone to this is my polished blue Makarov.
"It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced — in a word, insane.” – Frank Herbert

"Welcome to Costco. I love you."

MisterB

Postby MisterB » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:04 am

This stuff should make cleaning it much easier than spit on your finger. Plus, who knows. Maybe it will condition the surface a bit so it doesn't stain as easily

http://www.flitz.com/gun-rifle-pistol-m ... h-cleaner/

Nathan
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks guys. It doesn't happen on the polished areas and I just wanted to get ahead of it to prevent any permanent markings.
Nathan in Image

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

samuelrp

Postby samuelrp » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:37 pm

Happens on my Springfield loaded champion too.
Maintain the sport. Take a kid shooting.

Return to “Carry Guns”